11.5ft Aluminum Boat

MCTFisher9120

Now that we have our boat we need something to power it with, specifically a trolling motor. We are not looking at gas motors at this time. The three Bass Pro Shops Prowler trolling motors are what we are looking at but we do not know witch power is best for our boat as we are looking for this motor to be what gets us around the lake as we are not going to be trolling very much. On our 12ft rubber boat we had a 30lb Minn Kota on it and it pushed it along fine but this boat is a lot heavier. The 3 motors are a 30lb, 45lb, and a 55lbs of power. We think the 45 will do it but not sure if we should spend the extra cash and get the 55lb. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...p;currentpage=1

Also power for this motor, what kind of battery should we get, and what kind of charger can we get for the motor(Link please). Hope I can get some help on this one, keep in mind we still have that 30lb Minn Kota handy but again not sure if it will due for a all around boat motor.

Thanks for any input :D

Hey brother - I know you're most likely on a limited budget so a 30lb thrust motor will push your little tinny just fine.....

Put it this way, I've got a 30lb thrust minnkota bow mount on my 15 foot Jon Boat. The boat has a full floor, casting deck, rod locker, 2 full sized batteries, a full tank of gas and 20hp 4 stroke motor and the 30lber pushes me along with ease!

As far as speed is concerned, correct me if I'm wrong guys, but higher thrust doesn't exactly mean you'll go a whole lot faster, it just means you'll have more torque? Thus more thrust will more easily push around a heavier boat? I guess the higher thrust motor might be able to rip through those weeds on the bog a little easier? ........

I didn't read your post thoroughly enough - If I were you I'd give the minnkota you already have a shot before buying anything else. It'll probably do the trick - save your money and keep your eyes peeled for a good deal on a gas motor!

As far as batteries go any name-brand deep cycle battery you can get your hands on will be fine. I've used a few different brands and have had ZERO difference in results. For your charger, keep your eyes peeled for the AUTOMATIC charger from CT. They come on sale all the time, and it's nice to have the peace of mind knowing that it'll stop charging if you forget about it, and won't fry your battery.

Good luck on your purchase either way!

Cheers,

UF

Edited by The Urban Fisherman

I would think that the 30lb thrust would be plenty to move a boat under 12ft long. I assume you are planning to use it at conservation areas and smaller waters and don't plan to go out on any big lakes. In my Sportspal I always take two batteries and hook one up to my fishfinder. This way if my main battery gets weak I can swap it out with the other one like a reserve tank. Then I hook the weaker battery up to the fishfinder and keep fishing. I buy my batteries at medical supply stores (wheelchair and scooter deep cycle) then you don't pay tax on them.

Don't forget, you'll need an operators card or risk a fine if the CO's check you out.

I would get the most power you can afford. As it's your only mode of propulsion (other than paddles) you want to make sure you can get around if the weather turns nasty while you are out. I use Group 27 Nautilus Deep Cycle batteries from Canadian Tire (about $100 a piece).

There are plenty of chargers available and the purpose built marine ones are the best for the application. (MinnKota, Model MK110P) is a good choice. It's a 10 amp multi stage portable unit that will maintain your battery during the off season for $80 US. If you want to put a permanent unit in your boat the MK 110 has the same speck in a water proof case to be mounted in the boat for $120 US.

I have a 30 lb thrust bowmount on my 14 footer and it goes good enough for me. Mind you I only use the electric as my main motor on small lakes. What I find more annoying is that the slowest speed isn't slow enough!!!! Constantly having to just turn it on and off real quick to crawl along rather than having it on constant and just crawling, it goes too fast.

Try the 30lb out and if its not enough for you then maybe think about getting something else, but I think it'll be fine.

Edited by evster

I would stick to the 30lb Kota you already have. The boat is light and those Prowlers might be a little less efficient than the kota.

I'll second the Nautilus from CT but they have gone up in price, now they are $140 :glare: according to their site. Walmart has Energizers that are around $100. My buddy uses and they have been good for a few years now.

As far as a charger, if you are looking to save cash just get one that says it will charge deep cycle batteries. If you have some cash to spend, automatic is nice. CT puts them on sale once a month or so so keep an eye out for them.

Hey brother - I know you're most likely on a limited budget so a lb thrust motor will push your little tinny just fine.....

