keeping fish for a fish tank

so a buddy of mine took me to these little streams, more like just ditches along the side of the road and we just use a little sinker and a hook with a worm and we were just hammering 4-6" specks, it was hilarious, youd never think there would be any fish in these little streams. i think it would be pretty neat to catch a few and put them in a fish tank, id way rather have amazing looking specks then a dorky gold fish. is it illegal to keep live fish if you dont plan on planning them anywhere?

I have seen a few guys keep Rock Bass. Gotta keep em cool though. It's neat watching them go at a minnow.

I don't think you could keep a spec cold enough without spending a pile.

and yeah, its illegal

and what creeks?

PS, we got a pile of whitefish outta Big Basswood saturday...pics on Monday

ya thats true, we were getting tons of little guys and they were all nice and colourful, it was just a thought. we were hammering them in basically the ditch along the side of the 552 road just down from where you turn onto it at upper/lower island lakes. you'd never think there would be any fish in those ditches.

ya thats true, we were getting tons of little guys and they were all nice and colourful, it was just a thought. we were hammering them in basically the ditch along the side of the 552 road just down from where you turn onto it at upper/lower island lakes. you'd never think there would be any fish in those ditches.

Cool, I woulda never thought to fish them.

Caught specs as a kid in the Orangeville area in the ditches though

Cool, I woulda never thought to fish them.

Caught specs as a kid in the Orangeville area in the ditches though

I used to catch them in St Jacobs when i was a kid as well in the creeks and ditches... ahh the memories and great times.

Theres specks in every little creek and ditch north of the soo, so long as there isnt some sort of contaminant running into it. If you hit the right one, you can pull out bigger fish than what the southern ontario guys catch. I think last year out of a culvert 6'' deep and 3-4ft wide I was catching 8-10'' specks, biggest was 12.5''. You'd never even know they were there.

Cool, the little buggers are everywhere. It is illegal to keep them in a tank and if you were gonna you'd have to have a large tank with a chiller and wicked filteration and lots of current and a ton of luck. I tried to keep a smallmouth when I was a kid and it didn't work out very well, tank too small(35 gal) not sufficiant filteration or fresh water/current and it didn't want to eat. I had to let it go within a week or it would have died. B)

Very interesting to know... I used to bring bass & pike home in the livewell just to show my girls when they were younger.. The fish would survive the trip home and they girls were thrilled to see a live fish daddy had caught.. So, my question ?? By me transporting these fish home in my livewell, was I breaking the law ??

Damn, if I was, it really never occured to me and it seemed like no big deal...

Tiz

I too did not know I was doing anything wrong,[it was over 40 yrs. ago], and kept a largemouth for 3 years. It went from being a couple of ozs. to just over a pound. After it died. it not go to waste , I did not want to eat it, but the dog who always watched it in the tank just loved it for dinner.

Very interesting to know... I used to bring bass & pike home in the livewell just to show my girls when they were younger.. The fish would survive the trip home and they girls were thrilled to see a live fish daddy had caught.. So, my question ?? By me transporting these fish home in my livewell, was I breaking the law ??

Damn, if I was, it really never occured to me and it seemed like no big deal...

Tiz

Yes illegal too. I think there was a thread last week about this. It is illegal to transport any caught fish in water, as people are known to drop them off at little lakes along the way and introduce that species into them for angling use, even though it completly screws up the ecosystem there.

Yes illegal too. I think there was a thread last week about this. It is illegal to transport any caught fish in water, as people are known to drop them off at little lakes along the way and introduce that species into them for angling use, even though it completly screws up the ecosystem there.

Kinda like the salmon/rainbow fishery in the Great Lakes....

i usually catch and release, but the odd time i do bring one home its alive in the live well. :oops: what kind of fine is there for this?

it is easier than a cooler full of ice and dead fish

i usually catch and release, but the odd time i do bring one home its alive in the live well. :oops: what kind of fine is there for this?

it is easier than a cooler full of ice and dead fish

It's a big fine just so you know. I do not know the $$ but you may want to look into it...

Edited by GBW

It's a big fine just so you know. I do not know the $$ but you may want to look into it...

Im pretty sure you'd be charged under the fish and wildlife conservation act, max $25,000 fine and/or 1yr in jail.