Bearing buddies

Lunker777

Hey everyone

Progress is coming along on the trailer... I went over to my grandpas last night and looked at the wheels and I thought he had bought new bearing buddies or the trailer. But he just cleaned the old ones since they were so covered in crap they look brand new now. But I think I might have a rear seal blown ... I heard it was pretty easy to do if you over loaded them, which I suspect the guy who owned it before did !

Ill show a few pics of the progress and of what I am talking about !

CIMG0444.jpg

CIMG0445.jpg

This is what the inside of the old rims looked like.... there is about an inch of old grease and crap built up in there.... there was actually a stone lodged in it all ! haha

CIMG0449.jpg

The old bunks.... Im going to re-install longer ones so the boat isn't resting on the rollers

CIMG0450.jpg

Here are the inside of the hubs... Does it look like blown seals to you ?

CIMG0453.jpg

CIMG0454.jpg

Thanks for the help everyone

Yes,

They have been over greased. It is as you said, very easy to do when you are pumping grease blindly into a bearing. Bearings should be re-packed by hand or if they are greased in place, it must b e done very carefully.

I believe the idea of Bearing Buddies was to prevent a void from developing in the bearing housing that would allow water to enter. A uniform constant pressure developed by their spring would keep the bearing housing full. Unfortunately, we tend to over pressurize the Bearing Buddies and cause the rear seals to blow.

Just replace the bearings and keep a spare set on hand.

Got rid of my bearing buddies for that reason. Now i repack them annually. One thing to note- you can certainly reuse the existing bearings if in good shape, but you will need a new rear seal- it must be destroyed in order to remove the rear bearing for cleaning and re-packing.

Do yourself a favor and try a good auto parts supplier( Ideal,Garage Supply,or Parry's) and get the double lipped seals.Most of the trailer bearing sets don't give you the greatest seals.May have less problem with the grease blowing the seals out.

Normally when I grease mine I watch for the inner cup to just start to push out,then stop pumping the grease.

Kerry

My Dad's boat-trailer is six years and counting on the same set of Bearing Buddies...rear seals are fine, whisper quiet when you spin the wheels... seem fine so we haven't changed them. Lot's of mileage on them too.

Anyone else using them long-term or has everyone tried them and given up?

My Dad's boat-trailer is six years and counting on the same set of Bearing Buddies...rear seals are fine, whisper quiet when you spin the wheels... seem fine so we haven't changed them. Lot's of mileage on them too.

Anyone else using them long-term or has everyone tried them and given up?

Are you kidding? Bearing Buddies ROCK! Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water here (I use that saying alot).

Jim

thanks for the input everyone

I figured they were blown I just didn't know 100% so I cam to the best source to find out !

Now I guess the question is how do you replace the seals ?

Im not planning on throwing the B/B away.... just the prior owner didn't know how to use them properly so this time around I wont over pack them once the new selas are in !

I have never used bearing buddies because they are not reliable....... instead I set up my boat on my trailer so I never put the hubs in the water while launching or retrieving my boat. In 24 years I have changed my bearing only twice (2 years ago was the last time). Word of caution....when you get a new trailer check the bearing at once....I found out mine didn't have hardly any grease in them and HAD to replace them on year 2. Keep the WATER out and they will last a VERY LONG time.....

BTW I trailer my boat a LOT and never had any problems, even going 20 years with the same bearings that were never repacked until I CHANGED them 2 years ago. They could of went even longer but I thought I got my monies worth out of them so rather than clean them I just replaced them with new bearings and races.

Bob

Two mane problems with grease and axles.

the wrong type of grease and/or too much.

Only use axle grease or high temp synthetic.

Axle and high temp is a denser. so there is less expansion of the grease.

There is also air in the hub that expanse from heat.

When using bearing buddies, stop greasing when the plate starts to move against the spring.

The rest of the area is for expansion.

If you don't know what to look for in a used bearing. REPLACE IT!!!!

Do yourself a favor and try a good auto parts supplier( Ideal,Garage Supply,or Parry's) and get the double lipped seals.Most of the trailer bearing sets don't give you the greatest seals.May have less problem with the grease blowing the seals out.

Normally when I grease mine I watch for the inner cup to just start to push out,then stop pumping the grease.

Kerry

I totally agree you should do the 4 hr drive to Orillia for bearings lol. But yea Napa, Car quest, or even better a RV dealer/repair center will help you out