Ice fishing adventure

Marc Thorpe

This happened a couple of weeks back

I dont consider myself an ice fisherman, love reading the reports here. Always amazed at the distance some travel. I do some ice fishing every winter. A few weeks back we decided to set dates for warm weather ice. I have done a few days over the winter and the ice around Montreal was anywhere from 24 to 25 inches with some ice roads being as thick as 46 inches.

We left early morning and snowmobiled out on the ice because accesses points are pretty much done for the year given the operators have taken most ice shanties off.

Around 12 pm some friends of a guy we were fishing with decided to pack it in. As they got to the pressure crack that we crossed that morning, which is normal, pressure cracks occur throughout the winter around here.

the pressure crack had completely separated with a 6 foot separation!!!!The separation was 11 to 17 miles long approx by 3 miles wide. Basically we were set adrift on a giant ice sheet. We packed our stuff and when we scouted the pressure crack keeping a safe visible distance we noticed that within 30 minutes of us getting the call it separated even further to 25 feet. At this point we figured best be closer to the center of the sheet and saw we had 2 options, either we will wait till later when the ice sheet re-settles or call for assistance. We decide to call the coast guard, within 5 minutes they where on site with a hovercraft. Soon afterward s a Heli arrives, with a naval coast guard ship sitting in the channel also. We board the hovercraft and they brought us on safe ice attached to land. It was a unique experience; we often read these stories about lake Erie and other places. The size of the ice shelf that broke off has never been observed by anyone who was with the coast guard nor us. It basically caught everyone off guard.

I have always had great respect for ice and never ventured where it was un-secure.

If there is one thing I retain from yesterday is, even safe ice is not safe

While discussing with everyone on the ice as to what cause this,it became evident that the mild weather we had created allot of run off which was passing under the ice,given the ice is very rigid this year due to stable cold winter we experienced,the ice did not break close to shore but severed further out.the rising water cause the separation

A note of mention and appreciation to the help and assistance the entire crews of the coast guard that were on hand and safety rescue crews on shore (fireman, police, ambulance).

They did an outstanding job of taking care of the situation and seeing everyone was returned to safe ice

One thing for those that fish or boat on navigational waterways which have coast guard presence or auxiliaries,on your cell phones *16 is the calling number to link with coast guard.It may change in other regions,not sure

I would recommend you inform inquire about your regional number and have it handy on your cell phone memory

One day you may need it

The Canadian Coast Guard will provide your best assistance

Just to make things clear the coast guard was in the vicinity so they did not have send out assistance for us,they were working in the vicinity,far away from us but we could see them in the distance

Also this is the same Hovercraft Rick Mercer di a show on "The wabanaki"

Few years ago Me and Roy met up with the crew one evening as they were finishing their day,what great folks and friendly they were with us that day also.

I got to ride in it :)

The Wabinaki will be sent to retirement in the near future after serving The Coast Guard for a good many years

Here a couple of pics

peche_sur_glace_extreme_001.jpg

peche_sur_glace_extreme_008.jpg

Edited by marc thorpe

Hey TB,the ice actually came back together at 3 pm or so,so the guys with sleds and quads (3 of em) crossed over quickly as time was of the essence.

The rest of us 3 others were asked to board the hovercraft for safety

all the equipment was brought back safely

If we would have been ordered to leave it behind ,we would have

At one point ,it seemed as if the call for immediate evacuation was gonna be called but the crew on site wanted a bit more time to evaluate and see how the situation with the ice would transform itself

Luckily it went in our favor

Nothing but praise for the level headiness and experience of the crew and our ice fishing crew

we were safe but no one could predict what the ice was gonna do

my biggest advice *16 on your cell phones

rick mercer's show

Edited by marc thorpe

Guest gbfisher

Like a trip of that nature is gonna make ya an ice fisherman....... :rolleyes: I guess its probably the last time you're gonna want to be out on the ice.

SO......WHADYACATCH?....................... :lol:

Guest gbfisher
Pressure cracks exist on every large body of ice...ice expands or the water level changes...used to live on Lake Erie and the ice, even when 3ft thick, would crack and move.

I couldn't agree with you more Rick.

I'm also pretty sure Marc is aware of pressure cracks as well. As are most people who travel out on the ice.

Never can be to careful.

Don't go if ya don't know is what I always say and in both directions in and out.

Ropes, Radios, safety equipment is a must when ever you go out onto any ice.

:canadian:

Cracks were very solid in the morning and week leading up to our day

Twillight,lets just say I followed a similar training as the coast guard not 2 years ago.

I always get raked over the coals :D

Thats why I am like charcoal,nothing left to burn

well way,I aint into fishing those cracks :lol:

GB,I caught sun :lol:

I was up close to that hovercraft a few times...they're going to be putting her to rest, probably at the end of this season. Too bad, it's been very useful. I'm still awed by those things' power.

First may I say Kudo's to you Marc and all the members of the Coast Guard involved, great job on everyones part :worthy:

Thank you Marc for the post, just goes to show that if something goes wrong don't let pride or anything else get in the way. This is a perfect example of a situation that could have gone horribly wrong if not addressed appropriately. And my hat's off to all involved on taking the proper actions needed :clapping: