First Day of Spring Report - On Ice

Leecher

Today was my daughter's day off from school and I just couldn't pass the opportunity to go out fishing with her on this beautiful spring day :D She had asked that I take the day off so I booked it and the plan was to hit Lac Leamy for some fun!!!

Last time we were out, had some hot weather but today was -10C when we got up and not a cloud to be seen with a slight northern wind..... Perfect :D

Had to make a detour to get a dozen minnows and arrived at destination @ 9:00am.... walked around the lake to the east side and it was still frozen over, shore line did not show signs of weak ice B) B)

Walked on and drilled the first hole, got a tipup setup with dead minnow.... Didn't take long for the perch to take our offering.... was first to land this little wee one LOL

DSC01679.jpg

After that, drilled a second & third hole, got the tipups setup, my daughter noticed the first one going down.... runs to it, yanks on the line to set the hook and lands her biggest perch to date B) Here is the pic of her PB!!

Beauty!!!

DSC01681.jpg

Then line 2 goes down.... she runs to it and lands another!!

DSC01683.jpg

After that things got real quiet and started to drill additional holes for the jigging rod.... didn't get much action on it <_<

At around 2:00pm the action picked up and Melissa got busy.... Here's the ones that she managed to land!!

DSC01685.jpg

DSC01686.jpg

DSC01688.jpg

At this point, I was starting to get a complexion for not being able to set the hook on any of the strikes I was able to get :wallbash:

I did manage to land this one on the jigging rod

DSC01690.jpg

At 4:00pm called it a day and got stuck in traffic going back :wallbash:

All in all we caught 7 perch in 8 to 10 fow over a weed bed

and one of them was Melissa's PB :thumbsup_anim:

What a great time we had.... or should I say Melissa LOL

Going back tomorrow morning for a couple of hours

Hope you enjoy

Leechman

Good on ya for getting her out Jaques. I have a daughter about the same age (12).......she even has the same name.....LOL......I can't convince her that fishing is the best thing to do on her days off, but when we do get out, its always good quality father/daughter time. Priceless!!

Thanks for the report!

Sinker

Great getting out Jacque. But what are you going to do for a fishing partner when she "finds" boys....

He just has to set rules. The boy has got to be able to fish and hold his own against the daughter. IF not I just embarass him to death. It has been a great tactic for weeding out the weenies and hormone jockeys.

Great getting out Jacque. But what are you going to do for a fishing partner when she "finds" boys....

Thanks Wayne!!! Not worried about that so far but I know it's coming..... sooner or later LOL Will figure something out!

Good on ya for getting her out Jaques. I have a daughter about the same age (12).......she even has the same name.....LOL......I can't convince her that fishing is the best thing to do on her days off, but when we do get out, its always good quality father/daughter time. Priceless!!

Thanks for the report!

Sinker

Thanks Sinker!!! It's ironic that we both have daughters of the same name & age.... I bet she really enjoys going out fishing with you!!! I only convinced her of going out on ice til late season when the temps are above zero LOL Below.... no way LOL

Jacques thanks for the great report and pics and congrats to Melissa on her PB :worthy:

I know how you feel about getting out there with the kids fishing, it's the greatest feeling when they out do themselves and get a PB B)

Thanks smokin joe!!! I'm so proud of her!!

Good on you for getting out and sharing some fun with your girl
He just has to set rules. The boy has got to be able to fish and hold his own against the daughter. IF not I just embarass him to death. It has been a great tactic for weeding out the weenies and hormone jockeys.

Thanks Bruce!!! No rules set yet.... but I do remind her that her boyfriend's father must be a hunter and fisherman otherwise he doesn't get into the house LOL

Edited by Leechman

Oh man I hope my daughter still wants to come out with me in ten years! What's your secret dude? Great report man! NOTHING beats time out with your kids!

Thanks for the report!

Cheers,

UF

Thanks UF!!! I got Melissa hooked on fishing when she was only 4 years old and I'm sure your daughter will. Here's a pic of her "first" biggest bass she caught off the boat dock at my sister's cottage. She was using my ultra light 4' foot rod

MelissaFirstBass.jpg

From then on, she was hooked.... but to get her out on hard water is a different story LOL

Melissa is quite the fishergirl. :worthy: And just to give you a bit of insight on the boy thing......being a girl who likes to fish will get her loads of dates. haha

I almost had my 14 year old son tempted to come with me last summer....I had hooked a pike with HIS rod. But then the bugger hid the rod on me. Hoping to drag his little tush away from XBOX live this season for a round or two with mom.

Thanks for sharing your day with us Jacques. Sounds exactly like what I did last week. Took the day off and my son had the day off school. We had non-stop action on Simcoe bringing over 75 Perch!! Nice to see Melissa enjoys coming out with you fishing. Nothing but great bonding time for Dad and daughter.

I'm sure there is no better feeling than watching your kids get excited when they catch their first big fish. Nice to see you have captured it in that picture to share with all of us. I only wish I had done the same with my son's first big bass. Oh well, I guess I'll have to remember it in my mind.........

Cheers,

Tony

Super report Leechman. Nice to see you out with your daughter. Memories that will last a lifetime!

Joey

Thanks Joey!!! They are indeed :thumbsup_anim:

Very nice report and pics Jacques!!! :thumbsup_anim:

You can't beat quality fishing time with family! :Gonefishing:

Thanks Glen!!! You certainly can't beat it :thumbsup_anim:

Melissa is quite the fishergirl. :worthy: And just to give you a bit of insight on the boy thing......being a girl who likes to fish will get her loads of dates. haha

I almost had my 14 year old son tempted to come with me last summer....I had hooked a pike with HIS rod. But then the bugger hid the rod on me. Hoping to drag his little tush away from XBOX live this season for a round or two with mom.

Thanks twilight!!! She is quite good at it and she even told me to set the hook right away on more then a few occasions throughout the day LOL I have my own technique when the fish strikes and somehow hers was better LOL

About the dates.... I think the boyfriend better like fishing, be ready to go out a lot cause she just loves it!

Great report!

Thanks Mike The Bass Fisher!!!

Jacques, I think it was a good day for both of ya's, beauty report...

Thanks b2kptbo!!! Yes it was a good day out there

Thanks for sharing your day with us Jacques. Sounds exactly like what I did last week. Took the day off and my son had the day off school. We had non-stop action on Simcoe bringing over 75 Perch!! Nice to see Melissa enjoys coming out with you fishing. Nothing but great bonding time for Dad and daughter.

I'm sure there is no better feeling than watching your kids get excited when they catch their first big fish. Nice to see you have captured it in that picture to share with all of us. I only wish I had done the same with my son's first big bass. Oh well, I guess I'll have to remember it in my mind.........

Cheers,

Tony

Thanks Tony!!! I do remember your post and what a memorable day you guys had B)

Watching her land those perch was awesome and rewarding at the same time... just doesn't get any better than that!!

The pic of the bass was taken by my wife immediately after I could lip it and that one wasn't released... it was our guess for supper that night and Melissa enjoyed that very much.... she even talks about it to this date!!

Great for you Jacques, enjoy it. my daughter loved ice fishing until she turned 13. Then from one ice fishing season to the next that was it she was done.

Always a good spending father-daughter time.

Thanks Dan!!! I know what you mean.... now if I could only get her to come out when the temps are below zero that would be B)