trolling motor vrs battery.. over powerd?

hey guys , so i watched a guy "magiver" his bow mount trolling motor (which is supose to run off a 12volt)

to a 24volt marine battery on the weekend.. the original orings wouldnt fit on so he basicly just strapped them on with clamps..

was wondering what would happen to the trolling motor if you used the wrong sized battery..?

aka its supose to use a 12 volt , but he has it hooked up to a 24 volt.

will this kill / fry his motor or will anything happen to it ?

very currious lol..

Edited by fish-miester

hey guys , so i watched a guy "magiver" his 12volt bow mount trolling motor to a 24volt marine battery over the weekend.. the original orings wouldnt fit on so he basicly just strapped the on with clamps..

was wondering what the possible out come for this would be ? like fry his motor or what ?

very currious lol..

I am bilingual (English & Canadian) but I have no idea what your trying to say........:)

If he hooked two batteries up in parrellel he will be fine (I did this with my starting batteries cause my fishfinder and live wells suck a lot of juice). It's still twelve volts, it'll just last longer. If he wired it up in series he has made a twenty four volt. Motor will not be so good.

he took his 24volt batery he uses in his 20 bay liner, and put it in his fishing boat to hook up to his trolling motor.. but the trolling motor is supose to be used with 12volt batteries

what could happen?

Edited by fish-miester

I’ve seen a lot of systems wired with cranking and accessory batteries in series parallel configuration; like the diagram below. It does away with having a third battery or a converter/transformer for 12 volts, to crank the engine or run other 12 volt devices. Maybe this guy was doing the same thing by only connecting to the one battery of a 24 volt battery pack and didn’t feel like or couldn’t go into an explanation.

When using one of the batteries to power a 12 volt device it will not drain the other battery. The only time both batteries are being drained by one device is if the device is connected to the 24 volt circuit.

As for connecting a 12 volt trolling motor too 24; man do they ever spin fast for a short period of time and it’s amazing how much heat & smoke can come out of such a small unit.

It’s not a complete lost though; on that ONE colder day, he’ll have a place to warm his hands; in mosquito season he can fog the bushes in that back bay. Just thought of another good reason to try this; he’ll get an upper body workout; as he’s paddling the boat out of that bay. Sorry my attempt at humor. LOL

I do agree with Tybo that the total amount of available voltage depends on the condition and state of charge of both batteries.

Dan.

152.jpg

12 volt item on a 24 volt supply... releases the magic smoke. :o It's called magic smoke because everything works while it's still hidden inside.. but nothing works when it's released!

Like Roy said.. plenty of 24 volt batteries out there... they're actually called 28 volt in the Aircraft world.

Edited by irishfield