Why use a baitcaster?

Jonny

There is no one reel type that can do it all. Baitcasters are definitely required to cover some forms of angling and I don't mean just trolling. Limiting yourself to only spinning reels will definitely cause times of aggravation and frustration and likely lost fish. But hey thats just open minded thinking. ;)

I was a die-hard spinning fan until I tried a baitcaster last season. Now I own two, but never go out without a spinning outfit to balance it. I am real good with a spinning reel, but cannot come close to the consistent accuracy that I get with a baitcaster. This only applies when casting to cover. In open-water situations, I will take the spinning reel any time. If you always cast to open water, and distance is an issue, then spinning reels are going to do it for you. If you want pinpoint accuracy to cover, then a baitcaster is a better tool.

Drag? Using the drag on a spinning reel is for folks that don't know how to backreel ;)

on my spinning outfits i reel with my left hand and hold with my right, same as my casting reels (left handed version)

OK, but what do most baitcasters do? The standard models come with right-hand crank, don't they, even though most people are right-handed? Some baitcasting reel don't come in left-hand models, and you pay extra on a lot of reels to get left-hand crank. So unless I'm mistaken, most right-handers will cast with the right hand and then switch the rod to the left hand for retrieve. Doesn't make any sense.

I grew up as a spinning bigot...

That's like calling a trout fisherman who fishes with worms a bigot, when it's the fly fishermen who are the ones with "attitude". :D

Of course a levelwind is better for heavy gear. I wouldn't claim it wasn't. You're right that certain things have certain uses, but even the term "baitcaster" puts an implied limit on what we're actually talking about - using a reel to cast for fish. As far as "feel" is concerned, it's probably impossible to have better feel with a good baitcaster than a good spinning reel, or vice versa. All your reel does is take up line; if you think about it, it's the quality and weight of the rod that gives you "feel", wouldn't you say?

"Friction on retrieve is waaaay higher" - I'd be interested to know what you think would cause that. The friction of the line coming in through the guides should be the same. You think the line passing over a roller on the bail of a spinning reel makes for "way" more friction?

It must be awesome to make perfect casts, 100% of the time :)

I've been casting all my life. Yeah, I can put it where I want it almost all the time. Can't you?

Pitching is a technique integral to largemouth bass fishing. A soft, subtle entry of the bait in to the water is a key element of the technique. You can do it with a spinning rod, but it is very difficult to master the splashless entry compared to a baitcaster.

Now that's something that makes sense.

As far as switching hands when casting (but not pitching), this is an often over exaggerated thing.

I mentioned it primarily because there were a couple of comments about the bail on a spinning reel being a nuisance. Anyone who fishes a lot with a baitcaster is sure to be proficient despite the switch, or the necessity for a two-handed cast. Anyone who fishes a lot with a spinning reel is sure to find that opening the bail is second nature.

I wouldn't argue that a spinning reel is better than a baitcaster but I'm skeptical that a baitcaster is better than a spinning reel. I think a good portion of it is just mystique. But yes, of course there are situations which call for a level-wind (not necessarily a baitcaster), and there may be a few particular ways in particular situations where a baitcaster might be preferred (i.e. "pitching"), just like a spinning reel might be for others.

I've never intentionally targeted largemouth. We have very few in Northeastern Ontario. But I can cast into a small open spot in lily pads, or hit just at the edge of the branches of a fallen tree or a beaver house.

I love using my Ambassador to troll (14 lb test) but not because I think it's better, just because it's different. And for heavier trolling I like using my Penn 209. For the rest I think my spinning reels are fine, and it would be very hard to out-do them, having more to do with the proficiency of the person using the equipment rather than the equipment itself.

The stuff about less tumbling of the bait, and splashless entry (if you think that in a particular situation you'd rahter go with not spooking fish than with getting their attention), makes sense, but precisely because there is more drag to casting than to spinning. The baitcasting reel has an initial inertia to overcome, and the speed of the spool determines how fast the line will go out. But that, if you think about it, makes a baitcasting reel less likely to give you as long a cast as a spinning reel, contrary to some of what I'm reading here.

It is like the mono vs braid debate. There is a time and a place for everything. You wouldn't use a baitcaster when you are fishing for walleye with a 1/8 oz jig, conversely you wouldn't flip for largies in the mats on spinning gear with 30lb line.

There is however one advantage baitcasters have over spinning that no one have mention, line twists.

When drag is pulled on a baitcaster, line come straight off the spool. With a spinning reel, line twist is inherent in the design everytime you retrieve line and when line is pulled off against the drag.

You spinning guys have it 100% right...

I will buy all your nasty old casting reels for five dollars each, so you can buy some new line to replace the twisted stuff you used last week.

U R a tricksy one.

