Tenting with young kids.

express168

Since selling my boat and getting my business going I haven't done too much fishing. I am looking for some suggestions in regards to a good lake or campground that you guys would recommend for me to take my 7 year old son for a couple nights of tenting and bonding time. Anywhere with in 3 hours of Hamilton and would like great fishing for pan fish to keep him excited. I have Rice Lake in mind but I was wondering if any of you have been anywhere specific that you would really recommend for a father and son type of trip like this. Thanks.

I can't help much with the location, but I'll offer a suggestion. Try a trial run in the back yard on a nice warm and dry night. Lets you double check some of your gear and gives the little one a taste of the real deal, before you are hours from home.

Good luck.

kicking frog has a good suggestion..

then you can take him to serpent mounds park in bewdley for the weekend.

good camp grounds and you can rent a boat right in bewdley.

your son will catch more pan fish there , and you will be hard pressed to keep up with him.

just remember to take your camera!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the closer places we keep going back to is the Pinery. If you can get into any sites in the "Dunes" camping area you'll be very fortunate. It books up really fast. Maybe a midweek stay would be available still. After staying at the Dunes, I'd never want to stay anywhere else there. The fishing is decent for panfish,cats and the odd bass in the canal. The swimming and beaches are awesome. My kids love it there almost as much as Sandbanks. If you're kids are swimmers you can't go wrong.

Edited by kennyman

Try out Falls Reserve Cons. Area in Benmiller near Goderich. Great swimming in the river (all flat bedrock) several ponds stocked with bass, panfish and trout and the fishing on the Maitland is great for bass. If the fishing slows down you can wade in the river forever looking for minnows, crayfish, bugs, etc It's a very kid friendly area. Some time around bass opener they have a kids bass derby in the ponds with lots of great prizes for them. My son is also 7 and he loves the place

jjcanoe

We did the backyard trial run in the tent last summer, we have been to some cottages in the past but he has expressed an interest in camping out and fishing with dad for a couple nights. I of course am ready to honour his request and I think that I am more excited about it than he is.

There are some decent spots right close to home. Byng CA in Dunnville. Chippewa CA in Wellandport. Valens CA up the #6 Just for starters.

Further away Bass Lake PP on hwy 12 west of Orillia. 6 Mile Lake PP on hwy 69 just north of Pt Severn. Balsam Lake PP west of Coboconk on hwy 48

Edited by bigugli

I can't help much with the location, but I'll offer a suggestion. Try a trial run in the back yard on a nice warm and dry night. Lets you double check some of your gear and gives the little one a taste of the real deal, before you are hours from home.

Or just make sure you travel in a van or big suv. My one effort at male bonding with one of my boys at that age could have been a disaster. When we arrived at the campground I discovered that I'd forgotten the tent fly for our pup tent. The sky looked fine so we just went with what we had. Of course around midnight the thunder started followed shortly thereafter by torrential rains (Well, they felt torrential as the raindrops filtered thru the canvas and splattered on us). Once the rain water soaked thru our sleeping bags and Steve started whimpering (or mebbe it was me whimpering) I made an executive decision and moved us to the van. We spent the rest of the night warm and dry (with the engine and heater on, of course) and in the morning we hung everytning in the sun to dry so we could go back to communing with nature the next night, with no rain.

Nature is a great place for parents and kids to bond ... almost as good as a warm dry van. I highly recommend it.

JF

Edited by JohnF

One of the closer places we keep going back to is the Pinery. If you can get into any sites in the "Dunes" camping area you'll be very fortunate. It books up really fast. Maybe a midweek stay would be available still. After staying at the Dunes, I'd never want to stay anywhere else there. The fishing is decent for panfish,cats and the odd bass in the canal. The swimming and beaches are awesome. My kids love it there almost as much as Sandbanks. If you're kids are swimmers you can't go wrong.

Agreed, went there as a kid with my best friend & his parents. Caught our first pike there and had a blast camping. THe dunes were so much fun for us kids.

There are some decent spots right close to home. Chippewa CA in Wellandport.

I like that spot bigugli mentioned, I've gone there several times and they have some nice camping spots. You can buy wood there for a nice fire, go swimming in their man made pond, rent a paddle boat or canoe, or go fishing for some good size largemouth, I've caught them up to 3lbs in there, plus tons of sunfish. Or you can head over to the creek and try your luck for some huge catfish. That could be a good start and its just outside of Smithville.

Chippewa CA in Wellandport. Bruce this sounds like a great place to get the kids out for some fishing and camping. Are you interested?

BTW I'm not telling my little one it would be a suprise :lol:

Just remember that fishing at Chippewa and many other CA's won't open until bass opener. They also have a fun derby, as does Valens.

You can't beat Bass Lake PP near Orillia. They have small tinnies and canoes that you can rent right on premises. There are plenty of panfish in the lake along with Smallies. The park also has a nice beach with a playground at the waters edge with the old fashioned spinning wheel where one kid runs around outside to spin it and all of the other kids hang on inside.

Orillia is only 10 minutes away, so if the whether is losy, you can go into town and catch a movie. The park in downtown Orillia also has a miniture steam engine that you can take him on!

Bigugli, thanks for reminding me about Chippewa, I have not been out that way for a while and I need to keep it in mind for some day fishing trips to.

Byng's not bad either. If the bite is off they have the big pool, and the mini putt around the corner.

A friend of mine used to have a family sized sleeping bag when his sons were small on their early camping adventures.