O/T Hats off to Canada

OhioFisherman

Actually he did a sort of bail out in the fall before our election.

What they did was buy up gov. insured loans from the banks saying they would be on the hook for them anyway, the banks were to help the gov. pay for them by selling GIC's to get the cash so the hole operation wasn't supposed to cost anything. The idea was to provide cash to the banks and free up some lending.

But I think our banks are using the money to buy your banks.

We in Canada have known that all along

but what we don't know is why our dollar is falling, when it should be one of the strongest

ok, oil would drag us down a bit

but really

I guess the exporters are loving it

I asked one of my economics profs that question, because it didn't make sense to me.

General answer is that Canada is a big exporter of energy (not just oil) and much of our trading is done with the U.S. Less demand for our energy means less demand for our dollar

I asked one of my economics profs that question, because it didn't make sense to me.

Hey Kemp, do any of your profs know anything about what's going on in "Port Hope" and more specifically on that newly built bridge?? :D

Hey Kemp, do any of your profs know anything about what's going on in "Port Hope" and more specifically on that newly built bridge?? :D

In fact they do...

New bridge was built last night amazingly. The no fishing sign was reposted in the CORRECT location but sadly is still ignored. Those condos just went up too, in the last week.

Amazing what modern technology can do isnt it.

I saw some of the tapes and thought he handled himself well.

I was actually as close to proud of one of politicians abroad as I have ever been.

Its the same sentiments here in Western Canada, but then again your in Conservative Territory. All Politics aside, I was too quite proud of how Harper Handled himself. Its too Bad that Susan Bonner of the CBC using their own Agenda decided that Harper was not proud to be Canadian making a big stink how Obama declared his love and Admiration for Canada. Fact is, if Harper would of said the exact same thing to the States, there would be an outcry for his head. Sad for a guy that's done a lot to try to calm down the Defeatists and Pessimists during this World Financial fiasco.

One Last thing. Its Called the OIL SANDS out here. TAR SANDS, is well you guess it, the environmentalists word for it. Sounds Dirtier

Peter Mansbridge says:

LET ME BRING IN SUSAN BONNER INTO THE CONVERSATION, AND SHE WAS IN THE ROOM AND THERE WAS AN AGREEMENT ON WHO WOULD ASK THE QUESTIONS AND JENNIFER DITCHBURN, FORMERLY OF OUR BUREAU AND SHE GOT TO ASK THE ENGLISH SIDE.

QUESTION: SUSAN, THE DYNAMIC IN THE ROOM, WHAT WAS YOUR SENSE OF IT ALL?

The following is the transcript from the clip:

Reporter: IT WAS INTERESTING, AS WE WERE LINED UP, PETER, TO GET OUT ALL THE REPORTERS WERE TALKING ABOUT THIS AND THE AGREEMENT AMONGST US REPORTERS AND, FORGIVE ME I HAVEN'T HEARD THE LAST FEW MOMENTS OF THE PROGRAMME AND SO I HOPE I'M NOT REPETITIVE, AND STEPHEN HARPER HAD A MESSAGE THAT HE WANTED TO DELIVER TO AMERICANS ABOUT THE BORDER AND ABOUT SECURITY. AND ABOUT TRADE. AND HE WAS, YOU KNOW, PUSHING THOSE MEDIA MESSAGES DIRECTLY TO TALK TO AN AMERICAN AUDIENCE. SO THAT WAS THE -- THOSE WERE THE MONEY COMMENTS FROM MY POINT OF VIEW AND FROM MY COLLEAGUES IN THE ROOM POINT OF VIEW FROM THE PRIME MINISTER OF CANADA. AND FROM PRESIDENT, THE STANDOUT FOR ALL OF US IN THE ROOM WAS, I LOVE THIS COUNTRY, AS PRESIDENT OBAMA SAYING THAT, YOU KNOW, AND REMEMBER BACK TO A COUPLE OF ELECTION CAMPAIGNS ONE OF THE FIRST QUESTIONS ASKED OF STEPHEN HARPER WAS IF HE LOVED CANADA BECAUSE HE SEEMS TO BE AT THE TIME IT WAS SEEN THAT HE WAS A LITTLE BIT AWKWARD WITH THIS KIND OF ELECTRIC LANGUAGE BUT YOU SAW THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES VOLUNTEERING THIS AND SAYING IT QUITE CASUALLY AND WARMLY AND SO THAT WAS THE BUZZ AMONG THE MEDIA AS WE WAITED PENNED UP TO BE RELEASED AND GET OUT HERE AND TALK TO OUR VARIOUS OUTLETS.

General answer is that Canada is a big exporter of energy (not just oil) and much of our trading is done with the U.S. Less demand for our energy means less demand for our dollar

ok Canada's dollar isn't going up anytime soon because of this, but WHY ON EARTH is the USD staying so high up? Aren't they the ones deepest in the recession?

ok Canada's dollar isn't going up anytime soon because of this, but WHY ON EARTH is the USD staying so high up? Aren't they the ones deepest in the recession?

Why is gas 91 cents at the pumps and oil is less than $35 a barrel. Why is USA Gas way lower than ours. Because K-Y is made from Petroleum and we are willing to pay for it and use it because we need it. All I know is IMO not making the Profits. But I bet ya the guys in Westmount and Hamstead are doing good. More Crap Plse

Dont quote me on this one because im just taking a shot in the dark I havent actually looked into it but it seems logical that demand for US products by foreign nations is still relatively high. Also just because it is high against the CAD doesn't mean that it is high against other currency (it may be, im sure a quick google search could tell you that)

If I spent more time doing my homework, and less on OFC I could probably give you a real answer

kemper, you're probably right. And same here, OFC is browsed whenever I'm doing homework too. which is kinda bad.

and Holdfast, theres this love hate relationship between me and gas. It's such a huge rip-off, but it's SOOO useful: especially when you need to travel to go fishing.

The only thing I can say now is that at least it doesn't cost like what it did last July.

kemper, you're probably right. And same here, OFC is browsed whenever I'm doing homework too. which is kinda bad.

and Holdfast, theres this love hate relationship between me and gas. It's such a huge rip-off, but it's SOOO useful: especially when you need to travel to go fishing.

The only thing I can say now is that at least it doesn't cost like what it did last July.

Yes your right but there is a great Marketing Strategy here. Just like two companies getting together and marketing each other as competitors Coke and Pepsi.

In this situation, bring up the price of Gas at the pumps and change the excuse from supply and Demand,b Storms, Kidnapping to, whats the Latest," The US Dollar"

We are now witnessing the price of gas at the pumps when it was $90 a Barrel. WE KNOW THAT ITS GOING UP SOONER than LATER. Its 35 dollars a Barrel. It tells me next time its 90 dollars a barrel we will be paying Miniumum $1.80 at the pumps