Good Baits for Creek Smallies

mpagnan

Good morning all,

I'm going to be heading out to a couple streams tonight fishing deep pools for smallies and I was wondering what are the suggested baits for bass creek/river fishing? Would crayfish plastics texas rigged work the best?

Thanks for the advice.

I love tossing in-line spinners into pools, myself, for smallies. Just remember to use a ballbearing swivel to help minimize line twist.

Also, try tossing a tube if the fish aren't active.

And when all else fails, and you don't mind messing around with crawlers, a float and worm can save your day. I actually start with a float and worm on many of my river outings.

drop shot a gulp leech 3"

I saw a great article in a mag where the guy fished small to medium sized streams. He uses a 3 way swivel. Bell sinker on bottom and a 4 inch senk type plastic on a 2/0 or 3/0 hook. cast out and retrieve slowly. IF the current is strong you can cst out and leave it there. Always wanted to try it but I never fish smallies in a stream/river.

I would try use a big slip float ( Bigger slip floats cast further) rigged with a 4'inch Berkley leech, adjusted to hover in the strike zone 1-3 feet off bottom. The current will keep sweeping your bait over the fish, just make sure to give it action with your rod tip. But if the fish are feeding higher. Try the white Berkley Jerk shad rigged weightless to cast in the shallows. Let the fish tell you what they want and adjust to that.

Only if we knew how to speak to bass like Kevin Van Dam

Original floating Rapala minnow in grey colour. Just twitch it a bit on the surface. It's all my buddy will use. If you're in pike water be careful. You'll attract snotrockets too.

JF