Another battery question

Eddyk

My son has an old car sitting in the drive way and it wont turn over even with a boost. I think the battery is shot. Can I hook my boat battery {not the deep cycle} to start the car. This may be a stupid question but I dont want to destroy my boat battery. Thanks

Edited by Eddyk

yes you can hook up your boat cranking battery..no problem...

if there is a problem that is killing his battery..like a short or some type of drain or a an alternator that's putting too much voltage out it would hurt or battery over time

but short term fix ..go for it

I ended up putting my battery charger on it and it solved the problem. So, except for a couple of childish suggestions the problem seems to be solved. Thanks again for those who gave me some good advice.

Guys

I just don't understand many of your comments

why are you guys concerned about him wrecking the second battery..

the fact that it came out of a boat or even if it was made for a boat has nothing to do with whether or not it could get wrecked by putting it in a truck..it can't hurt it ..it has no affect on it...if i was a deepcycle battery it would not have as long a life span in the truck

but he said it was not deepcycle

the only way it could hurt the battery is if there is a problem with the charging system

and if that's the facts, then it would wreck a brand new battery just as quick as it would hurt you boat cranking battery

I ended up putting my battery charger on it and it solved the problem. So, except for a couple of childish suggestions the problem seems to be solved. Thanks again for those who gave me some good advice.

Eddy when the battery died on my Honda I did the same thing I charged the battery and it started .only problem it was not holding its charge very long.It will most likely fail unless it was drained by your son for other reasons like the lights being left on.Checking for loose terminals is also a good suggestion from the others also make sure the battery posts are clean.If it dies again it is time for a new battery.Mike

If I get a vehicle in for a no start condition first thing to do is check battery to make sure it is fully charged. A battery may also have enough energy(amperage) to run your headlights but not enough to turn a starter,this can also be true if there is a poor connection( positive and negative). If in fact the battery is dead there must be a determination of the cause. Lights left on(dont forget about glovebox or trunk lights). So we check for a drain in the system. If no drain is found the next step is to check alternator output. Make sure the belt is tight, these things can draw tremendous horsepower and a slipping belt will not allow alternator to charge. If everything checks out ok it is a battery issue. Batteries CAN short out internally and hooking up another battery could possibly damage it by discharging too quickly. Remember to be careful when boosting or charging batteries, explosive(hydrogen) gases are created. When boosting hook up to positive terminals first then negative (less risk of shorting to frame/body). Store batteries fully charged in a cool place. Cement floors are ok to store on. Years ago when batterys were made of wood storing them on cement floors did cause problems but batteries made today it isnt an issue. ...Not sure if I left anything out... I rambled on too long :D

How long has it been sitting. If the electrolite is bad do yourself a favour and check to see if the battery is frozen or gel inside. If so don't jump start it just try the other battery.

Where's your sense of humour? The humorous posts and threads on OFC are second only to the great fishing information. It is one of the reasons I visit daily and would hate to see it discouraged.

I'm not trying to stir up anything but it sounds like there may have been a previous issue to trigger that response.

I thought the thread was great because not only did you get some great advice, but some funny comments as well.

Put the battery on charge for 12 hours. Then unhook it and take a volt meter to it if it is a perfect charge it should read 12.65 volts. The lower it is the weaker the unit is. Crank the battery for 30 seconds then measure the battery again it should read above 12 volts if it does not then it is time to replace the battery. It is important to check the battery right after you charge it because it will be warm enough to read correctly. If it is a cold battery this test will not work. Cleaning of the battery posts is always a good idea and putting some anti corrosion around the terminals is part of good battery care.

Art