Put it this way, I've got a lb thrust minnkota bow mount on my 15 foot Jon Boat. The boat has a full floor, casting deck, rod locker, 2 full sized batteries, a full tank of gas and 20hp 4 stroke motor and the 30lber pushes me along with ease!

As far as speed is concerned, correct me if I'm wrong guys, but higher thrust doesn't exactly mean you'll go a whole lot faster, it just means you'll have more torque? Thus more thrust will more easily push around a heavier boat? I guess the higher thrust motor might be able to rip through those weeds on the bog a little easier? ........

I didn't read your post thoroughly enough - If I were you I'd give the minnkota you already have a shot before buying anything else. It'll probably do the trick - save your money and keep your eyes peeled for a good deal on a gas motor!

As far as batteries go any name-brand deep cycle battery you can get your hands on will be fine. I've used a few different brands and have had ZERO difference in results. For your charger, keep your eyes peeled for the AUTOMATIC charger from CT. They come on sale all the time, and it's nice to have the peace of mind knowing that it'll stop charging if you forget about it, and won't fry your battery.

Good luck on your purchase either way!

Cheers,

UF

Mike, more torque definitely means more speed. You might be OK with the 30 lb kota on calm days and on smaller lakes. It may not get you around on windy days. If you are on a tight budget, stick with what you have. If you feel you need more torque, you will have a better idea (and maybe a few more bucks in your pocket :whistling: ) of what you need to upgrade to.

Cheers.

for every 5lbs thrust it can push 100lbs. so figure what the weight of the boat is and what on average is going in it and thats the size you need. i got a 12footer to and i added me and a bud or 2, my 9.9 and my gear and im right on 30lb thrust so i got the 40lb thrust model just for a bit extra. my buddy matt has a 12footer to and he has a 30lb and it will push it just fine but it has alot less power then mine but it still does the trick.

Not sure where you got that 5lb thrust / 100 lbs of boat pike slayer. My 75lb thrust motorguide will pull my 2150 Baron at 4.7 MPH Probably 4000 lbs of boat/motor/fuel...if I leave some tackle at home! lol

MIke.. don't know about local to you...but when I was in CTC the other day they had three transom models of MinnKota's on for 1/2 price.

If I was you, I"d keep the 30lb minn kota, and buy an extra battery. Hook them up together, and you'll have more than enough power to fish all day long.

I use a 28lb motor guide on my little bush whacking speck trips with one battery, and I can troll along all day no problem in a 12 footer with 2 guys and gear. It will go 5MPH at full throttle. Its no hot rod, but it gets you from A to B......and back!

P5220019-3.jpg

Sinker

Agreed, your 30 lbs will be fine. If you get something bigger make sure you get the shorter shaft model. You don't want the tiller up around your ears.

Now I just have to add that a trolling motor is great and cheaper than a new outboard motor, but maybe consider a small outboard just the same. A new trolling motor and battery will cost you a minimum of $200 with a budget minded package closer to $300. For under $300 you can pick up any number of good running outboards under 6 hp. Go with something under 4 hp and you can get a built in fuel tank, which will save space. I have a few motors under 3 hp and they will go all day on a tank of fuel or about 4 hours WOT. A Johnson/Evinrude 1.5 - 3 hp would be ideal. Any year is fine as they are all bulletproof and parts are still available if you ever need them. JMO

Mike like most people have said this is a light boat I know I owned the exact same boat not too long ago.

I have a 46lbs of thrust Minnekota with a Maximiser.

Surprised nobody has told you to spend a little extra on a model with a maximiser your battery will last twice the time as a regular endura model.

Costco has a great deal more than you might want to spend 50lbs of thrust with maximiser for $399.00 believe me no need to bring 2 batteries for the day as long as you don't venture off too far.You might want to check out deep cycle batteries at costco also usually very good deals.

I think 36lbs of thrust would be a little better but Mike get one with the maximiser much more energy durable.

good luck can't wait to see your first fishing report in it.Becareful with this boat I flipped mine over 2 summers ago.

MTP

When I bought my 17 foot aluminum it came with a 36# thrust bow mount (minn-kota) easily enough power on calm to moderate days not good when it got windy. On a 12 footer a 30-36 should be fine, mine is sort of heavy, casting platform, wooden decks and a 35 merc hung on back.

One battery would last me most days, but I always carried two just for the trolling motor. Think I got my charger at wal-mart a 10 amp automatic. I also have an old shakespeare 30# stern mount I used on all electric lakes here no problems on aluminum boats up to 16 feet,