4 Stroke Question - How Do You Start It?

Hey Guys, well it's Spring and time for me to wrestle with my 4hp, 4 Stroke Merc. What's the best way to start it when it's cold. Keep the choke out until it starts or pull a few times with the choke and then push it back in an keep pulling? It has a new plug and was properly stored for the winter.

Any help would be appreciated as my arm is getting very tired! :wallbash:

Thanks!

Make sure you have squeezed the prime bulb to bring fuel to the motor first.

Pull out the choke and advance the throttle to the start mark.

Pull the rope/turn the key etc. Normally you keep the choke out until it starts.

It should fire right up.

Internal or external fuel tank??

If internal, is there gas in it(been there, done that, :lol: )?

If internal, is the fuel shutoff valve still in the off position?

Is the spark plug boot firmly pushed onto the top of the spark plug?

Internal tank, plug is new and fully inserted into boot. I check and has good spark. So, over 50 pulls later still won't go.

I tried choke out with two pulls, followed by at least 10. Then tried choke in, throttle on start position with at least 10 pulls, then tried throttle full on with at least 10 pulls, then gas off - choke out and throttle on full with at least 20 pulls. Still nothing! Once I get it going it's fine for the season but it is an absolute bugger to get going in spring.

So, any thougths?

What I really want to know is, do I choke for one pull and then keep trying or leave the choke out until it's going?

Internal tank, plug is new and fully inserted into boot. I check and has good spark. So, over 50 pulls later still won't go.

I tried choke out with two pulls, followed by at least 10. Then tried choke in, throttle on start position with at least 10 pulls, then tried throttle full on with at least 10 pulls, then gas off - choke out and throttle on full with at least 20 pulls. Still nothing! Once I get it going it's fine for the season but it is an absolute bugger to get going in spring.

So, any thougths?

What I really want to know is, do I choke for one pull and then keep trying or leave the choke out until it's going?

You've probably fouled your new plug. I usually leave last season's plug in for initial start up.

As Wayne mentioned, ensure the safety switch is in.

Leave the choke out until it runs, keep the throttle in the start position. When it gets going, it will rev up. Back the throttle to the idle position. When it begins to stumble, push the choke in.

Since you've tried the full throttle thing, remove the plug and clean it. If it seems fine, you might have a fuel delivery issue. If it's soaked, you're flooded. While you're cleaning the cylinder can air-out a bit. Try it again, choke out in start position.

Thanks guys! It's alive!!!!! Seems choke out until it tries to start, then choke in until it starts, then choke out to keep it going until it sputters and then choke back in. I should write that down but then what fun would I have next spring!

Did you put the safety lanyard clip under the kill switch.....

He wouldn't have spark if the kill switch was off.

Choke the heck out of it till it starts. Failing that, clean the carb.

You could have poured a bit of gas in the spark plug hole too.

Congrats!!!!!!!

I still have 2 feet of ice up here, ain't even thinking of starting up my outboard for another 2 weeks yet, :D

hey big guy...hows it going.

Our lakes are open and the lakers and whitefish are hitting like mad

Yup with a littl bit of Gas in the Cylinder. Had to do it for my Lawnmower in Big River, Home and the work shop. Also the riding mower. Hopefully I dont have to do that for my 9.9 Yammy

A 9.9 yammie should start right up.

Every 5 or 6 years you will have to pull the carb and clean it. They gum up and can't get gas

My 15 was like that.

I don't "store" it though. I shut it off,a few weeks later I realize fishing is over, so I take it off the boat and put it in the basement, then in spring, I make sure it starts in a garbage can and go fishing

throttle "start" position means nothin .. I put mine almost at full untill she starts then tone it down .. choke out till she warms up then good to go

A yammie throttle won't go past start unless its in gear, and then the pull cord is locked out

I've got a smaller motor, a 2hp Honda that was always hard to start at the beginning of each season.

Strangely it has no primer bulb.

I twisted the throttle, choked it, did everything right and it still wouldn't start.

There's a small clear overflow hose hanging out the back of the motor coming from the carb.

Each spring I have to twist it upwards and suck 'till I'm spitting gas. Only then will it start.

Says nothing in the manual about that, had to figure it out myself...

There's a small clear overflow hose hanging out the back of the motor coming from the carb.

Each spring I have to twist it upwards and suck 'till I'm spitting gas. Only then will it start.

Geeez Mike... I always wonder how people do things for the first time. Like for example the very first dude to find a lobster...what was he thinking?? Oh look at that what a scrumptious looking thing I really want to eat that!

So, you see a hose at the back of your outboard and thought Wow!!!! Now I wonder what would happen if I sucked on that! :thumbsup_anim:

Geeez Mike... I always wonder how people do things for the first time. Like for example the very first dude to find a lobster...what was he thinking?? Oh look at that what a scrumptious looking thing I really want to eat that!

So, you see a hose at the back of your outboard and thought Wow!!!! Now I wonder what would happen if I sucked on that! :thumbsup_anim:

:lol:

Well there was a thought process that occurred before I started sucking.

I've got a smaller motor, a 2hp Honda that was always hard to start at the beginning of each season.

Strangely it has no primer bulb.

I twisted the throttle, choked it, did everything right and it still wouldn't start.

Solo, Reminds me of this episode