break in attempt

dheitzner

just a word of warning to all of those with ice huts out on lake simcoe - specifically near lefroy.

someone or ones, tried to break in to our hut off of killarny beach road.

we were out there on sat and discovered the attempt on sun so it happened on saturday night.

we believe that it was someone in a carr or truck, not on an atv or sled.

darcy

Nothing new.

When we had our hut at Innisfil, break-ins were very frequent.

Police seemed to think it was some teens from the area looking

for booze on the weekends. The local hut operator agreed and even mentioned a specific group.

Now we don't leave anything worth stealing in there.

Be wary of anyone coming by your hut to ask if you've caught anything.

They could be scoping out the huts to see which has anything worh taking.

Thanks for the warning Darcy.

didn't lose anything but they didn't get in.

all that we keep in there is a propane tank, bit of food and cheap propane stove. anything that i leave in there i am prepared to lose, as i had the same thing happen to me & my dad off of line 6, 15 years ago.

just sucks that people will do that sort of thing

They wouldn't need to try a second time Lew, they'd get enough money out of sueing you for booby trapping the handle you'd probably have to sell the hut along with just about everything else to pay for it. Their story would probably be "Oh we were just checking the door to make sure it was locked so no one would break in"! <_<

a guy i talked to a billy bobs bait up in north bay was telling me he puts a broken lock that looks like it was smashed on the door of his hut so thieves think that it has already been broken into and leave his alone. he claimed that the last 4 years of doing so he has not had a break in.

Cheers!

well thats to bad darcy...it pisses me off big time :devil::dunno: ive had mine broke into as well,i know how you feel...i would love to catch them in the act, :angry: i dont think it would be fisherman doing this it could just be teenagers or weekend warriors,because true fishermen like us here on OFC,would not do such a thing,if it was a true emergency maybe but this was not the case,it only takes a few idiots to ruin things doesnt it...???? cheers bud