Fiddleheads NF

Does anybody know if there are any areas around Brantford where you can pick fiddleheads within an hour radius? I don't mind going far to get them. Any info would be appreciated.

Edited by Stern Rules

I always went to the Elora gorge park. Probably a bit more than 50kms but a load there. Go in the park... drive down to the bridge that crosses the river. Just as you head down the hill to the bridge on the left hand side there is a spring/creek set back in the bush... tonnes here and also some nice water crest

Fiddle heads and brook trout creeks go hand in hand. If you know anywhere local that has brookies, browns or rainbows take a walk and have a look. My spot is the credit river just north of Inglewood right through to the forks. Since they made it artificial only I don't get back up there too much.

don't know your area

but if you miss out this spring ( they don't last long) keep an eye out for the mature plants ( ostrich ferns) during the summer months and make a mental note.Wet boggy areas are the key

good hunting

Now if I could just find some morels :D

TB

Remember to do your research and pick the oestreich ferns, not the Bracken ferns. Brackens contain some sort of toxin, that when eaten in large quantities can be harmful. I've never picked either myself, but having done some research I seem to remember that one of them grows in small clumps while the other is more spread out. Im sure there are experts around here on the subject.

Remember to do your research and pick the oestreich ferns, not the Bracken ferns. Brackens contain some sort of toxin, that when eaten in large quantities can be harmful. I've never picked either myself, but having done some research I seem to remember that one of them grows in small clumps while the other is more spread out. Im sure there are experts around here on the subject.

Definitely worth doing the research, apparantely it takes a while for the toxin to take effect.

2nd weekend in may special on my menu; Fresh Brook trout and Fiddlehead Risotto

Always added Black Morels to dishes prepared with those seasonal items.

Haven't seen morels yet this year though.

th_m1.jpg

Bracken grow via 'runners' so the individual shoots are seperate .( Single)

Fiddle heads ( Ostrich ferns) grow in clumps with several shoots together.Look for a little mound from the previous years gowth.

Never tried morels , would they be in the same areas at fiddleheads?

TB

im also in brantford and know of a few honey holes within city limits. but giving out their locations would be like telling the world about a secluded little trout lake...NO DICE! :thumbsup_anim:

just get out and look for lower places that are usually more wet than other areas. close to swamps but not in them...

good luck

I wouldn't tell where honey holes were either. I guess I'll have to go out looking for more spots. Thanks for all the info guys.

They're literally just about anywhere stern, when you find them though, be sure to harvest just a couple of heads off of each crown. If it looks like someone else beat ya to it, keep moving as you should be able to find an untouched patch nearby.