Because I care about you

BITEME

To all My OFC Brothers and Sisters

I ran into this plant about 5 years ago in my area and at that time something internal told me to stay away.

It would appear that it is extending its reach. It is a very impressive looking plant.

sort of looks like a giant Queen Annes lace

Sorry no pictures but you can look it up online

BEWARE IT HAS A NASTY SIDE EFFECT THAT IS VERY PAINFUL AND HAZARDOUS!!!!! :stretcher:

Information Alert:

Giant Hogweed

The following exotic plant has been found in the Region of Waterloo. It is a health risk. During the course of your duties you may see this plant. Read the information on this bulletin and familiarize yourself on how to identify this plant and what precautions you should take if you encounter it during your duties.

Be Safe

Biteme

DO NOT TOUCH THIS PLANT. The plant exudes a clear watery sap, which sensitizes the skin to ultraviolet radiation. This can result in severe burns to the affected areas resulting in severe blistering and painful dermatitis. These blisters can develop into purplish or blackened scars. Proliferating populations in urban and suburban areas represents an increasing public health hazard.

· avoid physical contact with this plant

· the sap contains furanocoumarin that causes the skin to be photosensitive

· it is an introduced perennial plant that can grow 4 – 6 meter (15 - 20 feet) tall

· it belongs to the carrot or parsley family

· it is similar to our native Cow-Parsnip (Heraculeum maximum)

About this Plant

Giant Hogweed (Heracleum mantegazzianum) is a member of the parsley or carrot family, Apiaceae (Umbelliferae). It is characterized by its size and may grow to 5 to 7 metres in height. It is similar to Cow-Parsnip, (Heraculeum maximum or Heracleum lanatum). It has a stout dark reddish-purple stem and spotted leaf stalks. The stalks and stem produce sturdy pustulate bristles. The stem and stalks are hollow and the stems may be 5 to 10 cm in diameter. The compound leaves of giant hogweed may reach breadths of over one meter. Each leaflet is deeply incised. The inflorescence (flower cluster) is a broad flat-topped umbel composed of many small white florets. Each inflorescence/umbel may attain a diameter of 0.7 m.

Giant hogweed is native to the Caucasus Mountains and southwestern Asia. It was introduced to the gardens of Europe, the United Kingdom, Canada and the United States. It readily escaped and has naturalized in many of the places where it was first introduced. Growing along streams in Ontario, on Vancouver Island, and in Great Britain it forms a dense canopy out-competing native riverbank species and results in an increase in soil erosion along the stream banks where it occurs.

Giant hogweed often grows in wet areas but may colonize a wide variety of habitats such as along roadsides, other rights-of-way, vacant lots, streams and rivers.

If you come in contact with this plant, you could experience severe burns to your skin, and risk temporary or permanent blindness.

If you are exposed to Giant Hogweed:

· wash affected areas immediately with soap and water;

· keep the affected area out of the sun;

· seek medical advice for burns

· avoid sunlight for approximately 1-2 weeks to prevent blistering and scarring

· if you experience a reaction seek medical attention immediately

A pamphlet prepared by the Region of Waterloo on Hogweed is being distributed to each station along with this bulletin.

See the videos located on S:\General\Training\HogWeed

Further information can be found at www.ontarioweeds.com

This is weird that it got brought up.

I saw a huge plant on one of my neighbours property and did some research and found out that it was in fact giant hogweed.

definitely a nasty plant, stay away from them.

Anyone wading the Thames between Mitchell & St.Marys watch for this stuff. We've been watching what we think is hogweed sprouting in different places along the riverbank. It never seems to reach quite the size described in the video but it sure ain't Queen Anne's Lace either.

JF

Definitely a nasty plant and should be gotten rid of CAREFULLY when it is found. While the height and purplish stems are good indicators of giant hogweed, there are some similar native species, though, and you should be sure of your id before you go about removing a bunch of plants. Similar species include cow parsnip (as previously mentioned), wild parsnip and angelica. These species are in the same family as giant hogweed and are also found around the GTA. A quick Google search of species similar to will provide many links to web pages with id information.

Jon