De-Virginized My Net

solopaddler

I finally managed to get out on Thursday with a couple of friends for some chrome.

The uber mild weather from a couple weeks back had opened up all the rivers completely.

Subsequent cold weather caused the lower ends of the trib's to re-freeze, but the upper reaches of the creeks were still flowing (although shelf ice was a bit of a problem).

Bill and Ferg hoofed it upstream and left me to my own devices contemplating a small deep slot that looked kind of interesting.

Standing knee deep in front of an ice shelf and dodging mini icebergs, some large enough to knock you off your feet, made things interesting.

I managed to subdue a good number of fish all from this one small slot without another soul in sight. :)

None of which would have been landed without the net, with the fast moving water and shelf ice it would have been next to impossible alone.

Here's a couple of the better pic's:

ElkFeb26-2009001.jpg

ElkFeb26-2009005.jpg

ElkFeb26-2009006.jpg

ElkFeb26-2009008.jpg

After meeting up with the lads it was decided we'd make a move to another river. Ferg had managed a couple of scruffy looking hens upstream, Bill drew a blank.

The pressure was on as Billy was really wanting to break in his fancy new reel. :)

Amazingly the lower reaches of the next river was partially open, although a huge thick ice shelf extended out from the side I normally fish on.

Ferg and Bill found a place to wade over and worked there way down to the sweet spot standing with their backs against a wall of jumbled rock.

I hung back and watched...

Almost immediately the boys were into fish. They both hooked a good number (not sure exactly how many?), lucky to find a pod of unmolested fish.

Bill was pretty happy! :)

Here's a couple of long range pic's from my side of the river:

ElkFeb26-2009012.jpg

ElkFeb26-2009011.jpg

I just didn't feel like wading over, but still couldn't resist casting beyond the ice shelf.

First drift a mint chrome fish clobbered my bait and started running amok.

It took multiple attempts and at least 15 minutes of give and take, but I finally managed to get his head over the ice shelf and surf him over to me.

That was kinda fun, I figured I deserved a medal for that one LOL!

It was getting late and time to go so the guys finally packed it in. Not an easy thing to do when you're walking away from a bunch of hot fish that you've got all to yourself!

Not a bad day at all for this time of year, and things will only get better. :)

Cheers, Mike

Great report and pics Mike :thumbsup_anim:

Those are real nice looking chrome you guys got into.... congratulations :clapping:

Up here, were back in the deep freeze.... -20C without the windshield :w00t:

Great job you guys!! Well done!

Thanks for sharing

Jacques

Edited by Leechman

Mikey

You left out the most important part of the report.

Lets have a review of the new stick. please-please-boy-sad-smiley-emotic.gif

Oh yeah, nice chromers!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Yes, the new stick: 13' 2pc Rainshadow XST.

It's amazing, incredibly light, softish tip, but tons of power in the butt.

All the fish I landed I didn't follow, so basically I had to stand on them and work them upstream against the rushing current. I was impressed.

Ferg was so impressed he wants to sell his IMX now LOL!

One of the nicer rods cosmetically and action wise I've fished.

sweet .... I new this report was coming after the temps we had Thurs & Fri

LOL I would of love to see the maneuvering you went through to pull that fish across that shelf.... As if the game isn't hard enough, leave it to Mike to make it even more of a challenge... Only you dude :rolleyes:

Edited by JDMLS

Yes, the new stick: 13' 2pc Rainshadow XST.

It's amazing, incredibly light, softish tip, but tons of power in the butt.

All the fish I landed I didn't follow, so basically I had to stand on them and work them upstream against the rushing current. I was impressed.

Ferg was so impressed he wants to sell his IMX now LOL!

One of the nicer rods cosmetically and action wise I've fished.

Mike

Great report, but please more deatils on the Rainshadow :dunno:

Where available?

Blank only?

TIA

Jose

Mike

Great report, but please more deatils on the Rainshadow :dunno:

Where available?

Blank only?

TIA

Jose

Yes, blank only. I ordered mine online from Schoff Tackle in the States back in December.

There are some sources here in Ont although you'd have to wait a bit longer to get the blank.

I know Cliff Plummer in the Niagara region builds Rainshadow rods, he'd be a source.

Also Ernie up in Owen Sound.

There's also a distributor in S/W Ont, Jay's Fly Shop (I think?). In any case Batson could confirm that...

Yes, blank only. I ordered mine online from Schoff Tackle in the States back in December.

There are some sources here in Ont although you'd have to wait a bit longer to get the blank.

I know Cliff Plummer in the Niagara region builds Rainshadow rods, he'd be a source.

Also Ernie up in Owen Sound.

There's also a distributor in S/W Ont, Jay's Fly Shop (I think?). In any case Batson could confirm that...

Mike\Dave

I will try to contact Cliff on the Niagara site

Thanks

Jose

That last pool was a nice relief, I just wanted to get that skunk off my back. I can't believe I didn't pick one up in the other hole about 20mins beforehand... We were hooking up pretty much every drift, I think we pulled out 6 or 7 fish..I know Ferg and I had a few double headers, then you chimed in and made it a triple!! lol I still dunno how you got that fish up the ice shelf. :)

I am really looking forward to fishing the first spot we got the truck all dirty at :) Talk about picturesque.....

Ferg was nice enough to grab a quick pic of the devirginizing of my reel..

img3.jpg

Edited by BillM

That last pool was a nice relief, I just wanted to get that skunk off my back. I can't believe I didn't pick one up in the other hole about 20mins beforehand... We were hooking up pretty much every drift, I think we pulled out 6 or 7 fish..I know Ferg and I had a few double headers, then you chimed in and made it a triple!! lol I still dunno how you got that fish up the ice shelf. :)

I am really looking forward to fishing the first spot we got the truck all dirty at :) Talk about picturesque.....

Ferg was nice enough to grab a quick pic of the devirginizing of my reel..

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii307/m...ishing/img3.jpg

Good job Bill for getting that skunk off and great looking chrome to boot :thumbsup_anim::clapping:

Nice report! Good job on braving the elements. I've never been too fond of sub-zero steel heading, myself.

It was about 5-6 degrees all day, only cooled down near the end.

Definitely not a bad day to be hiking for some steel.

you could have just taken a bunch of pitures of that net empty and still get compliments but it looks great with all them beauties in it, i hadnt realized how deep the net itslef was back when you had originally posted the pics,

great report and congrats on getting some slime on the mesh!

Matt!

img3.jpg

Right on bro nice fish, didn't realize you had any pic's!

And yeah, you've got a treat in store for you when that water's fishable.

On a side note you were right about my muffler noise. (We put my truck in 4WD and drove into a huge mud hole with it. Afterwards it was making some unseemly noises...)

It was the mud like you suggested. After spraying it off she's fine now. :)

On a side note you were right about my muffler noise. (We put my truck in 4WD and drove into a huge mud hole with it. Afterwards it was making some unseemly noises...)

It was the mud like you suggested. After spraying it off she's fine now. :)

Ah, that's good to hear Mike, mud on the driveshafts and suspension bits can have some weird effects.

nice fishin guys....great looking chrome, and way to put that custom net to use as well :Gonefishing:

I can attest to the Rainshadow blanks/rods...I have seen a big variety of them in action from my 7 footer Med action I got Cliff to build me for a new boat rod this year..to 11.6 bottom bouncing rods...right up to 13 to 15 footer 2 and 3 pieces..they are all great rods...light,sensative, lots of backbone as well....and they come with a warranty as well.

They have a great variety of blanks.

Looks like you guys did your homework, and got out at the right time for the weather and waters to cooperate a bit for you on the mission :)