JF

Asking this question means you have not used a casting rod/reel for its intended purpose very much. When it comes to casting lures such as spinnerbaits and crankbaits(Bass or Muskie sized) you can not beat a Baitcast rod/reel. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with sticking to a Spinning outfit if thats what works for you.

My 2 cents....

Both rods have their place, but as a general rule of thumb, spinners are better for lighter applications and baitcasters for heavier as a general rule of thumb. I wouldn't spool anything over 12lb test on a spinning reel personally. Baitcasters have far better control, you can't argue that factor. I have my thumb on the spool the whole time, I can slow it down whenever I want.

Also, I believe that baitcaster cast heavier baits further too. When you cast a spinning reel, the line comes of in circles the size of the spool, which creates a lot of friction in that first guide. That's why the first guide on spinning rods are much larger than baitcasters. And if a baitcaster has a non-disengaging levelwind, there is less friction going through the guids than a spincaster, thus giving you more distance. This is all assuming that you have all your brakes backed right off which most of us do anyways after we learn to thumb the spool.

A disadvantage of the baitcaster is casting in wind. This is where the spincast takes over, they just simply cast better into the wind.

flippin and pitchin'-baitcaster for accuracy, quiet entry and power to turn heads in weeds.

Finesse fishing - spincast

Musky fishing - All baitcasting in my opinion. They last thing I wanna do is hold a 16 oz bait by my finger all day!

To sum it all up, trying to decide which one is better is like trying to decide whether a 5 iron or a 9 iron is better is golf. They each have thier own situations where one shines over the other.

For me it's a matter of ergonomics. Try casting a 4-5 inch swimbait or a large jerkbait for a long time on a spinning reel and it will take a toll on the wrists. Same thing with trolling with a big bait w/ a spinner. It's nice to take a break from the spinning reel with a different profile reel like a baitcaster. Also, the other posters make a good point about the ability of a baitcaster to put some muscle and real cranking power to a large fish headed for wood or thick weeds. Give them a shot by practicing with a rubber sinker in the backyard until you get proficient. Once you get comfortable with how to control them, I bet you'll enjoy them and add them to your arsenal.

Hope this helps and good luck. Only 4 days until we leave for NE corner of Georgian Bay. Hope a 10 lb eye and a 20 lb pike are in my boys' near future....

Asking this question means you have not used a casting rod/reel for its intended purpose very much. When it comes to casting lures such as spinnerbaits and crankbaits(Bass or Muskie sized) you can not beat a Baitcast rod/reel. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with sticking to a Spinning outfit if thats what works for you.

I actually asked the question primarily to see if there was anything behind the mystique. I see that there are a couple of things, but considering most of the fishing I do, I don't see changing things too much, except giving my baitcaster a little more of a look in certain situations.

I will buy all your nasty old casting reels for five dollars each, so you can buy some new line to replace the twisted stuff you used last week.

I don't get line twist. I either use my baitcaster or Penn for trolling, and that's the only thing where line twist has ever been an issue for me, and only with certain kinds of terminal tackle.

You can see by your offer how overpriced a lot of casting reels actually are. :P

Just kidding, really. If you like 'em, buy 'em.

One of the slickest casters I ever had was a spincast. Now there's a whole other story! :D

Power to throw heavier tackle and pull fish out of cover. That's why I use 'em. Accuracy is nice, quiet presentation as well.. though with practice both can be achieved with a spinning reel too. But once you toss that plastic bait into that little pocket in the brushpile with your spinning reel, good luck horsing him out with light line!

Heavy line applications - Baitcaster

Pitching/flipping - Baitcaster

Pulling power - Baitcaster

1/2 oz + lures - Baitcaster

Trolling - Baitcaster

Speed from time bait is out of the water until it is back in again on a cast - Baitcaster (watch KVD fish!!!)

I also belive that a good baitcaster has a smoother drag than a spinning reel.

Light line applications (10 pound and under) - spinning

finesse fishing, drop shot, shakey head, wacky 4" senko - spinning

dragging tubes - spinning

throwing into the wind - spinning

throwing light lures - spinning

:wallbash:

I'm no expert but here's my take. I'm just 25 but I've been fishing for about 24 of those years. For most of those early years I used spinning gear exclusively and was basically happy with it. But about 10yrs ago I got my first baitcaster and it really opened my eyes. I suddenly was able to fish certain techniques that I wasn't able to before. Flipping jigs, 1/2oz spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, frogs and crankbaits just were never easy to fish on normal spinning gear. Now sure if you're content with just using #7 jointed Rapalas and lures under 1/4oz all the time then stick with spinning gear. But if you want to be able to fish different techniques and not struggle with it then I'd recommend a good baitcaster to any new bass angler. Bottom line is personally I'd never go back to just using all spinning gear. But I still love my spinning reels for tubes, dropshots and other light plastics...oh and like garry said if anyone has been influenced by some of the "advice" given here and now want to sell their "overrated" baitcasters I'll gladly take them off their hands for $5.50. :whistling:

OK, a couple more points. Everyone seems to discount spinning tackle for heavy duty slop and stuff but consider this, a lot of giant bass have been caught on a 14-15' cane pole with NO reel. Just dippin' into the pockets with a line and a big arse pole. And for the spinning purists, consider the walleye pros that use handlining in lieu of a spinning reel. Are they just trying to prove a point? I think this proves that the reel is just a part of the equation and everybody has their favourite based on the technique.

