End of the dock PB's...?

StoneFly

took off for a long weekend up to the cottage with the lady. Great time all around, even the bugs werent too bad. I dont consider myself to be a Bass Fisherman by any means, but we had a great time nailing 100's of huge huge rock bass and smallies on everything from flies to spinners to rubber worms to 1" rubber crawfish all from the end of the dock. Weather was great for the most part, except saturday rained all day. lost a few 2-3lb smallies and the highlite as for fishing goes was my PB for Bass (20", guessing 4-5lbs) still cant tell if it is an SMB or LMB, that how much I fish for bass,...Lol

Lisa with one of the hundreds of little ones..

June-21-09071.jpg

June-21-09077.jpg

Then the big one on a 1" rubber crawdad

June-21-09080.jpg

June-21-09079.jpg

June-21-09081.jpg

June-21-09082.jpg

SMB or LMB????

Wow! And your dock in located where, exactly?

Small lake, north of Huntsville. I have actually seen that big Bass swimming around before, I guess Saturday was our lucky day. Was a little nervous once I saw it jhooked as I knew I only had 4lb flouro for line and about a $50 ultralite rig including rod and reel, Lol. Pretty nice fight on her.

Anyone guess the weight? Age?

good stuff! I'd guess thats a 5 to 5.5 pound smallie. We catch them in our lake like that too (20-21 inches and fat) but I've never weighed one before. The best fishing at our lake is also at the end of our dock...doesn't hurt that I've tossed 50 good-sized rocks down there to improve the odds! Nice fish

Bah, you can't count OOS fish as personal bests :) Just hope it's still there in a week, lol[/quote

Welllllll,...We were fishing for Sunfish and Pike,....;) I guess I will go have to catch him next Saturday to make it legit,...Lol, ..Besides where is she gonna go? ,..her home is my dock...Lol

Edited by StoneFly

Nice big smallies, how deep is around your dock? Looks like you were pulling them right out of their nests.

Huntsville area is Zone 15 , bass season opens 4th Saturday in June, unless there is an exception I don't know about.

Edited by stonefish

Nice big smallies, how deep is around your dock? Looks like you were pulling them right out of their nests.

Huntsville area is Zone 15 , bass season opens 4th Saturday in June, unless there is an exception I don't know about.

We were flyfishing and using little float rigs to catch mainly big RockBass all with artificials, hoping for a pike, the SMB's were a kindof a surprise. All were returned regardless. ;)

We were flyfishing and using little float rigs to catch mainly big RockBass all with artificials, hoping for a pike, the SMB's were a kindof a surprise. All were returned regardless. ;)

One bass is a surprise........maybe two, NOT that many, when you start getting that many OOS bass in an area you have to stop fishing that area for obvious reasons,

you just edited your post where you stated/thought June 15th was bass opener, I saw that!

Besides even if you knew they were OOS, taking pictures on the dock and calling them your PB :whistling:

Well its about 12' at the end,...but the fish was hooked about 2' from the surface and about 20' from the end of the dock. Wasnt really too sure about Reg's as it had nothing to do with steelheading, lol and since we let them go,...what is the harm? As for what was I targeting, really wasnt targeting anything, but I knew there were rockbass and the GF wanted to fish, hoping for a pike the first day but the Sunfish were fun. The lunker was a gift and we gave her back. <_<

One bass is a surprise........maybe two, NOT that many, when you start getting that many OOS bass in an area you have to stop fishing that area for obvious reasons,

you just edited your post where you stated/thought June 15th was bass opener, I saw that!

Besides even if you knew they were OOS, taking pictures on the dock and calling them your PB :whistling:

Do RockBass = SMB or LMB or Sunfish? The big one with pics is the same fish!!

Did you have one eye closed to read it? Lol,...This lake was rated to be one of the most polluted in Ontario not too many years ago, do to irreconcilable reasons, so to get a large SMB like that was a total shock. this is not a fishing lake,...as in noone fishes it. To me, it was nice to see the natural species doing well. BTW if I was targetting big bass I may have gone about it differently, but since I dont own a boat or have the gear, I used cheap crap for sunfish once i realized Pike were not around. ;) just chill and go polish your $40,000 boat and dream of next weekend. Maybe I will go back next saturday with my crappy-tire rod and reel and out fish you..Lol ;)

Well its about 12' at the end,...but the fish was hooked about 2' from the surface and about 20' from the end of the dock. Wasnt really too sure about Reg's as it had nothing to do with steelheading, lol and since we let them go,...what is the harm? As for what was I targeting, really wasnt targeting anything, but I knew there were rockbass and the GF wanted to fish, hoping for a pike the first day but the Sunfish were fun. The lunker was a gift and we gave her back. <_<

Hey sorry you are kinda getting jumped on here, it's just that we all like you really love fishin. It was a great report and i really enjoyed it, but I just want to address the "what is the harm" so that you will know and hopefully educate other people. The reason that even catching fish oos is bad is that even though you return the fish to the water, by the time it finds its nest again, smaller fish such as Perch or Sunfish may have raided the nest and eaten all of the eggs. So in a very real way you are impacting the population of that species.

Again, just offering this as some information that you may choose to do with what you wish.

I don't see a single rockbass in any of the pictures :rolleyes:

if the big one is the same fish then I wonder if it survived that long out of the water.

How many pics of Rockbass do you take? LMAO. Out of the water about 30 Seconds, revived her like a nice steelhead, WAY better than most Bass guys ever do. BTW,..used a #12 barbless steelhead hook, again not knowing about the Big bass. Hmmmm,...what size hooks do you use? Im bettin that fish survived better than most you catch with your trebles etc. How many have you killed with that style? did you stop fishing when they bled? im pretty sure you let fish that bleed go and have broken the rules many times ...KNOWINGLY!!!! ;)

Did you have one eye closed to read it? Lol,...This lake was rated to be one of the most polluted in Ontario not too many years ago, do to irreconcilable reasons, so to get a large SMB like that was a total shock. this is not a fishing lake,...as in noone fishes it. To me, it was nice to see the natural species doing well. BTW if I was targetting big bass I may have gone about it differently, but since I dont own a boat or have the gear, I used cheap crap for sunfish once i realized Pike were not around. ;) just chill and go polish your $40,000 boat and dream of next weekend. Maybe I will go back next saturday with my crappy-tire rod and reel and out fish you..Lol ;)

Natural species won't be doing well if people keep pulling them out OOS, with crappy-tire rod and reel or whatever, as other poster mentioned by the time they get back to their nests their eggs are eaten by pan fish.

sorry you are offended, just calling it the way it is,

BTW, I don't have a $40,000 boat, just a couple of rods and reels and a regulation book.

good luck next Saturday, you have the right attitude :rolleyes:

Hey sorry you are kinda getting jumped on here, it's just that we all like you really love fishin. It was a great report and i really enjoyed it, but I just want to address the "what is the harm" so that you will know and hopefully educate other people. The reason that even catching fish oos is bad is that even though you return the fish to the water, by the time it finds its nest again, smaller fish such as Perch or Sunfish may have raided the nest and eaten all of the eggs. So in a very real way you are impacting the population of that species.

Again, just offering this as some information that you may choose to do with what you wish.

Appreciated for sure. However, Reg's aside, dont even get me started on Reg's. The fish was 20' from any nest and was only 2' down in atleast 12' of water, so it was crusin, the nest was abandonded anyways. Again, not a Bass guy here, but an Avid Steelheader, so If anyone can appreciate what you are saying, I can.....No offence to anyone,..but its usually the Bass guys that break the salmon/steelhead Reg's,...Lol the difference is that they KNOW it. So since I did not know there were OOS fish to be caught, and one was, should I have ripped the lip right off? Since I didnt even know if it was LMB or SMB and it was the biggest I ever caught, should I have not taken a pic? would this have helped the fishery?