Mijinemungshing Lake (Superior Provencial)

Went up to Mijin for 2 nights this week. Weather was terrible the whole time. Caught 2 Lakers trolling on the way in with a 4" Whitefish Wabbler and a lead with a minnow and a silver/blue Little Cleo. Setup camp and went back out and picked up a nice fat one flatlining a silver/orange Pixie and a minnow.

1zvpef4.jpg

Lunch!!!!!!!

27zg0gw.jpg

Fat guy...cooked him up the next day.

23jlfdy.jpg

Found a nice pool/water fall...full of filthy damned suckers though!!! ARG!

2mm7s06.jpg

Day two had us landlocked the whole morning and into the afternoon due to wind. We portaged into Maquon around 3 o'clock. Some Americans were in that day and the day before and said fishing was lousy and had them skunked that day and only 4 brooks the day before. They were right...we trolled the whole lake with only one missed hit to show for our efforts.

20ns6x.jpg

I are a portager!!!!

znppnp.jpg

3rd day was rain and we loaded up and rolled out around 10am. Fished most of the way back and were rewarded with two more nice Lakers (forgot to get pics). They were again caught on the 4" Williams Whitefish gold/silver hammered.

xaqmps.jpg

So...5 fish total. While we didn't break any records we did eat fish both days for lunch and didn't hear a single phone/tv/truck/outboard...so I'll call it a good trip.

If anyones got any fishing tips feel free to speak up :thumbsup_anim:. I'm far from a professional so bear with me :canadian: .

Edited by archie_james_c

Did you fish the waterfall with the "dirty" suckers?

If not, you should have. Lakers will follow suckers right in to the fast current, hanging back just a little in deeper water and feed on sucker spawn that drifts downstream.

Nice pictures and very dark lakers.

Awesome man, i love mijin....Is that the first big island on the lake in the first pic? near the entry to the north arm?

Hard fighting trout in those waters....looks like it was a blast...I wonder how big those 4 brookies were from Maquon.

Thanks for the pics.....

TDunn

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Many a moons we spent drinking draft balls at mij.

If you don't know what a draft ball is, I truly feel for you.

Did you fish the waterfall with the "dirty" suckers?

If not, you should have. Lakers will follow suckers right in to the fast current, hanging back just a little in deeper water and feed on sucker spawn that drifts downstream.

Nice pictures and very dark lakers.

Thanks for the tip I never thought of that. And yes they were very dark!

A good report. How were the bugs?

Ive always had good luck with orange hues on that lake. This time of year you can catch lakers really shallow. Fish em like specks.

Bugs were non-existent because of the weather (which is nice...I'd rather be wet than itchy hehe). I might go back up next week and try casting into shore for the buggers.

Awesome man, i love mijin....Is that the first big island on the lake in the first pic? near the entry to the north arm?

Hard fighting trout in those waters....looks like it was a blast...I wonder how big those 4 brookies were from Maquon.

Thanks for the pics.....

TDunn

The first pic is of our campsite in the North Arm. We were on the second last campsite before the Maquon portage, the Americans were right beside the portage. And yes!!! The lakers we caught were unusually feisty i thought I was just crazy!! I seen 2 of the specks the Yank was cleaning, about 1.5 pounds.

Regardless a nice 2 night fishing trip :Gonefishing: .

Thanks for the tip I never thought of that. And yes they were very dark!

Bugs were non-existent because of the weather (which is nice...I'd rather be wet than itchy hehe). I might go back up next week and try casting into shore for the buggers.

The first pic is of our campsite in the North Arm. We were on the second last campsite before the Maquon portage, the Americans were right beside the portage. And yes!!! The lakers we caught were unusually feisty i thought I was just crazy!! I seen 2 of the specks the Yank was cleaning, about 1.5 pounds.

Regardless a nice 2 night fishing trip :Gonefishing: .

HMMM I dont like the sounds of that. I guess they must have let the other two go. Im pretty sure Maquon is special regs two fish only one under 18" one over.Great Lakes both Mij and Maq

HMMM I dont like the sounds of that. I guess they must have let the other two go. Im pretty sure Maquon is special regs two fish only one under 18" one over.Great Lakes both Mij and Maq

They were nice guys that packed in what they packed out. There were three guys and what they did was none of my business :dunno: . I don't think they kept anything over the slot sizes but then again I wasn't looking...like I said none of my business.

Gotta love Lake Superior Provincial Park. If you guys ever need another guy to fill a canoe, let me know

PM me whenever you get the time, we'll try and get an overnighter or two going :thumbsup_anim: .

good job...Mijin is a great lake in the winter.

Surprised you didnt get any specks out of macquon

Some friends went into mijin for the opener and did real well...they did end up getting one laker that was just under 12lbs.

Some friends went into mijin for the opener and did real well...they did end up getting one laker that was just under 12lbs.

Some buddies got one around 10 that weekend as well. Seems like a few bigger fish have been pulled out in the last couple years.

Maq gets absolutely ransacked these days. I havent heard of much happening there for a few years. It would be interesting to see if MNR would consider changing the slize limits to prevent people keeping big fish out of there.

Edited by troutologist

Some buddies got one around 10 that weekend as well. Seems like a few bigger fish have been pulled out in the last couple years.

Maq gets absolutely ransacked these days. I havent heard of much happening there for a few years. It would be interesting to see if MNR would consider changing the slize limits to prevent people keeping big fish out of there.

Yeah like C & R only...had have it actually enforced.

The Yanks said it was a very poor year for brooks this time round...Im not a speck fisherman so I wouldn't know haha.

woooo archie!! getting up a report and with fish!!! haha just bugging! those are some nice lakers! we gotta hit up aubery soon!!

You know it!