Holdfast, I know you're probably just stirring the pot to agitate suckers like me, but well, I just can't resist. You're saying that professionals fishing for hundreds of thousands of dollars, sometimes up to a million dollars at an event will use inferior equipment because it was given to them? Really?!? So these professionals are not like in any other profession where they try to use the best (within reason) equipment for the job? They risk losing a million dollars to save a couple thousand dollars on reel purchases? All just to get suckers like me to buy these fancy shmancy shiny bait cast reels? Well, it worked as I own a bunch! lol

Jocko, there is a tremendous and underutilized largemouth fishery on Nipissing from what I've heard. I was really looking forward to going up there but the tournament series folded and it's far enough of a drive to dissuade me from trying a day trip. The last major tournament up there was won on largemouth and not from a lack of smallmouth experts as all the top guns were there. I think the simple fact is that they are overlooked. Even the last time I was on Nipissing maybe 10 years ago, there was a decent population of largies in South Bay in the pads and reeds. If Lakair was a weekend later I'd even try to come up and prove it as when given the choice, I'll always target largies first.

OK, a couple more points. Everyone seems to discount spinning tackle for heavy duty slop and stuff but consider this, a lot of giant bass have been caught on a 14-15' cane pole with NO reel. Just dippin' into the pockets with a line and a big arse pole. And for the spinning purists, consider the walleye pros that use handlining in lieu of a spinning reel. Are they just trying to prove a point? I think this proves that the reel is just a part of the equation and everybody has their favourite based on the technique.

Holdfast, I know you're probably just stirring the pot to agitate suckers like me, but well, I just can't resist. You're saying that professionals fishing for hundreds of thousands of dollars, sometimes up to a million dollars at an event will use inferior equipment because it was given to them? Really?!? So these professionals are not like in any other profession where they try to use the best (within reason) equipment for the job? They risk losing a million dollars to save a couple thousand dollars on reel purchases? All just to get suckers like me to buy these fancy shmancy shiny bait cast reels? Well, it worked as I own a bunch! lol

Jocko, there is a tremendous and underutilized largemouth fishery on Nipissing from what I've heard. I was really looking forward to going up there but the tournament series folded and it's far enough of a drive to dissuade me from trying a day trip. The last major tournament up there was won on largemouth and not from a lack of smallmouth experts as all the top guns were there. I think the simple fact is that they are overlooked. Even the last time I was on Nipissing maybe 10 years ago, there was a decent population of largies in South Bay in the pads and reeds. If Lakair was a weekend later I'd even try to come up and prove it as when given the choice, I'll always target largies first.

Yup and I will stand up to what I say. Thats why they look like walking Bill Boards when they go fishing. And they will use inferior Expensive equipment if it gives them money. Of course to lure you Charles, the Consumer to buy the product. Just because Bob uses Yummy doesnt mean it really out catches fish that swim.

Edited by holdfast

Heavy line applications - Baitcaster

Pitching/flipping - Baitcaster

Pulling power - Baitcaster

1/2 oz + lures - Baitcaster

Trolling - Baitcaster

Speed from time bait is out of the water until it is back in again on a cast - Baitcaster (watch KVD fish!!!)

I also belive that a good baitcaster has a smoother drag than a spinning reel.

Light line applications (10 pound and under) - spinning

finesse fishing, drop shot, shakey head, wacky 4" senko - spinning

dragging tubes - spinning

throwing into the wind - spinning

throwing light lures - spinning

Don't forget

All Round and Versatile- Spinning

In a Canoe- Spinning

Back Packing- Spinning

First fishing Reel to start- Spin Cast or Spinning

If only one reel to Bring -Spinning with extra line size spools

Bait casting- overrated and over Priced for us non- Professional/Purist types that do all around fishing and out door activities..

If you don't have line twist problems, you need to get out more!

The design of spinning and spincasting reels puts twist into the line. If your doubt my word, buy a paper streamer at the dollar store and pull the ribbon off the end of the spool the way the line comes off of all spinning reels.

Spincaster's work by pinching the line between the spool and the close-face housing when you push the button, this is not a light weight line friendly design...On the cast the line flows off the spool, up over the spool lip and then must immediately funnel down to go through the small opening in the housing...That's at approaches four 45 degree turns in about one inch...The word is friction and it steals distance from your cast.

