Cottage/Back Lake Adventure With BillM, His Dad & Moosebunk

solopaddler

Just got back from 5 days at the camp with BillM, his dad Frank and Moosebunk. What a fantastic trip!!

I'm heading back up in a couple days with the family so don't have time for a formal report. I'll leave the full story for Bill to tell, he's got a bunch more pictures and some pretty funny video clips that hopefully he'll post. :)

Until then here's a short preview:

Bill's dad Frank with a decent pike:

Cottage-BackLakesJune17-212009008.jpg

Billy with one of many topwater smallmouth:

Cottage-BackLakesJune17-212009016.jpg

Shorelunch:

Cottage-BackLakesJune17-212009015.jpg

281/2" eye that I caught in the main lake:

Cottage-BackLakesJune17-212009026.jpg

Enroute to the landing:

CopyofCottage-BackLakesJune17-21200.jpg

Lining the canoe down the river into a back lake:

CopyofCottage-BackLakesJune17-21-1.jpg

Bunk with a decent eye:

Cottage-BackLakesJune17-212009051.jpg

Billy with a bunch of eater walleye:

Cottage-BackLakesJune17-212009058.jpg

Thanks for the laughs boys, it was an epic trip! :lol:

Looking forward to the full story from Bill...

Cheers, Mike

Edited by solopaddler

Well my dad and I have been looking forward to this trip for quite some time and we were not disappointed. Even though the weather wasn't the greatest for fishing (30 degree temps, no wind) we managed some nice ones.

The drive up, not a cloud in the sky.

IMG_0193.jpg

We loaded Mikes poor boat down quite a bit, but we made it!

IMG_0198.jpg

Gorgeous views.

IMG_0199.jpg

A nice little eye my oldman picked up at the end of the first day trolling a fire tiger shad rap in about 8ft of water...

IMG_0205.jpg

A snake we picked up fishing a nice back bay full of weeds.

IMG_0216.jpg

Shore lunch on Friday, consisting of a few small pike.

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

Thanks to my fish allergy, no fish for me!!! MMmmmmm hotdogs and mushrooms.

IMG_0213.jpg

Another small pike from the back lake

IMG_0208.jpg

A view to our final portage of the trip.. This lake was long and deep, absolutely awesome.

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

The smallies were on fire, here is a nice example.

IMG_0224.jpg

Another nice pike for the oldman, this one bit me off only a few mins before. We were actually going to pick up the lure and saw the pike eyeing it from below. A short cast and my dad nails it.

IMG_0227.jpg

Thanks to a crappy shear pin, we get to tow Bunk and Mike home on Sat :)

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

Now the funny part.... This video consists of two separate days. The first day we tried to hit a spot off of Mike's lake, this consisted of making our way over a beaver dam. Well it looks like the beavers worked a bit of OT in the spring and Mike had an uphill battle, lol.

Second part of the video speaks for itself, a little handling mishap of a smallie lead to some curse words. If you have young kids around, you might wanna mute the volume. It's nothing to bad, but young ears don't need to hear my curse words.

Edited by BillM

Just a quick check-in here... back to house hunting tomorrow. My sunday fish on St. Anthony and monday on Williston went OK... caught some smaller pike and had a big big blowup and miss on a black buzzbait. Definitely put some miles on.

Enjoyed Larder area quite a bit. Beautiful up there, busy too. But that's what makes Solopaddler adventures so special, as, you're always willing to step away from the crowds at a moments notice. Getting into the back lake was well worth the adventure and maybe even the few knocks on the Hondas. You and Bill sure are both hard on your hands when you fish too. lol.

Thanks for the invite again Mike. Was a pleasure meeting you, Bill and Frank. Hope to do it again sometime.

Thanks for the invite again Mike. Was a pleasure meeting you, Bill and Frank. Hope to do it again sometime.

You're very welcome and the feeling is mutual. Good luck with the house hunt bud.

A great trip (and report). Can't wait for the end of July guys...hopefully by the end of that trip we'll be sick of Walleye!!!

Can't wait either bud!

Dave, I've got the jigging down for the eyes. I consider myself a walleye machine now.

:D

Dude you slay me. :lol: