Help moi pick up a reel (walleye rod)

Hey guys I just picked up a 6' 9" St.Croix Mojo Bass Medium Light Extra Fast for jigging/rigging Wally's. I'm looking for a nice smooth and light reel to compliment the rod. I was looking hard at the Daiwa Tierra and Shimano Symetre. Any other suggestions out there? Lets keep the price under 150 please :D .

come on archie we all know your gonna spend more then $150, you mind as well just go all out haha! my vote is for the shimano

DONT ENCOURAGE ME GAVIN!!!! Orest almost had me talked into a Legend Elite for 220$ regular 299!!! :lol:

I've got four daiwa reels to 10 years old, never a problem, never serviced. Still strong and smooth.

Its a tough choice, I'll probaby have to bring my rod in and rig it up and see which one balances better, has more features, is smoother, ect.

um...certainly hard to choose... one question, for jigging/rigging, what ratio is better? Does it matter that much as choosing reel for cankbait fishing?

Shimano Symetre: SY-2500, 8/140, 6.2:1, 10.1oz

Team Daiwa Tierra: TDTR2500, 8/170, 4.7:1, 9.6oz

Edited by CrappieCamo

High end Quantums are very nice, a bit on the heavy side but slicker than owl turd.

How about a Shimano Saros, it feels a bit smoother than the more expensive Stradic??

Bring your rod with you and try out a bunch of reels and buy the one that you like the most.

I like both Shimanos and Diawas. But for $99.00 I would really consider BPS brand of spinning reel. I just bought another Stratic 3 weeks ago and if this wasn't going to be "the one" I would have probably tried the BPs brand for sure.

Good luck!

I'd go for a Daiwa Exceler for like $75. And you probably need only the 2000 size for jigging or drop-shotting with 8-lb line. Exceler 2000 is only about 8.5 oz -- superlight for a reel at this price. I personally think the Tierra is an overkill unless you really need the sealed drag. The Symetre is very smooth with slow oscillation, but the new FJ's MSRP is a bit overpriced IMO. I would check out the new Sahara which also has slow oscillation. I like to go small on finesse fishing reel, so I'd go for the 1500 size (for Shimano), although the 2500 size probably won't weigh much more anyway.

There are a lot of great deals on Ebay for reels. I just got myself a Daiwa Advantage TDA1500 for $108 (CAD) shipped. That's the one above TD Tierra which sells for $138.

I think Le Baron had the Symetre on sale the past weekend but it might be over now.

I went with the Saros but bought the Tierra first and returned it. The pin in the retrieve handle would slide out with use and it almost fell out when I first noticed it. After clamping it back in, it still continued to work itself out, so I returned it. Research online revealed it was a issue for other owners and a quick look at the other Tierras and Excelers at BPS also had protruding reel pins.

So keep an eye on yours as you use it (if you get it). Look at both the Exceler and Tierras at BPS when you go to see what I'm talking about. It was a good thing I noticed it early as I was out on the boat when I nearly lost it.

Edited by Jet

both are great reels. i've opened both up and inspected, cleaned and lubed the guts of both reels. They are very similar, both with quality components.

i have a tierra. what i like is the low gear ratio. i tend to work my baits too quickly and the slow ratio is good for us impatient types, as well, lower gear ratio are better for getting crank baits to their depth and staying there longer.

i have a saros from shimano. that is one smooth puppy. i think i got it cheaper w/ the reel trade in at BPS, but that's worth the $

I'd go for a Daiwa Exceler for like $75. And you probably need only the 2000 size for jigging or drop-shotting with 8-lb line. Exceler 2000 is only about 8.5 oz -- superlight for a reel at this price. I personally think the Tierra is an overkill unless you really need the sealed drag. The Symetre is very smooth with slow oscillation, but the new FJ's MSRP is a bit overpriced IMO. I would check out the new Sahara which also has slow oscillation. I like to go small on finesse fishing reel, so I'd go for the 1500 size (for Shimano), although the 2500 size probably won't weigh much more anyway.

There are a lot of great deals on Ebay for reels. I just got myself a Daiwa Advantage TDA1500 for $108 (CAD) shipped. That's the one above TD Tierra which sells for $138.

I think Le Baron had the Symetre on sale the past weekend but it might be over now.

You make a good point about the 1500 and 2000 series reels. But since I dont have my new boat yet (16). This is also my rod for pulling spinners (nothing heavy for weights, just #5 split shots usually). So a 2500 would be nice. And yes, for a 5 bearing reel the Symetre is a bit pricey...