Dear spinning friends and line twist devotees:

I have no intention of getting into a bidding war with Bassaholic, but I will match his offer of $5.50 a piece for all of your birds nest building, curse causing, hackle raising, hair tearing, ire invoking, mentally challenging, nerve fraying, out-dated, over-rated, poorly produced, questionable-quality, rage-raising, stomach knotting, spool-jamming, temper twisting, ulcer causing, vomit launching, wrist wrecking, wretched and exasperating baitcasting reels.

Thank You

2R's

Cudz you mention "pulling power"...

I can't see this being "advantage baitcaster". If I want pulling power with a spinning reel, I can use a slightly heavier line (i.e. 14 lb test) and a slightly heavier, shorter rod. Then set the drag at the heavy end and I can pull to turn a fish or get it out of cover as well as a baitcaster could. Both are limited by how much strain you can put on the line. What test of line are you talking about for pulling power on a baitcaster? You can horse a fish, yes, but the heavier you go in test, the more you sacrifice in casting performance with either type of reel. I can (and have) put 20 lb in a spinning reel, and I can pull the boat with it when I get snagged! But I lose distance.

And speed (bait in to bait out)...

I think you probably have a point there, if a few seconds per cast is important, but I just don't see myself emulating the tourney fishermen to whom whipping the water is a necessity. I tend to fish with less frenzy because I'm out for recreation, not to win a prize. :D

I've been thinking more about the idea that baitcasters can throw more accurately. I wonder if it boils down to baitcasters tending to go with heavier baits. You can throw a heavier bait more accurately than a light bait... but that holds true for a spinning reel as well.

Those one-pound baits that some guys are talking about? I'd never cast for any length of time with one of those. Them's trollin' baits, son, on a levelwind and a stiff rod. :D

Jocko, there is a tremendous and underutilized largemouth fishery on Nipissing from what I've heard... I think the simple fact is that they are overlooked.

You could very well be right, Charles. I used to catch some largemouth in weedy areas like Marsh Bay (near the mouth of the French), but I don't get there any more. The north side of the lake has less of that sheltered water, but I'm sure there must be a few largemouth here. I moved here just a few years ago and I've avoided spots like that because they're just so chock full of rocky shoals. But I've got a few ideas about places to try along the shore if I can winkle myself in there with my 2 HP kicker.

If you don't have line twist problems, you need to get out more!

I get out plenty, thanks.

I don't need to do a "test". My test is what works, and I can fish with the same line all summer - some still fishing, some drifting, a lot of casting - and I don't have to worry about twist. If the line has a little twist in it, it's so minor as to be unnoticeable. The place where twist is a nuisance is with trolling baits that will twist the line (i.e. lures and spoons, but not with Rapalas and the like), but I use level-wind for that. I don't think you've fished consistently with a spinning reel if you think that casting causes a problem with line twist.

When I was a teenager I fished with probably an intensity I've never matched, shore-fishing stretches of the Vermillion River for pike and bass, usually with cheap Canadian Tire imitations of Daredevils because I could afford to lose a few. Those suckers will twist up the line on a spinning reel so badly if you use them for trolling that I bet nothing can match them. But I would cast all day with them, day after day, hundreds of casts a day, and I didn't have a problem.

If I had had line twist it would have robbed me of casting distance (REALLY important if you're shore-fishing). So no, I don't buy the line twist argument one bit, except for trolling with certain types of bait.

Spincaster's work by pinching the line between the spool and the close-face housing when you push the button, this is not a light weight line friendly design...On the cast the line flows off the spool, up over the spool lip and then must immediately funnel down to go through the small opening in the housing...That's at approaches four 45 degree turns in about one inch...The word is friction and it steals distance from your cast.

Yes, I'm aware of that. But go figure, I've used a couple of spincasters that can cast like hell. They shouldn't, but they do. Smooth and LONG. I have no idea why.

...birds nest building, curse causing, hackle raising, hair tearing, ire invoking, mentally challenging, nerve fraying, out-dated, over-rated, poorly produced, questionable-quality, rage-raising, stomach knotting, spool-jamming, temper twisting, ulcer causing, vomit launching, wrist wrecking, wretched and exasperating baitcasting reels.

The baitcaster manufacturers can see you coming. It's the mystique thing. Premium price for "premium" gear. :D

But no, it's also likely that it's more expensive to produce a good baitcaster than it is to produce a good spinning reel, because of the disadvantage in physics that has to be overcome. The line flows freely off a spinning reel, without the spool moving, so it's only the diameter of the spool and the design of the lip of the spool, and how full it is of line, that determine how the line slips off the reel. In a baitcaster, the spool has to rotate at a precise speed because if it goes too slow it will drag on the bait and cut your distance, and if it goes too fast you'll end up with a nice backlash. The spinning reel is just a simpler, more efficient design. :P

Edited by Jocko Point Jonny