Anyone own a Dodge Ram 1500? or have owned one?

Mattones

I was given a great deal on 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT, QUAD CAB, 4X4 5.7 Liter, 8 cyl. before i was given this deal on the truck I was about to buy a used 08 GMC Sierra for the same price. So now i'm stuck here thinking. For that price of the Sierra I could just buy a new Ram.

I googled the Ram 1500 and saw they are sort of horrible on gas..Maybe the worst? Is this true? Any info on the Rams would be great :mellow:

A few months ago I was wanting a Canyon but was told full size got better mpg and better on the engine. So i was better off going full size.

had a Hemi Rental last yr ,it is a pig on gas,hard on trannys as well,I had a similiar deal last spring found the GM I wanted it was at a Ford dealer,did the credit app online for the GM salesman called said I can get ya in the same equipped supercrew from Ford New for less ,so I got the Ford,fantastic truck

i own a dodge ram 1500 slt sport..20 inch rims..yes the truck is not great on gas..but none of the full size trucks are...i hit a deer last week with my truck and i have a rental truck ..its a sierra..the sierra is alot newer then my truck and drives nice..it burns the same amount of gas and one thing i know it does not have the horsepower of my ram..its a bit sluggish compared to my ram...plus i think that the ram looks way better then the sierra...the sierra still looks square like the trucks my dad drove in the 80s...also go new for the same price..this way you can break the truck in properly...i have never driven a ford, but i have driven many gm's...and this is the first dodge i have ever owned and i can tell you one thing..my ram has 220 000 kms and all i,ve had to replace was the belt, the brakes and the tires..so far so good....the gm's i've had always gave me problems.....and last but not least..all these trucks will be crap if you drive the crap out of them..if you take proper care of them... then you will get a great truck in return... hope this helped

I have a 2005 ram 5.7L hemi I get about 16MPG with a tonneau cover installed. about 14MPg without. Mine is older and doesn't have the MDS (shutting down 4cyl when city driving) so you could expect better mileage than I get. As long as your not heavy on the pedal from start up you should be fine.

jjcanoe

I have a '97 5.2 (the old 318) with over 250,000K. It's still runs like new. I would order heavy-duty brakes next time, the Bass boat is heavier than the boat I had when I bought it...Other than that it's been a good truck. I changed a water pump last year and a power steering pump about four years ago. I have an oil cooler and a transmission cooler because I am always towing...It has a huge gas tank and makes about 600 klm between fill ups. I think it works out to about 16 MPG empty and about 12 miles to the US gallon with the boat gassed and loaded, but it will haul it up any mountain in North America without complaining.

The 5.7 (the old 383) sounds like the Hemi to me. If so, I believe it is, or can be, set up to run on 4 cylinders when not under load. The gas mileage should be okay if your not on the loud pedal all the time.

2009's have an option of storage boxes in the box side rails on some models. I liked the idea of being able to store rods out of sight...

The Fords and Chevy's are more popular and bring more at trade-in, but I will have mine until the wheels fall off so I'm not concerned.

I've had them all, ford,chev and now dodge. In my opinion the dodge is the better truck, I love mine. It is a regular cab 4.7 litre V8 (not hemi) 4x4 and it has 137000 km on it

I get 20 - 22 mpg on the highway and 17 -19 around town. (little less in the winter due to warm up time). it is a solid truck and it rides great up here in the rough highway capital of ontario.

so far i've replaced the tires, brakes, a/c compressor and water pump.

if you choose the ram, i don't think you will be disappointed.

I noticed this summer on the logging roads the dodges back end jumps around like mad and goes all over the road. I noticed ford seemed to be the better truck on those roads, followed by gm and then chevy. Dodge also seemed a bit worse on gas compared to the other two. Dodge does make a serious looking truck though.

I've had 2 dodge rams, and drove another for work. They are the only trucks that didn't cause me any grief at all. Biggest issue I had with the rams was a water pump in one of them. Other than that, regualar maintenance.

Go Mopar!

Sinker

What engine in the sierra 5.3?

Is it the new Dodge Ram with the storage in the rear fenderwells? Does it have the new 5.7 390 hp ish? IF it is that one then it is a no brainer. Get the new Dodge. It has won every head to head with the new ford and GM.

Man oh Man

I smell that the price of gas is going up like never before at the pumps. Are those big huge Gas guzzlers really worth it. Greed is here to stay. So expect over $2 a litre gas at 90 dollars a barrel, that's what we are heading for. We are 20 cents more than yourselves, but you know Ontario pumps smell the difference.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I currently drive a dodge 1500. not a bad truck. not good on gas in the city. but if you can manage your speed at no more than 110 it seems to be great on the highway. Through various employments with the gov't i've used a bunch of domestic trucks. Fords, Dodge, and Chev. So far my favourite has been driving a 2006 chevy silverados hands down.

That said, the other day I drove my father in laws 'yota full size from Sault Ste. Marie up to White River then to Kapuskasing and it was a dream to drive on the highway. Simply amazing handling and burned less gas than my dodge would have for sure.

here are the specs on the truck. Pretty Basic, Its te 09 Model so I guess they must have the extra Storage? I am checking it out tomorrow. I have a semi heavy foot which I'v been trying to shake off. haha How much would you say it costs to fill up on a regular day? I tend to never let my tank get past half.

Air Conditioning, AM-FM Stereo, Compact Disc, Power Windows, Power Seats, Bench Seat, Alarm, Intermittent Wipers, Cruise Control, Drivers Air Bag ,Anti-Lock Brakes, Anti-Theft, Keyless Entry, Power Steering, Rear Defroster, Side Impact Air Bag, Power Mirrors, Heated Mirrors, Alloy Wheels. Fog Lights, Tow Package

Man oh Man

So expect over $2 a litre gas at 90 dollars a barrel, that's what we are heading for.

the price per barrel would need to be much higher than $90 to bring on $2/liter prices at the pumps. last time we were over $90/barrel gas was only $1.40.

ive been thinking about getting a truck for the last couple years but i think ill get a new dodge with the mds next spring once the house is paid off....unless toyota comes out with something like the mds :D

I've been going back and forth between Ram 1500s and Dakotas since the early 90s and haven't had a bad one yet, lots and lots of miles towing. The last Hemi I had was an 05 which was much better on fuel than the 03, and I would think the newer ones 06 and up with MDS would even be better. I currently have a Dakota 4x4 with a 3.7 six cylinder, month to month it uses about $80 to $100 less on fuel but it's a lot less truck, back to a Ram with a Hemi when I'm ready to deal again, I think the extra in fuel is worth the extra comfort, not to mention all that intoxicating POWER!

If you are set on North American...take a look at the new F150. Consumer Reports ranked it highest. My Dad was a die hard Ram guy but his last Ram was trouble.

Also with the media noise about Chrysler pulling out of Canada I could not in good conscience suport them. At least Ford is trying hard.