An interesting read for F acebook users

Greencoachdog

I use it as a communication tool since thats the only way I can get in touch with some of my friends. (Yes it is sad)

Reading this doesn't surprise me and its the reason keep it professional when I m on it. The worst that you can find

of me is a picture of me consuming a be ver age.

Edited by theRJ

Thats why you dont post crap on it.

You don't call in sick and then go fishing next day and post pics on there for you boss to find haha.

Its great for people who have friends in different cities and countries, great way to stay in touch.

Just have to use it properly

Thanks for posting this Dawg...

A couple of years ago one member of the family thought Facebook would be a good way for the bunch of us to keep in touch as some are scattered far and wide...

The only way to sign-in back then was via our group but something changed about six months ago and now I'm receiving requests via e-mail from peoples all over the globe ???

Luckily I used a nom de plume for my username so googling my real name doesn't do much...

I'm a facebook user, but unless I'm being overly naive here, no one can look at my profile page or pictures unless I've accepted them as a friend first. Now, if you didn't set up any of the security settings, then yes, anyone can look...and that's just your own doing.

I have mine set that only friends I've already accepted can view anything...it's a snap to set up.

And its allso a SNAP to defeat .. beware

Yep, it would be relatively easy for a hacker to defeat...but the example they give in the article is a potential employer. I suppose some may employ hackers to spy on their own or prospective employees, but I doubt it....

Bottom line is, if you have stuff you never want people to find out about, don't put it on the internet.

Any social networking done online, including this forum is hackable.

While I have nothing to hide and do use facebook, I am glad facebook and digital everything was not available when I was younger. :whistling: Nothing like having every foolish youthful indiscretion posted for the world to see. :oops:

It's hilarious to read too!

Glad I wasn't the only one things like that happened to.

I thought about joining when it first became all the rage, but when entered the main page... I somehow got the impression that it was nothing more than a cyber ho house. Maybe it was Misty4u269 and Ivana Humpalot's profiles urging me to join that gave me that impression... or it could've been something else...

I can see how it would be a very interesting place for single people or married people looking to swing... but that's not for me.

I know, a Redneck with morales is an oxymoron... but I've been called worse things! ;)

"I know, a Redneck with morales is an oxymoron... but I've been called worse things! "

Thats because ya aint really a redneck , your a closet Canadian who got lost on his way to Florida for the winter , you can pretend all ya want want ,but we know a LIBERAL when we see one ........

I am on face book i like it for the fact i can stay in touch easily with all my family and freinds back in Europe. I don't use my real name on face book or even my messenger. Its not only face book where people can find out things about you which is why i never use my real name on any sites i use on the computer.

Like cliff said people can only veiw your profile if you add them as a freind.

It's hilarious to read too!

Glad I wasn't the only one things like that happened to.

In the pre-www era, the same thing only it was due to usenet posts. Famous people posted in usenet during their college/university days then, low and behold, dirty secrets from their distant past would come back to haunt them. ...tidbits of info people found by running searches on archived usenet servers. Although you can get messages deleted from a particular server where YOU woudln't see it anymore, other server in its newsfeed do not have to honor delete requests and continue to propagate the original. Every usenet message is effectively permanent and spread worldwide once you put it up.

The bad part about posting anything these days is not only is the info on the originating server, even if it's permanently deleted there, it still sould have been found by web spiders and stored indefinitely in caches by search engines. I have a pretty bad example of this..A friend of mine at a university put a class list with grades on his web server that had no direct link to the file. One of his students who was searching his name one day came across that file with the entire class list and their grades. Not only did the spider find the class file (google's in this case), it also read the PDF and cached and categorized all the info on its own (google's) servers. After being notified of this, my friend removed the file from his own server but it was too late, it didn't matter because google searches could still display the document by pulling out its own cached copy. Nice...

history will repeat itself. The moral is, of course, do not put any info online that you wouldn't be willing say on the jumbo screen at the superbowl.

I'm a facebook user, but unless I'm being overly naive here, no one can look at my profile page or pictures unless I've accepted them as a friend first. Now, if you didn't set up any of the security settings, then yes, anyone can look...and that's just your own doing.

I have mine set that only friends I've already accepted can view anything...it's a snap to set up.

i got the same set up with my account. if anyone tries to get into my account all they get to see is my profile picture. just gotta be careful with who you allow in your group and you'll be fine.