More Brownies

fishinfool

Ah jeez not this crap again...........

Okay, just assume there are NO Atlantics, because their survival in the lake is ABYSMAL.

I know I know, you have a friends uncle who once caught an Atlantic.....good for you. Really.

Can we just go a month of trout & salmonid fishing without somebody piping up "gee looks like an Atlantic"? Please?

Because it's not.

P.S. EVERY trout & salmon flake their scales off easy in the lake. Because they're growing. Fast. So they shed.

Ah jeez not this crap again...........

Okay, just assume there are NO Atlantics, because their survival in the lake is ABYSMAL.

I know I know, you have a friends uncle who once caught an Atlantic.....good for you. Really.

Can we just go a month of trout & salmonid fishing without somebody piping up "gee looks like an Atlantic"? Please?

Because it's not.

P.S. EVERY trout & salmon flake their scales off easy in the lake. Because they're growing. Fast. So they shed.

How about you take a pill??

Great catches FishinFool!

Those fish certainly look like browns to me...As for the debate on whether to stock Atlantics VS steelhead/pacific salmon, I thought they were trying to reintroduce them since the 80's (at least in Wilmot creek) with little to show for it.

I've also read that Atlantic salmon suffered from thiamine deficiencies when they feed mostly on a diet of smelt and alewife. Both smelt and alewife contain an enzyme which breaks down thiamine (vitamin B-1) which results in low reproductive success. Not sure what other baitfish there would be in Lake Ontario that Atlantics could eat.

Guest gbfisher

Atlanticish type looking fishy... :angel: Huh...3 spots on its gill plate....hmmm....white gums....hmmm.... :dunno:

fishlarge.jpg

Edited by gbfisher

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

restoring a native species is hardly a waste of resources.

thankfully these decisions aren't just made based on returns in terms of numbers or angling success

"Because it's not"...... :D Are you sure?..... :wacko:

I think Sinker has you and the fish pegged....lmao

Geeze.....I"m glad someone agrees :worthy:

I'd like to know the Key ID features that tell you that fish IS NOT an atlantic??? How can you be so sure?? Just curious..... :rolleyes:......please enlighten me.

Sinker :wallbash:

restoring a native species is hardly a waste of resources.

thankfully these decisions aren't just made based on returns in terms of numbers or angling success

So what is the purpose then? If returns and angling success are no factor what so ever then why are OUR tax dollars going towards a program thats whole purpose is to bring back a fish that was unable and has been unable to sustain its self for decadeds.???

Sounds like a feelgood news story if you ask me, money could be much better spent cleaning up the lake or stocking more successful sport fish.

Our stocking progam is dismal when compared to the US program. Thank god they spend money on more then just unsuccessful programs

Im not sure that's a good thing Sinker.... :)

But of course it is :lol:

If the atlantics are going to fly, we gotta work on our streams first. They won't reproduce without the proper habitat. I think that's where most of the money is going.......before we can improve habitat, we gotta make sure we know exactly whats causing problems, and fix them from the roots. This takes time and money. Give it time......it MIGHT work.

Sinker

I gotta get down there and give that a wirl.... They must crush your lure, those BROWNIES

Beauty fish fo sho .... I wish they stayed that pretty when they come in the rivers :glare:

Have you ever caught an atlantic? Ever had one in your hands? Ever released one into a trib around here? ............I thought so :wallbash:

Never fished the nuke either huh.........hmmmmm........you know everything eh :worthy:

again, the reason I think this should be shut down. The pissing contest can go on and on and on so what's the piont when the poster stated that all the fish were let go to swim another day? :dunno:

Edited by GBW

Sinker , did you even look at the pics I posted ? I agree that the head has an atlantic kinda shape but the tell tale sign that that fish is a brown is the section of the tale ahead of the fin....fat brownie tail. Look at my pics, ALL Atlantics are long and slender in the wrist with a slight fork in the tail.....some other guy was able to count to three....(spots on the gill plate) and that makes it an atlantic?......

My fish were all stocked, clipped fresh water Atlantics......look again. I have many more pics if you actually need more proof.

RR

Sinker , did you even look at the pics I posted ? I agree that the head has an atlantic kinda shape but the tell tale sign that that fish is a brown is the section of the tale ahead of the fin....fat brownie tail. Look at my pics, ALL Atlantics are long and slender in the wrist with a slight fork in the tail.....some other guy was able to count to three....(spots on the gill plate) and that makes it an atlantic?......

My fish were all stocked, clipped fresh water Atlantics......look again. I have many more pics if you actually need more proof.

RR

Yep, I looked at your pics a couple times. I would agree that those are atlantics. Those are some large rivers your fishing there though, where abouts did you catch them? :dunno: Lake O or tributaries?

The experts have spoken Sinker....guess ya gotta give.. :worthy: ... and stay on yer meds will ya!!!........... :D

I am no expert BUT the angler did say that all the fish went back so why let this go on? I swear it could have been a ____ but wasn't sure so I didn't post. It's ok, let it go the fish went on to fight another day...