More Brownies

fishinfool

That first pic looks like it might be an atlantic.

agreed, after just seeing them that size in the MNR tank at the Sportsman Show.

nice fish!

Edited by nomad

it's hard to tell from the picture. The mouth is longer than most atlantics but that's not always the giveaway to identify them. The same goes for tail forking, a lot of atlantics have fairly flat tails so it's not a reliable way to identify.

The sure way is inside the mouth which we can't see here

Since when does an atlantic have a forked tail?? Maybe as a parr, or smolt, but by the time they reach the lake, it might be slightly concaved, but not forked.......pretty much the same as a brown.

I dunno about that fish. For some reason, I still think its an atlantic . Maybe its the slenderness, and lack of spots on the gill plate that is throwing me off.......or maybe Im just looking too hard. It sure looks different from the other ones.......??

You didnt' happen to keep it did ya Newf? Then we would all know for sure........but I guess if you did, you wouldn't want to tell anyone huh? :)

Sinker

Atlantics got 3 spots on their gill plate usually, also got forked tails, and spots usually wont exceed below the lateral line, silver coloured scales that will flake off when handled, 8-12 anal rays, unspotted tail. Personally I think its a brown due to its colour, the spots below the lateral line, and its fairly squared tail but wont rule Atlantic out. I seen a small 12 inch fish today that also looked like an Atlantic but hope it wasn't. Most people are unaware/ prepared to handle a delicate fish like atlantics ( not this situation looks to be handled fairly well). Stocking seems to have some success now and allot more rivers are receiving stocking of atlantics now. I believe this time around they stocked a different strain that seems to be a bit more successful then the others stocked. were still a far distance from the finish line. If it continues to progress hopefully within a few years well have fishable runs.

Nice fish bud

Well, the flaking scales is what got my attention, then I noticed the 3 spots on the gill plate. I'm usually pretty good at IDing fish, but this is a tough one. The mouth could be a little far back, and the spots do go below the lateral line......so who knows......could go either way I guess. I know if I caught it, I'd be checking it out a little closer.

Sinker

100% a brown. The spots are spread well below the lateral line, more spots on that fish then on an atlantic. Different face then an atlantic.

The atlantic stocking pogram is a waste of money. They intend on spending another 5million dollars over the next 5 years!!

since may 2006 almost 1 million atlantics have been stocked on the canadian side. Last year was the best returns with not more then a handful returning. So whats the point? They are not stocked for eating and chinny's and coho's are a better sport fish anyways.

just my 2cents

That fish is a brown....I have attached some Atlantic pics for comparison. No tail pics but look at the "wrist" area leading to the tail. Atlantics have a very slender, longer wrist than the pudgy browns.....and the tail isn't really forked, but not square...kinda in between.

RR

atlantic.jpg

big_male_lantic.jpg

fat_atlantic.jpg

hen_atlantic.jpg

lantic.jpg

The atlantic stocking pogram is a waste of money. They intend on spending another 5million dollars over the next 5 years!!

since may 2006 almost 1 million atlantics have been stocked on the canadian side. Last year was the best returns with not more then a handful returning. So whats the point? They are not stocked for eating and chinny's and coho's are a better sport fish anyways.

just my 2cents

I couldn't agree more. Can you imagine the sport fishery we would have on our hands if they stocked 1 million steelhead? Or 1 million coho? I can guarantee the returns would amount to a lot more than 35 skinny fish.

The Atlantic salmon program is a complete and utter waste of resources on every level. They're the new splake.

Well....whatever :)

I've caught my fair share of atlantics too. Just never lake run fish. I just thought maybe that could have been an atlantic the way the scales were flaking off and lack of spots on the gill plate. I know fresh water atlantics look a lot different than saltwater run fish, so I was just hoping maybe it was an atlantic. They weren't fishing far from duffins creek, and its been stocked with them......so who knows.

You guys seem so sure its a brown, I still think it might be an atlantic myself.

I'm still on the fence with regards to stocking atlantics. I'm all for a self sustaining fishery, but the watersheds still need a lot of work in order for them to successfully reproduce. Its gonna take a few years to see results, so don't count it out yet.

S.