passports

outllaw

I've had a passport since the early 80s because work involved international travel. Although retired, I still renew my passport every 5 years - facilitates crossing the US/Canada border both ways. And as already stated, the renewal process now takes less than 10 days.

As someone else said already - one never knows when business or pleasure will present the next opportunity for international travel, so why be unprepared? We North Americans are among the most affluent and internationally mobile of all of the world's societies, so it only seems logical to have a current passport for whatever travel opportunity presents itself. I'd sure hate to miss out on a great trip just because I hadn't bothered to renew my passport.

Besides, we only truly get to appreciate how lucky we are when we visit other countries. Canada just keeps looking better & better when you travel a bit.

JF

tourism in Ontario will take a big hit this summer because there's a lot less Americans with them than Canadians.

Americans make up a large portion of our tourism revenue.

That's too bad, I enjoy seeing our Southern neighbors up here having a good time, I find most of them to be some of the more well-mannered, 'educated', and likeable Americans. I'm sure I'd be welcome and get along with them fine if I was on a trip down south. It annoys me to see that our border with America is being so heavily regulated, as much as Mexico's even, under the guise of 'security' which could be true but I see it to be Bull, the 'security' thing is just an excuse. If it wasn't so much of a hassle to fly and travel down there I'd be doing so much more often, it's a shame they have the fortress mentality, I guess us Canadians are quite the threat... to America?? Rly?

I'll tell ya if our border wasn't so tight I'd be down there fishin and huntin and minglin ALL THE TIME, I love Americans and their personality, but hate the policies of their government that don't represent noone but themselves! End of Rant.

LOL BassKiller, most Americans don`t like it either. Funny that Mexico is very strict on who enters there from it`s poorer neighbors(is that possible?) but they certainly don`t watch who is leaving their northern border well!

Something on the news this morning? Between the amount of money illegals are sending home to Mexico and the illegal drug trade it equals almost half the legal trade between the US and Mexico. Our problems seem to be with the southern border. But politicians can screw up anything.

i got mine a month or to back, but i have no desire to go down in the states, i live on a border town and i refuse to go unless i absolutly have to like for work or picking up a package, its a whole other world other there as soon as you cross over that line, i would care less if they cut us off from going over there for good.

Oh YEA, it's definitely different down here. We have women with two heads walking around and some men with three legs running around...... :rolleyes: ...... not to mention how much less they make us pay for gasoline.... :D Better stay in Canada where there are only normal Canadians walking about..... :wacko: ......LOL

why bother with the passport unless u are flying to the u.s or going to a carribean country that needs it?

if you are driving all you need is the new drivers license, they actually look dorky and kind of counterfeit IMO

This is TRUE if you have a NEW YORK STATE ENHANCED Driver's License (EDL). I have not hear anything that the US Federal Government has accepted anything like this from Ontario or any other Canadian Provence. So if you are Canadian or any other foreigner you MUST have a passport to cross the border by any means starting JUNE 1st, 2009. SORRY, I agree it all Bull..... The Mexicans are running right over EVERYDAY and most are not sent back but I need a passport or EDL to gain access BACK into my own country. LOL

its a whole other world other there as soon as you cross over that line, i would care less if they cut us off from going over there for good.

Ok!, this struck me as pretty fracking funny!!! :w00t:

You'd think that being from the Deep South I'd experience more of a culture shock than anyone crossing the border, but the only thing I really notice is that your money is different, y'all talk kinda funny, and there's "Paris talk" all over the place.

Just wear your steel belted underwear when you cross the border Pike Slayer, you'll be ok!

.. unless you come to the Deep South... then we have a chainfall, a pair of fuzzy handcuffs, a cutting torch, and a 5 gallon bucket of white lithium grease with your name on them!!! ;)

Edited by GCD

Guest skeeter99
This is TRUE if you have a NEW YORK STATE ENHANCED Driver's License (EDL). I have not hear anything that the US Federal Government has accepted anything like this from Ontario or any other Canadian Provence. So if you are Canadian or any other foreigner you MUST have a passport to cross the border by any means starting JUNE 1st, 2009. SORRY, I agree it all Bull..... The Mexicans are running right over EVERYDAY and most are not sent back but I need a passport or EDL to gain access BACK into my own country. LOL

yes the U.S. border accepts these new enhanced licenses from ontario and canada that was the idea behind so you would not have to spend the money on a passport for land travel only

we can thank harper for something LOL!!!

