swine flu outbreak

oxcowboy

ive been following this pretty close, we are booked to go to cancun mexico on june 15th, the other couple that were going with us are already talking about backing out. as of right now, we are still planning on going. not sure how bad this thing might get. there have already been several reported cases in new york, nova scotia, california and now 1 in ohio. the one thing in common is mexico vacations.

i talked with the travel people today and of course the tickets can only be changed for the destination within the same week. any thoughts on what we should do? or where else to go?

jason

ive been following this pretty close, we are booked to go to cancun mexico on june 15th, the other couple that were going with us are already talking about backing out. as of right now, we are still planning on going. not sure how bad this thing might get. there have already been several reported cases in new york, nova scotia, california and now 1 in ohio. the one thing in common is mexico vacations.

i talked with the travel people today and of course the tickets can only be changed for the destination within the same week. any thoughts on what we should do? or where else to go?

jason

Based on what we know today, i would not go. If you go to bbc (the best news source, i think) its pretty scary stuff. Mexico is a crapstorm right now. Look up the mexican accounts on bbc's website....a doctor talking about how many hospital staff have died.

If you catch it here you'll get first class hospital treatment. If you catch it there.....

i think everyone is discussion the issue now....two cases in Canada...and both are linked to Mexico.....regardless of the extra precautions you take ....do you think the people of mexico are taking the same precautions while cooking your food or carrying your luggage...chances are unlikely you catch it ...so have a good time bring a hand sanitizer with you especially in public rest rooms ...even if you wash your hands ...there are hundreds that dont seem to have the time to ...and they exit through the same door knob as you ...

I think atm we only know half the truth/ story about this outbreak and what is really happening. My wife is a frontline healthcare worker here in Oz, and as of this morning is at a training course in Melbourne. In her 25yrs she has never been called to an emergency training course. I am hoping they are just really airing on the side of caution.

... a burnt motor oil and Tabasco sauce enema before you leave and upon your return should protect you...

wasnt to worried about it entering my body in that area gcd. lol

i think im gonna start looking into other area's to go, we have until one week before to decide.

jason

wasnt to worried about it entering my body in that area gcd. lol

i think im gonna start looking into other area's to go, we have until one week before to decide.

jason

... just think where "Montazuma's Revenge" takes it's greatest toll Ox!... it didn't enter your body there... but dammit man, that's where you pay!!!

I have heard that doctors are giving out letters to patients that they have an inner ear infection and cannot fly so that cancellation is free though cancellation insurance..but it appears the airlines and such are now waiving penalties cause i would imagine the flight staff doesn't want to go either...

Personally i think we need a travel ban until it has been contained.

My buddy was going to go next week and said that the Mexico gov't website said the flu was contained to one state there...i reminded him he doesn't even trust our gov't yet he was willing to trust theirs...he cancelled.

when it comes to health and safety ...it is always wise to stay due dilegent but ....yeah there is a but ...how many people actually died from the bird flu or sars ???? the last outbreak of the swine in 76 took only one life as opposed to in the 1800s when it wiped out half a million people......i wouldnt cancel my trip if i was going ...but i would be extra attentative to common areas and carry a good sanitizer...( and use it )

hmmmmmmmmmm....i wonder if they make masks that can be tanned through ...it would be terrible to come back having a white face patch from your mask...

As i said before ...due dilligence weather that means not going at all or taking personal protection devices....

Mexico - killer spores in the air ...hepatitis in the water and god forbid you were to eat a baracuda.... why go ??? because ya can and its there ...why climb mount everest where there is harldy any oxygen and the mortality rate per capita exceeds the swine flu.....( i suppose i should say) ....as of yet

Heres my take on it ...if there is an epidemic in Mexico.....its only there to keep the Americans from going over the border to battle the drug cartels.....

just my 02 cents ...but i would still go ....

Lets see,

Swine Flu

Your Parts left on the streets at the four corners of Mexico, Litterly

Hostage taking

Travel agencys going bankrupt and leaving you stranded and flipping the Bill.

Yea go, have fun. Hope you come back healthy with all your parts. But I suppose you can just hang out with only the tourists.

hmmmmmmmmmm....i wonder if they make masks that can be tanned through ...it would be terrible to come back having a white face patch from your mask...

As i said before ...due dilligence weather that means not going at all or taking personal protection devices....

Mexico - killer spores in the air ...hepatitis in the water and god forbid you were to eat a baracuda.... why go ??? because ya can and its there ...why climb mount everest where there is harldy any oxygen and the mortality rate per capita exceeds the swine flu.....( i suppose i should say) ....as of yet

Heres my take on it ...if there is an epidemic in Mexico.....its only there to keep the Americans from going over the border to battle the drug cartels.....

just my 02 cents ...but i would still go ....

Sure!... go!... have fun!!!

... and when you bring the disease back and give it to your friends and family and help the global spread... just think how much fun you had while on your vacation!!! :thumbsup_anim:

It doesn't usually kill normal healthy adults... but does have the potential to take the lives of small children and the elderly.

... and some folks like to get/be sick I reckon. :rolleyes:

Here are a couple of links for your consideration:

Foreign Affairs Canada

Public Health Agency Of Canada

In addition, there seems to be more and more stories of tourists being detained by Mexican Police for extensive periods of time awaiting court hearings etc. Many of these were results of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. There is a big crackdown on the drug cartel especially in northern Mexico which has reeked havoc in the country. The Canadian Government (like the U.S.) is typically powerless to assist so you're on your own. I believe the major airlines are offering a change of destination without penalty while this swine flu is around. There are many alternatives in the Caribbean as well so it may be wise to avoid a hotspot until things cool down. Most sun destinations have an unwritten rule where tourists are somewhat protected, Cuba being a good example. Mexico would be the opposite in my opinion (for all it's worth).

Best of luck!

Peter

We'll I read this article and it seems as if you might be fine depending on where your going. I wouldn't think of going to Mexico city!!

Guadalupe, Mexico City

This is another blow to the tourism industry in Mexico, even though non of the events that is taken place is anywhere near the tourist areas of Cancun, Playa del Carmen or Puerto Vallarta, the news comes across as all of Mexico is affected! After wrong reports of drug related violence, military presence etc. in Cancun, which hurt the industry tremendously, now people think that all of Mexico is affected by a virus that is mostly present in the capital. I guess the problem is that this is a country where the capital carries the same name as the country, thus when people hear news about Mexico, albeit it refers to Mexico City, they assume it is affecting the whole country.

Rainer, Cancun

mmm...I'd say it goes a bit deeper then the regions personally.

There seems to be an issue with the Police, and even the Government spokes people telling the complete truth, amidst allogations of coverups.

Which might be political shinanigans shared by most of the worlds leaders when it comes to tax money, but in this instance its violent crime, infectous disease, and the general well being of tourists.....I think I'll spend my money at home for now ;)

I suspect the odds are extremely high against you contracting anything, particularly in Cancun. From personal experience I can tell you that the Hotel Zone is a very clean and safe place and a long long way geographically from Mexico City with the Gulf of Mexico as a natural barrier. But that being said, when attention turns to talk of a "pandemic" involving an airborne virus I wonder if there's any trip worth getting on a plane full of humanity for.

JF