Nipissing

kickingfrog

i heard that the the gull islands around south bay has been producing some good numbers of small walleye but nothing big. Lots of perch in around the waltonian reef area. Out front of north bay has been good as well but i hear the walk is trecherous out there. talk to an operator befroe you go out though as there are some nasty pressure cracks out there apparently.

Cheers!

The walleye have gone dormant this winter due to colder then normal water temps and low oxygen levels and the one that are feeding we are finding small perch in there bellies from the abundance of perch this year. If you want to target this year you need to fish mid 30's or deeper of water to get any numbers and size.

Really slow this year at Deepwater Point. Perch has even cooled off now compared to earlier in the year. Pickerel, when they do hit, are coming in schools and if they do come out to play you will get a 15 minute or so shot at a few fish and that's it for the day. Try deeper water 35-40+.

Just got back from a weekend on the South Shore ... As others have said, Walleye are practically extinct this winter season.... Look for 30-40ft shoals ......Our operator took us out to one where, we hit 2-3lb herring and 12" jumbo's throughout most of the day .... The night bite between 5-7 was when we got the better size fish along with half a dozen 3lb White bass ... Pin heads on a spreader or small jig head as well as micro tubes in white produced most fish with the occasional one hitting small buckshot spoon.... Set up spreaders 15 ft away from where you are jigging, to make things a bit more interesting.

Nippy Sing

we do an annual up in the near north

Cara and Garnet's plus Dad trat us like Family--as we do them

we use a Vexilar exclusively

S-L-O-W from our limited experience

and we go to FISH--catch up on our lives and share food and some laughs--fishing sometimes is secondary focus

i know you all understand that sentiment

Perch--yes--but we Live on LS so not so much WOW Jumbo Yellow Perch Factor for us

fortunate to land some decent Walleye

not our waters Nipissing

something going on in that Lake---no one seems to want to talk about it however

Stay Safe

Check Ice

Paul

This time around ...well I have to comment.

We[ the people whom fish Lake Nipissing] all [those who keep the catch] play a roll in the reduction of catches.. some people blame Native netting [ that might be true] The pressured winter season... who knows ... But I know this.

This is a really touchy subject where I come from.. and so do a lot of OFC'ers.

There is also the HARVESTER....that abuses his / her privileges . :wallbash:

By "Harvester" I mean the person who has a certain card that permits him or her to deplete the resources freely... I know a lot of them who do not care whatsoever about the future repercussions of their present unabashed abuse of the PRIVILEGE of having this card.

eg:2 harvester brothers.. 3 moose in a season, 2 deer and a bear.. no licenses .. :wallbash:

Bragging @ Tim Hortons' about the slot sized haul that they took out of the local fishin' hole.. they even had the balls to invite people outside to see the catch in their livewell. :wallbash:

There needs to better management on Nipissing. as for the rest of Ontario.

As for the Walleye I hope that they're down deep chasing Smelt... so far this year I've caught

6 Walleye 4 of them in the slot... 1 that was too small to keep ... and didn't bring home the last one.

The rumors are true , Walleye is picking up in the vicinity of the Mouth of the French... IE:

Blueberry Is... Fisherman Is. Brown, Burnt, Target, Is's.... Franks and Cross Pt's are picking up early morning and early to late evening.. Perch to be had pretty much everywhere...

Cache Bay is a Hotspot for pike all around 22-25" with the pretty common 30" to be had.. alot of perch there in varied sizes but wormy.

Nipissing had been Overexploited and Undermanaged throughout the years and unfortunately , I fear that we are paying the price for it now.

I hope I'm wrong...

Just my 5 cents

RFS

:canadian:

This time around ...well I have to comment.

We[ the people whom fish Lake Nipissing] all [those who keep the catch] play a roll in the reduction of catches.. some people blame Native netting [ that might be true] The pressured winter season... who knows ... But I know this.

This is a really touchy subject where I come from.. and so do a lot of OFC'ers.

There is also the HARVESTER....that abuses his / her privileges . :wallbash:

By "Harvester" I mean the person who has a certain card that permits him or her to deplete the resources freely... I know a lot of them who do not care whatsoever about the future repercussions of their present unabashed abuse of the PRIVILEGE of having this card.

eg:2 harvester brothers.. 3 moose in a season, 2 deer and a bear.. no licenses .. :wallbash:

Bragging @ Tim Hortons' about the slot sized haul that they took out of the local fishin' hole.. they even had the balls to invite people outside to see the catch in their livewell. :wallbash:

There needs to better management on Nipissing. as for the rest of Ontario.

As for the Walleye I hope that they're down deep chasing Smelt... so far this year I've caught

6 Walleye 4 of them in the slot... 1 that was too small to keep ... and didn't bring home the last one.

The rumors are true , Walleye is picking up in the vicinity of the Mouth of the French... IE:

Blueberry Is... Fisherman Is. Brown, Burnt, Target, Is's.... Franks and Cross Pt's are picking up early morning and early to late evening.. Perch to be had pretty much everywhere...

Cache Bay is a Hotspot for pike all around 22-25" with the pretty common 30" to be had.. alot of perch there in varied sizes but wormy.

Nipissing had been Overexploited and Undermanaged throughout the years and unfortunately , I fear that we are paying the price for it now.

I hope I'm wrong...

Just my 5 cents

RFS

:canadian:

and a very eloquent nickel at that! Cheers my friend!

Edited by ctdd2006

Ballsy and vvery appropriate responce Randyfromsturgeon

Thanks , I chose my words carefully.

And to , CTDD2006...Thank You for the eloquent nickel.

Cram... don't get me started with the Cormorants ... ;) How could I forget those :devil: s

I hate to see Nipissing this way..... And just to think that 2007 was my best season in 20 yrs.

It's come down to this... Honestly , I'm starting to worry.

Cram... don't get me started with the Cormorants ... ;) How could I forget those :devil: s

I hate to see Nipissing this way..... And just to think that 2007 was my best season in 20 yrs.

It's come down to this... Honestly , I'm starting to worry.

Hey Randy. You are telling it like it is. Unfortunatly.

I have been worrying for the last five years too.

Randy,

I have one of those cards. I do not abuse my right to harvest. In fact, I use the same slot size that you do when I fish Nippissing. My brother and I took one moose this year and split it up between six people. We also harvested one deer for the two of us and took one bear. It is unfortunate that some do not abide by the slot and limits, but I know of some outdoor card holders that don't either. These are called poachers. Regardless of what license or card that a person happens to hold, it is every individual's responsibility to ensure that our children will have some resources left when they need them in the future. There will always be people that abuse what is there and feel that they are owed something. I have had some pretty heated arguments with some of my fellow card holders about the abuse you are talking about. These people will never be convinced that conservation is the only way to preserve our heritage. With the cuts in the MNR over the last decade, poaching is on the rise and these people will never be convinced that they are stealing from us all. Thankfully, most people on both sides are aware and encourage the effective management strategies that are set forth by the MNR as well as the First Nation fishing communities. The only thing that we can do is continue to try and get the message across and not point fingers at one another.