Whities Hunt - Part 3 - Outaouais

Leecher

Well guys,

Today the plan was for the 3 amigos, Whitespinnerbait, 24-7 and I to hit one of our local lakes and see if we could get into some whitie action. Up at 6:00am, temperature was -1C with a light breeze from the West. Paul and I left home at 7:00am to pickup Kevin..... made a pit stop at Timmies for some hot refreshments and the way we go.

As we were driving up there, along the highway, I noticed the tree tops were moving from side to side. To our surprise, the light breeze from the West was intensifying :w00t:

Got to destination at around 8:45am and proceeded to our favorite spot, the south end of the lake. At this point the wind was gusting and don't know at what speed but we could sure feel the windshield factor :w00t: No snow on the ice surface but many slush holes which made driving a little unnerving.

After punching the first hole, measured it for thickness and had a good 18" of black ice :) Got our gear out, tied on a Foxee jig and tipped it with Gulp fish fry. Did not take long before Kevin hooks into his first.... here's the pic

Kevinfirst.jpg

Then it was my turn to hook into one but for unknown reasons it got itself off the hook while I was reeling it in :wallbash:

After that we did move to a few other spots but the wind was so cold and gusting that we ended up going back to our original spot. And what do you know.... not soon had we arrived and setup, Kevin get's another hit and hooks into his second.... Here's the pic

Kevinsecond.jpg

After that Kevin got few hits and misses and at around 2:30pm call it a day.

Here's another pic of Kevin with his 2 catches

Kevin2.jpg

Got home around 4:00pm and this would be our final outing on this lake this hard water season..... next time is going to be on softwater this coming spring for trout opener :thumbsup_anim:

All in all we caught 2 whities and missed some... what a great way to end the season!!

Thanks Paul and Kevin for a great time today :Gonefishing::canadian:

Hope you enjoy

Leechman

Very nice report and pics Jacques!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim::canadian:

That Kevin boy has those Whitefish dialed in!!! :clapping: ... it looks like the only one that can beat him is Stephanie! :w00t:

Did Kevin at least let you hold his fish or something??? ;) ... yanno, so you and Paul could remember what one feels and smells like!

Why no more trips to that lake?... does it close soon or something?

Very nice report and pics Jacques!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim::canadian:

That Kevin boy has those Whitefish dialed in!!! :clapping: ... it looks like the only one that can beat him is Stephanie! :w00t:

Did Kevin at least let you hold his fish or something??? ;) ... yanno, so you and Paul could remember what one feels and smells like!

Why no more trips to that lake?... does it close soon or something?

Thanks Glen... Yeah I know :rolleyes: But what can I say..... he's a good fisherman :thumbsup_anim:

The closest I've been to it is when I took the pic and that's ok.... I think I still remember what it feels and smells LOL

The season ends March 31st but the ice on the shorelines is showing signs of wear and tear and don't want to take another chance at driving onto it. From the launch area to our spot, would be quite a trek and also the fact that it's a 260Kms trip out and back. For those reasons this was our last trip out to this lake. :(

You guys get some good sized whities out of that lake, that's for sure.

I'm also curious to why it's your last trip??

Sinker

Thanks Sinker... yes the ones we manage to catch, are quality ones in size for sure. First time trying this year for those and can say that it's a blast when you can hook and land one :thumbsup_anim:

When we left the ice and started our drive down the dirt road, the amigos and I talked about this and let's just say we had a gut feeling and that it was our last for this hard water season. Also for the reasons mentioned above.

yeah i got lucky that day.....

i had drilled holes 2 day befor that outting and the holes were not even frozen! :w00t:

i took some of my old holes and those were the ones that produced....AGAIN!

im thinking that that whole erea is a hot spot!

it goes from 15 FOW to 40 -50 ish FOW!

MAN are those white fish ever active and fast tho!

i thought they were a lazy fish ........ but iv seen themn on the fish t.v. over view style!

THEY STORM!

thanx for the great replies guys!

24/7

Good stuff guys. :thumbsup_anim: I'm hoping to soon be hauling whities over the boat gunnel. Come on global warming. :D

Thanks Spiel :thumbsup_anim: softwater soon my friend!!

Good report, couple nice one's for Kevin. Yes it's best to play it safe with the ice conditions, 4sure...

Thanks b2kptbo.... never can be too careful.

Those are 2 fine looking whitefish.

Thanks Bruce :thumbsup_anim:

Awesome way to round out the season...those are some big fat whities!! Now that internet access is verboten at work, I'm not getting on here nearly enough!!! It's reports like this that I'm missing! :D Thanks for sharing....

Awesome way to round out the season...those are some big fat whities!! Now that internet access is verboten at work, I'm not getting on here nearly enough!!! It's reports like this that I'm missing! :D Thanks for sharing....

Thanks johnnyb :thumbsup_anim: Just might be able to squeeze another one this weekend at a lake that's much closer and smaller..... need some eyes for a fry ;)

Very nice Jacques. Too bad your ice fishing season is over, but you've had a great year. Congrats!!

Thanks Ben :thumbsup_anim: It's over for that lake and enjoyed targetting whities :D They can put up a good tussle. Like I said to johnnyb.... might just squeeze another this weekend

what color and size of Foxee jig? How was he fishing it?

jat, here's a pic of the jigs we were using.... I was using the 1/4oz blue and silver, tipped with white fish fry and Kevin the 1/4oz glow, tipped with chartreuse fry as shown in the pic below

IMGP1786.jpg

The technique he and I used was to let the jig fall to the bottom, pickup the slack, raise the rod tip a foot and let it fall to the bottom.... we do this 5-6 times then jerk the tip of the rod, making the jig bounce / thump of bottom 5-6 times and repeat the cycle.

We would mix it up.... jig thump jig thump jig.... thump thump thump....and most often when jerking the tip end of the rod would trigger a strike. Gulp fish fry is key ingredient in our presentation, it really works. It's good for other species like perch, crappie, walleyes.... etc

Hope this helps

Leechman