Cookslavs "Specktacular" Algonquin adventure

Cookslav

Awesome report and pics Cookslav :thumbsup_anim::worthy:

Never been on a trip like that before and appreciate that you taken the time to tell us your story.... felt like I was tagging along B) Beautiful place :thumbsup_anim:

Hope the bear didn't cause any damage while he was sniffing around... them things are so unpredictable.

You certainly weren't kidding when you said that you weren't a light traveler.... nothing like a nice cold one after a day of fishing to chill out with a good plate of specks.

You guys got rewarded big time on the last lake you hit.... congratulations :clapping:

Beautiful trout and the colors on them is unreal :w00t:

Again great job you guys and thanks for sharing

Leechman

And carrying the beer is always worth it. We use to go in for a week and bring two senkes (Picture a restaurant soda syrup dispenser)which amstel use to sell out of the beer stores. People would laugh at us on the portages but we were certainly a very popular campsite in the evening. Our old football coach who introduced us to the park many years ago(RIP Ray) ran voyager outfitters. And he use to always find an excuse to come for a visit in the evening.

Well, now that I think of it I can't believe how fast the year went by since I last read an Algonquin Cookslav report that totally impressed me. I agree with Sinker... this time of year is special because of these types of reports. Sentimental favorites on the line for a number of great trip reporters. Yours was mint... again. Thanks. :D

Thanks again for all the kind words guys,

Nothing like cracking a cold one and having a nice meal of specks.

Ya Nemo Its a once a year treat for me, so I was in heaven :D

We had 2 first timers out there this year who could not beleive how much better fish is fresh outta of the water.

I Cautioned them that Speck trout are by far the best tasting fish to begin with(IMO of course) but also the fresh clean water of

Algonquin makes for "ultra" tasty fish.....after tasting the buttter poached batch the newbies had a hard time understanding why I limited the fish kept count for our camp and why we didn't gorge and pack some out. :rolleyes:

Its about conservation, and enjoying this with our kids in a few years, and maybe our grand kids too...I think they came away with a good appreciation for the parks resources :)

Hope the bear didn't cause any damage while he was sniffing around... them things are so unpredictable.

You certainly weren't kidding when you said that you weren't a light traveler....

Truth be told Leechman...

We never did "see" the bear as we were all in the tents, and it was dark, but I'm 90% sure given the sounds its about all it could have been.

I was awoke by the sniffing, and grunting but it was all of 3-4 seconds later that guys started yelling LOL!

He shot outta camp like a bat outta hell, and luckily there was no damage or mess to clean....The guys "actually" hung there packs for a change thank God.

As for the weight factor,

No matter how hard my portage in is...I prefer to get in and set up for comfort, so the beer and gear is a must :lol:

I've done the ultralite trips and week long loops, its fun but I personally prefer a "work my butt off for one day then relax and enjoy the benefits" kind of trip :)

They boys are feeling a bit adventurous though, and there was a lot of talk about a longer, and tougher trip for next year to switch it up...so we'll see :Gonefishing:

What a great report and trip. But, Latex gloves in the bush? Which one of you had to carry the bidet?

:lol:

Radnine you owe me a coffee, and potentially a key board...

I've been packing in the gloves for years now, and you'd be surprised how handy they are.

When your cleaning the fish they simply kick butt, because with out them....cleaning your hands in that 40-50 degree water sucks.

And if your breading your fish the gloves keep that sticky mess of your hands as well.

For the 2oz of weight I'll bring 'em every time.

"No matter how hard my portage in is...I prefer to get in and set up for comfort, so the beer and gear is a must."

What can I say? Some guys get it, and some guys don't, and emphatically Cookslav gets it.

And dude! A 30' x 30' tarp?! That is some serious bad-ass tarpage! Nice!

Note: The beers were prepackaged into re-usable plastic bottles.

Great report ... dont you just love it when they 'turn on' .. I call it the witching hour ... everybody gets fish .. then just like that they get lockjaw ...

Thanks for sharing ... I am headed back out in a week so now I'll be all the more excited :)