Boat registration?

mistaredone

Ok, so I finally bought my first boat :santa: a 1993 15 foot cobra bass boat with a 90 Evenrude tracker pro ( pics to come ) and have been going through all the motions to make it official. My first trip was to the MTO to get a plate for my home made trailer $35. Next to a Canada service building to do the pleasure craft licence document. I was under the impression that this is where I pay taxes on the boat but that was not the case. Am I missing a step? Next was saftey gear I price compared BP and CT and I ended saving a bundle at CT.

3 clip Life jackets, entry price CT $20 BP $40

7 foot boat oars CT $26 BP $40

Container with rope,light,whistle ect CT $9 BP $29

1000000 candle power light CT $12 BP$20

15 foot marine rope CT $13

Bumpers CT $9 each or 4 for $34

Solid looking trailer lock CT $9

Keep in mind the BP gear may or may not be better quality but I was looking to save $$$

I was also wondering about marine audio? I was looking at the housing for the sterieo witch looked prettey water proof and was wondering if I could get away with a car sterieo? As for steakers I was thinking of installing them under the deck where they should stay dry. Is this just a bad idea? Can I get speaker covers that are water proof for my car speakers?

Other than Audio Im installing battarie guages for the trolling and starting motors. I should be on the water by Friday, ready for the warm weather.

As always thanks for all the help.

Still trying to load pics.

mix_pics_2009_797.JPG

mix_pics_2009_798.JPG

Edited by mistaredone

Congrats on the boat purchase. Boat licensing is just that. It has nothing to do with taxes. It has to do with having a boat number to identify the vessel.

I have no idea why you want oars for a bass boat. Am I missing something here?

Guest skeeter99
Congrats on the boat purchase. Boat licensing is just that. It has nothing to do with taxes. It has to do with having a boat number to identify the vessel.

I have no idea why you want oars for a bass boat. Am I missing something here?

he needs oars because it is the law

you must have a paddling device

First of all congrats!!

Hmmm.... the MTO should have collected the taxes... but since they did not.... they could however come back later on for them... not uncommon.

I would suggest more then 15' of rope.. and would definatly have at least two lengths on board.. one for bow and stern as well as one for miscellaneous purposes (ie. towing etc)

I picked up my housing at Cabela's for cheaper then I could get it here if I remember correctly...

I purchased a marine stereo kit (CD,MP3 and radio + two weather proof speakers) for 149.00 + taxes and built two small boxes for the speakers

Good luck! now the fun begins!

Cant wait to see the pix!

G

Roy has it right, you need an anchor OR paddles. I always have both on board, and an electric.

Make sure your light floats and it has good batteries. If it doesn't work, it won't pass.

Haved fun with the new ride........there is always something else that you "need" for a boat.

Sinker

I thought an anchor was also a must.

One or the other... not worth the arguement though with some OPP.. have both!

Gerritt... the MTO does not collect taxes for boats.. trailers yes.

Crap shoot.. he may or may not get a letter from Oshawa looking for said PST.

My understanding was you needed another method of propulsion period....

And Wayne.. the MTO will collect the taxes on the entire package not just the trailer.. as I found out when I purchased Spiel's old boat.

They will.. but they don't have the legal capacity to collect taxes on a federally registered item ! You shouldn't have and you should have had a bill for the trailer.. and the boat seperate.

I was pulled over for speeding in a no wake zone....clocked @ 15 in a 9 kph zone ....

They stripped searched the boat and this is how it went...as I recall.

from a checklist.:

life jackets.. paddles.. whistle.. bailing bucket.. anchor and rope.... 40' throw rope..working flashlight...good registration and ID.

I also have a fire extinguisher on board and a survival kit.. they gave me kudos for that.

They let me off with a warning for speeding and that was that.

Enjoy the New Boat...

As for the stereo an automotive unit will last for years so long as you buy the 25$ cover....

RFS

:canadian:

Your understanding and the regulations are two different things. For any powered boat under 19'8", this is what you need.

• 1 approved and properly sized lifejacket (yellow, red or orange) or PFD (personal floatation device) for each person on board
  • 15 m (50') buoyant heaving line
  • 1 manual propelling device [oar] OR anchor with 15 m (50') of cable, rope or chain
  • 1 bailer OR manual pump with enough hose to pump water overboard [Not required for multi-hull vessel that has subdivided multiple-sealed hull construction.]
  • 1 Class 5BC fire extinguisher if vessel has inboard engine OR a fixed fuel tank OR fuel-burning heater, stove, or refrigerator.
  • 1 watertight flashlight OR 3 flares* of Type A, B or C
  • Sound signalling device (horn)
  • Navigation lights must comply with Collision Regulations [Not required unless operated at night or in restricted visibility.]

It should also be noted that an anchor with the required length of rope/cable/chain is a far better propelling device than an oar.