How do you dry your lures / hooks?

ozaibak1

Hi, MikeTheBassFisher's post about rust on his Rapala got me thinking. How do you dry your metal lures or hooks for storage. I do recall reading some posts about this, but what is the best way?

Do you actually dry them off with a cloth / towel and leave the tackle box open, or would just leaving the tackle box open for 24 hours do the trick? I learned about this the hard way when I was starting out, when I came back to my tackle box after winter storage and there was orange everywhere! Some lures were not salvagable unfortunately, but I won't let that happen again! Just want to know the best way, thx.

If it is really wet I open all the boxes and leave the tackle box and/or bags open and just run a fan over them for a day or two in the basement. If there is a lot of water I will use a old t-shirt or paper towels to get ride of some of the water before using the fan.

Saltwater would be a little different, but that is not a problem here.

We don't have any little one running around yet and the dog or my wife is rarely in the basement.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i wasted a lot of tackle growing up.

my solution was to pack a custom tray or two each time i go out. when i get home i empty them and return them to a main bulk tackle pack

I store everything in Plano trays so I only take what I need for the trip .. I open them up to dry overnight or longer if it was raining out when I was fishing .. I also put white rice in all my boxes to soak up any moisture in case I forget to dry them out .. been doing this for years and never had any rusted hooks

gallery_164_46_110031.jpg

I do the rice trick to soak up the moisture from the air/lures.

I just tend to shake off all the excess water before putting them away, with a few grains of rice in the box, then just change the rice every couple of trips

All of my baits are stored in tackle boxes or boat compartments so they hang freely and I never have a rust problem. If your laying wet baits horizontal in plastic trays you'll get rust every time.

When I'm done for the day and bring up my bow mount, I hang all my large wet boo & bucktails off the power cord and by the time I get back to the dock, the air rushing over them has them all dried out and ready for hanging in their respective spots.

Baits, specially large musky baits, are far to expensive to have laying around getting rusty and it only takes minimal effort to keep them in good shape. :Gonefishing:

After use baits are never put right into the box. I usually leave them out on the deck of the boat. If it's pissing down rain, then I'll take them out when I get home, dry the box and put the lures on a towel...

I use the minnow bait live well for my drying box when switching up baits I will place them in there until I get home then set them out on the back deck of the boat and let them dry for a day or so I have yet to loose one to a local cat that we have crawling around here