Mercury Two Stroke Question

Scott S

If you have an inboard tank... I'd only be using Shell Premium or some other brand that has no ethanol in it. Portable tank.. I wouldn't get too worried about what you use.. regular is just fine.

What servicing does it need??

That is an open ended question just looking for opinionated answers, most of which can cost you money,(Wayne excepted). If you don't have the manual, go get one from the dealer, the manual will indicate the minimum octane rating needed to keep the motor running within specs. I don't run a black anchor, however there are a number of dealers in the local area, I go to Sturgeon Point Marina in Wasaga Beach.

Edited by Fisherman

Not to discredit anyone but I have a 2008 Merc 50 HP 2 stroke with built in fuel tank and run regular no problem. I do not use Mohawk gasolines as they have ethanol though. Esso, Petro Can and Shell are in my boat usually and so far no problems after a 100 plus gallons thru it. My Owners manual stated regular was fine just watch the ethanol content is all.

The built in fuel tank caution was due to the fact that the stuff phase seperates and absorbes water John. If you use it regularily not a big issue. Also guys with older built in tanks that may be fiberglass... you're in for a RUDE awakening with Ethanol.

I have an 2007 75 2s and I try to use gas without ethanol. I installed a water seperator filter...just in case. This also allowed me to tap in for my 4str kicker. Do yourself a favour, use some sort of gas stabilizer.( I use Marine Stabil in EVERYTHING that runs on gas).just in case the signs at the gas stations are "mistaken". Shouldn't have any problems on phase seperation.

Here is a link to a BBC (Bass Boat Central ) post that is "eye opening" http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=114216

You can drive yourself craaaazy with all the hype on ethanol. Also had a Marine Mechanic I've known for years tell that Hi-test burns different than regular...higher temp or something like that( he lost me along the way in the "splainin" thing)

FT

I have the same motor.I run regular gas from all the most popular places (Petro,Shell etc) and use stabilizer as well.The regular gas is the highest volume gas sold so it is the "freshest" gas at the pumps.No problems so far.If you don't have a manual I can give you the info you want out of it.Just pm me.