Who won the war of 1812?

Greencoachdog

NO ONE WON ..lol ahhhhhh!!! ya guys should stick to fishing lol and it really wasnt much of a war when you compare it to what we call war now .

After two years of warfare, the major causes of the war had disappeared. Neither side had any reason to continue or any chance of gaining a decisive success which would compel their opponents to cede territory or advantageous peace terms. As a result of this stalemate, the two nations(Briton and US) signed the Treaty of Ghent on 24 December 1814. I think becase of no cell phones or internet back than it took a few months for the americans to get the news of the treaty signing , so the fighting continued and the americans won a major victory at the battle of New Orleans but that occured after the treaty was signed so it dont count , NO ONE REALLY WON no reason to continue

Edited by capt bruce

... and we don't like Maple syrup that much anyway. ;)

Hey Glen, I betcha you'd like this Maple Syrup from Quebec.....I buy a few bottles everytime I head over there :canadian:

MapleWhiskey.jpg

images.jpg

Sortilège

Maple syrup liqueur

Canada

The liqueur produced by this blend of maple syrup and rye whisky has an unusual, delicate taste... :thumbsup_anim::whistling::canadian:

Didn't "The White House" get burned to the ground in the war of 1812?

That was in retaliation for burning down York (Toronto)

As for who won? It was a draw.

The United States failed in its objective of invading and conquering Canada.

The British failed in its efforts to impose its mastery of the seas, and its rules, on American seafaring and commerce.

The Battle of New Orleans was an accident that occurred after the war was over.

Thank you Big , A guy with the name BRUCE must know his history lol

The war was ended by the Treaty of Ghent, signed on December 24, 1814 and taking effect February 18, 1815. The terms stated that fighting between the United States and Britain would cease, all conquered territory was to be returned to the prewar claimant, the Americans were to gain fishing rights in the Gulf of Saint Lawrence, and that both the United States and Britain agreed to recognize the prewar boundary between Canada and the United States.

The Treaty of Ghent, which was promptly ratified by the Senate in 1815, ignored the grievances that led to war. Britain made no concessions concerning impressment, blockades, or other maritime differences; the treaty proved to be merely an expedient to end the fighting. Mobile and parts of western Florida remained permanently in American possession, despite objections by Spain, and Britain was unwilling to enforce treaty provisions regarding their claim to the territories.Thus, the war ended in a stalemate with no gain for either side.So the only loser, if ya want to call it that was Spain , because the US didnt return their territory as promised (guess the had their fingers crossed or some such thing)and Brition didnt care enough to make them live up to the treaty provisions .

Edited by capt bruce

Hey Glen, I betcha you'd like this Maple Syrup from Quebec.....I buy a few bottles everytime I head over there :canadian:

MapleWhiskey.jpg

images.jpg

Sortilège

Maple syrup liqueur

Canada

The liqueur produced by this blend of maple syrup and rye whisky has an unusual, delicate taste... :thumbsup_anim::whistling::canadian:

Could you email me a sip of that Steve? :canadian:

I do like those Maple Nut Goody candies!... I can't eat just one without eating the whole bag... or making myself sick on them.

I forgot that the Americans burned down York (Toronto). I would say thank you except they didn't do a very good job as it is still there. :w00t:

As to the battle of New Orleans song by Johnny Horton. When I was a teenager we used to sing it with great relish. I guess popular culture beats reality hands down.

Hammer the song got it basically right , the Americans did kick some British ass that battle .

"We fired our guns and the British kept acomeing"

We fired once more and they began to running"

All down the mississippi to the gulf of Mexico"

or something like that

Hammer the song got it basically right , the Americans did kick some British ass that battle .

"We fired our guns and the British kept acomeing"

We fired once more and they began to running"

All down the mississippi to the gulf of Mexico"

or something like that

I know the words. You missed the point. We were the British then.

We actually gave it back to the British when we let them retake their cannon... we just wanted to show them we could do it if we wanted to... and they better behave!!!

We also let them retake their cannon because we felt kinda bad about kicking their :asshat: so severely in 1776...

... and we don't like Maple syrup that much anyway. ;)

I bet you also think you won the Vietnam War too eh?

Hammer it Was only one battle , and No Canadians fought in it , (me and mine were never British,not than not now lol we got all our teeth, French and Native)

British losses in the war were about 1,600 killed in action and 3,679 wounded; 3,321 British died from disease. American losses were 2,260 killed in action and 4,505 wounded. While the number of Americans who died from disease is not known, it is estimated to have been about 17,000. These figures do not include deaths among American or Canadian militia forces or losses among native tribes

Edited by capt bruce

This a cool exchange. Hammercarp, it's ok, some of us got it the first time. For Roy, you still have to talk slowly and loudly.

Here is the Wikipedia opinion, disputed for neutrality for some reason:

The majority of the inhabitants of Upper Canada (Ontario) were either exiles from the United States (United Empire Loyalists) or postwar immigrants. The Loyalists were hostile to union with the U.S., while the other settlers seem to have been uninterested. The Canadian colonies were thinly populated and only lightly defended by the British Army. Americans then believed that many in Upper Canada would rise up and greet a United States invading army as liberators, a now-discredited belief. The combination suggested an easy conquest, as former President Thomas Jefferson seemed to believe in 1812: "The acquisition of Canada this year, as far as the neighbourhood of Quebec, will be a mere matter of marching, and will give us the experience for the attack on Halifax, the next and final expulsion of England from the American continent."

Now that was an earlier skirmish, but this is a story about Canadian Pirates! Who knew?

We have some history, plenty really, but if that's not enough, we have TONS of geography.

Edited by douG

Now that was an earlier skirmish, but this is a story about Canadian Pirates! Who knew?

We have some history, plenty really, but if that's not enough, we have TONS of geography.

Nova Scotia's South shore has a rich history of privateering from the 1790's to the War of 1812. It's a part of the 'blue water heritage'.

History is one of my favorite subjects. I don't remember much of the war back then. Canadave and I were both mere school children. It IS interesting though.

I DO remember 1867 as it was one of Davids happiest years. He no longer had to carve out UpperCanadDave on all those trees for Cheryl.

Roy now we know. the battle of detroit there was a story. the americans saw a mad trapper yelling with a pink tutu on the canadian shore. thank you you saved canada. the truth finally came out.

Well Roy did look much taller when he was young......

Art