How stable are these "smaller" boats with casting decks?

MSBruno

I've been seeing quite a few posts and researching people modding thier jon boats or aluminum boats (14ft - 16ft) with casting decks and full flat floors. Even that dream walleye boats with high pedestal seats.

Is this safe? Is a flat bottom better than a v-bottom?

Ideas or dicsussion?

Yup...on small water, the flat boats are ridiculously stable...but no good in any kind of chop. I usually stand on the front seat of my little 12 footer (v-shaped hull) and even it's heavy enough to be stable while I'm doing that. Hunting down some new plywood this summer to redo the transom and a couple seats, so I think while I'm at it, I'll fab up a little platform for the front :)

Sounds like you are talking about two things here, one is whether the boat has a flat bottom (like a jonboat) or v-hull, and the other is about casting decks.

I've been on both flat and v-hull boats, and I'd definitely rather be on the deep V in big water.

For the casting decks/floors, I wouldn't want to be standing in big waves, but they are a lot more comfortable to fish from and I prefer them.

Mike

Hey MSB,

honestly i was thinkin the same thing .. i have a 14' aluminum V, and wasnt sure how stable it would be.. but figgured i'd give it a shot..

first of all i would suggest that you do a "tip test" stand on ur original seats (aprox where ur deck will be..) and see how stable it is.. if you find it good enough then go for it ! personally i skipped that step and just went for it as i normaly stand on the seats anyways.. my boat now has a 7' casting deck , pedestal seat , in floor storage.. and a bow mount trolling motor.. couldnt be happier.. tho it does sit lower in the water now. so if your out in big water wave can get at you easier now..

other then that i love it.. and its quite stable !

as for john boats , and flat bottoms (depending on size) I would mainly use them for rivers, small lakes, and traveling, other then that i find they can be a little hairy.. but at the same time if you use them right they can be awesome..

it all depends on what your looking to get out of a boat kinda thing .. and where you will be fishing ..

-little lakes, rivers, bogs etc.. john / flat bottom (or a SMALL V)

-small to big lakes, deeper rivers. and anywhere with wind and waves i'd stick to a V

thats just my view tho .. im sure theres many other preferences.. aswell as glass.. or aluminum .. etc.

-A fellow angler

Edited by fish-miester

Yup...on small water, the flat boats are ridiculously stable...but no good in any kind of chop. I usually stand on the front seat of my little 12 footer (v-shaped hull) and even it's heavy enough to be stable while I'm doing that. Hunting down some new plywood this summer to redo the transom and a couple seats, so I think while I'm at it, I'll fab up a little platform for the front :)

WOW !!! :dunno:

In this day and age of Safety on the water, I cant believe that you would stand on thr front seat of a 12' Tinny to fish.

No wonder the Police are busy looking for bodies.

This is not meant to be a 'flame', just amazment on my part. :o

In this day and age of Safety on the water, I cant believe that you would stand on thr front seat of a 12' Tinny to fish.

I have a 14' aluminum with a casting deck up front. Really stable the only tricky part sometimes is moving around the front pedestal seat to the front. I usually just sit on it and spin around facing forward. My boat is 54'' wide at the back.

This is what I'm talkng about. Should anyone be casting (with the big casting motions) on the front end of a 14-16' aluminum?

This is what I'm talkng about. Should anyone be casting (with the big casting motions) on the front end of a 14-16' aluminum?

I do it with no problems on my boat at the cottage but then again I am a small guy.

My 14'

HFBike014.jpg

DSC02673.jpg

I will be painting and putting in a new deck(wider, longer and higher) next week with marine carpet along with compartments for gear and might even add a rod strap to the deck.

Would love to see some other ideas though...The boat is perfect for lakes around home too although with the Stratos getting it's first run on the Ottawa on the weekend, I don't htink there will be any need for it at home :mellow:

Anyone have pics of there tinnies with mods done to 'em?

Edited by tip-up

Dave might chime in and comment on how he enjoyed the 3 footers in Simcoe 2 weeks ago :) He even de-virginized my pedestal seat!!!

The boat was tossed pretty good, especially with the anchor out. I've never felt unstable in this boat, even in the worst weather. 15" Legend Widebody.

SaubleMar72009008.jpg

Edited by BillM

Any changes to weight or seating positions will affect the center of gravity, most for the worse.

Casting platforms don't make as much difference to the boat as your not fastened to it so when the boat heels over it can simply dump the weight (you) over the side before the weight (you again) pulls the boat over.

Higher seating on the other hand moves the center of gravity way higher so when the boat heels over and the weight (you again) is holding on, the higher center of gravity moves outward faster and farther and if it gets farther out from centerline than the center of buoyancy your in the water.

Flat bottom boats are more stable than v boats but that stability will toss you around in big waves because it it is always trying to right itself.

Because modifications affect the boat stability your capacity plates no longer apply to that boat and you are supposed to do modifications in compliance to building standards and send for a single vessel compliance plate. Now the last I heard of anyone applying for a single vessel compliance plate was sent a letter saying they don't do them anymore and to use the letter stating its not available. I don't know if you guys are required to send away for a the letter or not.

Clearly you have never been on one so maybe you shouldn't be quite so quick to judge. My 14.5' aluminium is very stable right to the tip of the bow. Nothing dangerous about it unless you are in water that is too big for the boat.

I'm guessing using the closed bow of a 14 foot fibreglass (in my case) might be a bit tippy as your standing basically as high as possible. I was thinking of slapping some grip tape up there, maybe removing half the windshield or something.

Clearly you have never been on one so maybe you shouldn't be quite so quick to judge. My 14.5' aluminium is very stable right to the tip of the bow. Nothing dangerous about it unless you are in water that is too big for the boat.

:whistling:

My comment was directed to standing on the front seat of a TWELVE FOOT tinney. 14' or 16' foot are a different ball game.

By the way, I've had 12, 14, 16 ft tinnies, so maybe you are not CLEARLY on the right track.

BUT to each his own I guess !! :blahblah1:

My 14' is very stable , and never feel unsafe in it although common sense is Key ! stay off big water in high wind !!

i have a pedestal seat up front and a 55lb bow mount and it hasnt thrown me in yet , Its a 14' Discovery wide and deep V hull , with flat carpeted aluminum floor and when i have another person in the boat i stand on the bench at the back by the motor as a casting deck as well , I fish out of that boat all winter in minus 20 degrees in the Niagara river And i feel plenty safe

Clearly you are the reason why my generation is a bunch of babied lame asses...

:whistling:

My comment was directed to standing on the front seat of a TWELVE FOOT tinney. 14' or 16' foot are a different ball game.

By the way, I've had 12, 14, 16 ft tinnies, so maybe you are not CLEARLY on the right track.

BUT to each his own I guess !! :blahblah1:

And my comment was directed to standing on the CASTING DECK of a small tinny. Not all small boats are the same. I wouldn't hesistate to put one on my deep and wide 12' tin boat either, but I wouldn't put one on my buddies shallow 12'er.