A few reports from the past couple of weeks

tip-up

Jan ??, 2007

Got out with a small group tonight hoping to get into a few walleye...I was marking fish earlier on in the day and caught a few small perch but as soon as the time came when the ol' marble eyes are known to start on the feed, they were actually non-existent...Packed up at around 6....I will give it another go tomorrow...Will try a bit shallower though...

IceFishingPetrieJan20003.jpg

Jan 19, 2007

I only had the chance to get out on the ice twice in the last 7 days considering I have to go to school and have other priorities as well.. I caught my PB crappie at just under 15'' on the Ottawa River. A beast in my books..unfortunately, no camera that day..bite was very slow with no more than 10 fish caught . I tried everything to get 'em to bite. Dropped every teardrop imaginable in front of there face ...d**n Lockjaw bluegills...I decided to give it a go again and did no better...Bite was still slow and only managed a few crappie, biggest at 10''..

It's finally nice to see some of the larger areas starting to freeze up, 4''-10'' in most spots around town...I cannot wait to get out for some real game tomorrow...Pike sounds good as does walleye and brookies..Hmmm. It's going to be a good weekend now that I don't have to sit in one spot. Everythings ready to go for the morning, now I just have to decide where I want to fish... Stay tuned for a report.

Good luck this weekend everyone, most importantly, be safe and have fun !

-Andrew

Crappie anyone?

DSCF0049.jpg

DSCF0047.jpg

Crappie under the ice...

DSCF0052.jpg

If I caught one, there must be more right ??? :-\...no

DSCF0046-1.jpg

Jan 26, 2007

Fished an urban fishing spot in Quebec today hoping to set the hooks into some monster pike that are known to be caught in the area. We arrived at the bay around 9:00am and had it all to ourself(Well, the half that was frozen that is)..man was it cold...-31 with the wind rippin. Fingers numbed up pretty fast..Thank god for my buddy..Mr.Buddy that is.

Unfortunately, to our luck, the spot Anthony and I wanted to get to had no ice yet. This spot had over a foot of ice last year..Water levels raised a foot or two this past week making the lack of ice we have this year even worse...Rapids and current only a few hundred meters away didn't hep either.. Anthony and I proceeded to fish the shallow weedy shore of the bay anyway and set-up base over 8 FOW. Ice was 5'' rimming the shoreline and about 1' out further..Thought I might add we were 100 yards from open water...

Tip-ups were set-up along a weed-edge we found using the Marcum underwater camera. It's nice to know what kind of bottom your standing over before taking the time to set-up..I find the camera key when trying to locate that fish holding bottom and structure your looking for. Gives ya that extra edge..In no time we were into the nuisance perch that roam the basin of the bay..they are everywhere...I say this because out of the hundreds I have seen yanked from around here, only about 10 have reached the 10''+ mark. I have seen bigger on different sections of the river..again, not around where I was today..

Anthony with a typical Deschenes Bay perch...

DechenesbayJan.jpg

First rod to start thumping and sounding bells had a knuckle-ball jig head tipped with a small shiner.I ran, and lay ed the hooks into him...Oh yea.

The winds blowing and it's freezing out there pose.. First Pike under the belt this season. I'm happy...definatly worth the wind burn and no feeling in both hands. Now, I thinking, there must be a 20 pounder lurking down there somewhere...Tossed the little dart back down the hole so he can fill in his bigger buddies about our gracious offerings.

DechenesbayJan-2.jpg

Not 5 minutes later and I noticed a flag pop up in the distance...Anthony was at the hole in seconds and alerted me that there was a fish on indeed! Hopefully this is the one were looking for...Nope. Gave this guy a few pounds, no more..Quick pic and tossed him back down the hole...

DechenesbayJan-3.jpg

DechenesbayJan-4.jpg

As the day continued on, we got into a few more dinky perch and missed a flag...we went 2/3 on the hammer handles and I could not tell ya how many perch we caught..(Was not that many) I will be back out tomorrow with some 6'' Golden shiners...It was nice to be back out on the ice with my little bro again, a few flags made it a bit more exiting as well...

Can't wait to get back out tomorrow. Will fill ya guys and gals in with a Little report when I return.

DechenesbayJan-5.jpg

-Andrew

Jan 31, 2007

Fished a small shoal on the Ottawa last night in search of walleye. Action was pretty slow later on in the evening, most fish were caught around 4-5pm or so....We left around 7. Ended up with around 7 walleye and a small pike..Anthony caught his first walleye of the season a few more as well..Weekend looks good, so I am hoping to get back out :D Nice to see Jackel out, I think he finished off with 8 or so ??? Sorry, only a few bad pictures..tried another camera we had in the house...it will be the last time using it :rolleyes: Batteries are crap :blink:

100_0081.jpg

100_0082_0001.jpg

-Andrew

Feb 3, 2007

Fished Petrie again today hoping to get into a few walleye...I got down there around 10:30am, set-up and got into a few small fish immediatly..Not too long after Wallyboss strolled in on his 4wheeler and set up base over the shoal..The bite was really slow today. I managed 6 walleye/sauger and kept a few sauger around the pound, pound and a half range for a light snack ...Dan also caught a couple of walleye around the same size..He had a few on the stinger, don't know how he made out after I took off though..I left at 4:30 so I can get an early start tomorrow .

The set-lines and tip-ups accounted for most of the walleye today although moving around from hole to hole looking for active fish worked well too..I didn't get to do much of that today as the wind was howling.

Couple of small sauger..

BaitshopBayFeb-1.jpg

Beautiful day :santa:

DSCF0040.jpg

-Andrew

Good luck to everyone who is fishing tomorrow!

Edited by tip-up