Tough Day on the Tribs...

ccmtcanada

Well, it's been a long time since Bly and I have been out fishing...and since I had the day off, and a babysitter, we decided to head out this morning. We were a little nervous of our first choice, because of waters that are slow moving and the -12C temps last night. We didn't leave the house until about 815am....later than we probably should have, but oh well...

Sure enough, the first spot was mostly all frozen over, with a small 10 foot wide section available to drift...only about 100 feet long. Problem was, there were about 8 guys drifting in that spot...so back in the car for plan B.

Plan B didn't turn out so well either...the waters had only about 2" of visibility but we tried it for a while anyways. After about 45 minutes of no action whatsoever, and absolutely nothing caught by anyone we talked to around us, we packed up again and came up with plan C.

We arrived at location 3 to near perfect water conditions...green tinged waters with about 8" of visibility! Problem was because it was now so late in the morning, it was packed! All our favourite spots were taken, so we headed to a spot that we don't generally do all that well at...apparently no one else does either, because it was void of any anglers...LOL.

About 15 minutes drifting this section and my float goes down. I set the hook and feel what I think is a snag...and then there is nothing there. Then I see that my line is too slack....wayyyyy too slack, so I started reeling like a madman...knowing that a fish was swimming directly at me! This little guy jumped a few times, trying to escape, but to no avail.

So, here it is...my first fish of 2009...this scrappy little steelie....and a first entry for team inTENsity!

21inchsteelie.jpg

We packed it in shortly after that, and were home for 1pm...the season has just started...cant wait to get out there again!

Leech - Plan D...we did actually...but by the time we discussed it, hunger took over and we headed home for lunch. We spent more time driving from place to place than we did actually fishing I think!

GCD - Our entry board is just fine...was already cluttered with a Lake Trout...LOL

Edited by ccmt

Leech - Plan D...we did actually...but by the time we discussed it, hunger took over and we headed home for lunch. We spent more time driving from place to place than we did actually fishing I think!

Cliff next time don't discuss Plan D..... go for Plan E and bring some sandwiches along so that you don't have to go back home early ;):lol:

Again great job you guys!!

Cliff next time don't discuss Plan D..... go for Plan E and bring some sandwiches along so that you don't have to go back home early ;):lol:

Again great job you guys!!

Nice fishy Cliff I don't understand you could have had lunch cause your lunch box is stuck to you chest :lol:

Nice fishy Cliff I don't understand you could have had lunch cause your lunch box is stuck to you chest :lol:

The lunch box stuck on my chest is food for the fish...not me... :lol:

When are you getting out here Mike? Steelhead fishing is just beginning...I stop fishing for them at the trout opener...so get out here soon and I'll do my darndest to get you into a few. I'm no solopaddler as far as guiding is concerned...but I can catch a few fish by myself at times...lol.

nice going on the fish, and the adventure as well, You toughed it out and got rewarded :Gonefishing:

Next time let Bly show you how it's done with a nice 30 inch-10lber for TEAM#1 :thumbsup_anim:

Steelhead season is just beginning...she has plenty of time to kick my butt all over the tribs!!! LOL

Good stuff, guys :)

That's a gorgeous, healthy looking fish. I always prefer our wild, self-sustaining fish over the stocked cookie-cutters of our brethren to the south. They are stronger, faster and more attractive.

I don't think 8:15am was too late for this time of year, for the weather conditions. Most likely, you missed out on 2 hours of freezing your tush off, for the steep cost of extra sleep in a warm bed... not a bad deal, really ;). When it's as cold as it was last night, the fish often don't turn on until the sun has warmed the water a bit anyway.

Allow me to propagate the good luck : as Bly wished me earlier, I predict that this is the first of many that you'll get in 2009. B)

Hold onto your seat! And your rod!

:D

p.-

Nice guys!

Ill be home next weekend, maybe we can get a drift in.

I have a new spot, and it has treated me very well!

You let me know when and where Kemper! Been wanting to ask you about that new spot...but if you're going to show it to me then all the better...LOL.