Guest skeeter99

here is a link to a article to introduce the ontario enhanced license from the american motor association

http://www.aamva.org/Publications/TWiR/200...ndPhotoCard.htm

Guest skeeter99
The drivers license passport thing is a long ways away. I travel to the US about once a month and I still don't have a passport. Better get moving here.

dont think so

i go over 3 to 5 times a month and the U.S. guards know about the new licenses and even one commented on them

almost eryone I know has the new license at work friends etc..

Guest skeeter99
The enhanced drivers license are only good for ground and sea travel to and from the U.S.,Canada, Mexico, and Caribbean!!

They're NOT valid for air travel, or travel outside of north america and the Caribbean!!!

thanks coach

glad to see you can read this early in the morning never said they were good for air travel

dont think so

i go over 3 to 5 times a month and the U.S. guards know about the new licenses and even one commented on them

almost eryone I know has the new license at work friends etc..

I read about the new drivers license/passport proposal for the first time in the newspaper just a week or so ago. And they're out already? And you have one? Your current drivers license will let you across the border, but it is not a passport. Read the article that you linked to. It's just a proposal at this time. You're current drivers license is NOT a passport at this time, and never will be.

I'm not sure about Canada Dan, but the U.S. does have the enhanced drivers license and passport card... like I mentioned earlier, these aren't good for air travel... or travel outside the U.S., Canada, Mexico, or Caribbean islands. I only know this because I just recently applied for and recieved my U.S. Passport book, I opted for the book because I sometimes fly into Canada.

Right now is a good time to submit an application, as the deadline draws nearer the crunch/backup will surely rear it's ugly head again!

When I applied for mine at the beginning of February the lady said it would take about a month, I had my passport book in my hot little hand in 10 days!

You're current drivers license is NOT a passport at this time, and never will be.

I agree. Unless there's a place for various border patrols to physically put the endorsements and visas stamps, a DL will never be equivalent to a passport. There will always be remote entry points somewhere in the world that do not have computer access for any kind of electronic marking.

I travel into the states daily (for work) and a passport is a must. It is also required for my work visa. The border crossing i use does recognize the enhanced licence but will not except it in my case, it must be a passport since i'm working and not travelling for recreation.

I have a way to settle this whole thing...

You Canucks stay on your side and us Yankees will stay on our side. Then we can cast Michigan crickets at each other over the Niagara River. If you can snag someone from the other side and land him, he can stay and visit for a while. :P ...LOL NO passports required, just like catching a fish..... :lol:

I'm not sure about Canada Dan, but the U.S. does have the enhanced drivers license and passport card... like I mentioned earlier, these aren't good for air travel... or travel outside the U.S., Canada, Mexico, or Caribbean islands. I only know this because I just recently applied for and recieved my U.S. Passport book, I opted for the book because I sometimes fly into Canada.

Right now is a good time to submit an application, as the deadline draws nearer the crunch/backup will surely rear it's ugly head again!

When I applied for mine at the beginning of February the lady said it would take about a month, I had my passport book in my hot little hand in 10 days!

Government of Saskatchewan decided against the so called enhanced driver license. WHY? Because a Passport is cheaper and more versatile

Government of Saskatchewan decided against the so called enhanced driver license. WHY? Because a Passport is cheaper and more versatile

There's no point in creating a brand new system when there is already a universally accepted system in place.

I live in a border town and I have mine. I snowmobile in Michigan a lot and it makes crossing easier.

I need to get my nexus as well for fishing.

We launch in Ontario and fish across the line in Michigan. A nexus card makes it easy when the coast guard wants to talk with you.

I don't want the drivers licence. I been hearing they can be hacked for identity theft.