What are the different catagories of Lures??

TJQ

I'm working on a website for new anglers and I want to break it down into sections on what different lures there are. Ontario Freshwater type stuff.

For example:

These are a few example "categories"

Spoons

Jigs

Crankbaits

Topwater

Plastics

Spinners

Spinnerbaits

Any others categories you can think of?? Any thoughts???

may want to go with organic baits as well. live frozen minnows for example, this may help some people when the read that no live bait is allowed, but they can still use dead or frozen baits, and will also help explain where no organic bait is allowed.

TJ, the list of terms is designed to sell lures. What the hell is the difference between a jerkbait and a slashbait? My other complaint about the whole thing is that most of the names are not descriptive at all. What is a swimbait? And why is there such a difference between a spinner and a spinner bait? Surely a spinner is bait too.

I'm mad as hell about this.

</rant>.

The three main categories are:

Hard baits

Soft baits

Wire baits

Each of those three main categories breakdown further. I can give you a list but they change...almost daily....call it whim of the marketers.

Roy's bang on... if you're looking to expand those categories from that point then each of the 3 would have their own set: You may also want to add a terminal section:

Hardbaits:

Crankbaits

Minnow Baits

Top waters

Jigs

Spoons

Soft Baits:

Swimbaits

Soft Plastics

Top Waters

Minnow Baits

Wire Baits:

Spinnerbaits

In-Line Spinners

Buzzbaits

Chatter Baits

Terminal Tackle:

Hooks

Jig Heads

Weights

Snaps / Swivels

Line

Roy's bang on... if you're looking to expand those categories from that point then each of the 3 would have their own set: You may also want to add a terminal section:

Hardbaits:

Crankbaits

Minnow Baits

Top waters

Jigs

Spoons

Soft Baits:

Swimbaits

Soft Plastics

Top Waters

Minnow Baits

Wire Baits:

Spinnerbaits

In-Line Spinners

Buzzbaits

Chatter Baits

Terminal Tackle:

Hooks

Jig Heads

Weights

Snaps / Swivels

Line

oh sure, the guy with his own show has to show us up! :P lol

In theory Crankbaits are shorter and thicker, like Shad Raps, while Minnow baits are long and thin, like the original Rapala minnow.

On the other hand...

Minnows like the original Rapala, can be Twitched, Jerked, Cranked, Swept, Trolled, bottom-bounced on a Carolina rig and used as a Top Water.

While Crankbaits, like a Shad Rap, can also be twitch, jerked, Cranked, Trolled, used as a wake bait or as a Top Water...

If you think the principle difference is in the retrieve, you don't understand business...GRIN.

Here's something to think about...

If I recall correctly it was 1960's when I first saw a Rapala minnow. As far as I can remember they only had one bait, but might have had two colours. Today a tackle shop, who might not sell any more lures in a season than they did back in 1960, would need an entire wall to stock Rapala's line-up.

No wonder tackle stores go broke!

Hard Baits

• Crankbaits

• Topwater Baits

• Stick Baits

• Lipless Baits

• Blade Baits

• Spinnerbaits

• Hard Bait Kits

• In-Line Spinners

• Hard Swimbaits

• Buzzbaits

• Rigged Plastic Swimbaits

• Casting & Trolling Spoons

• Jigging Spoons

Soft Baits

• Worms

• Lizards

• Frog Baits

• Grubs

• Jerk Baits

• Leeches

• Craws

• Tubes

• Unrigged Plastic Swimbaits

• Creatures

• Panfish

• Trailers

• Kits

Swimbaits

• Hard Swimbaits

• Unrigged Plastic Swimbaits

TJ, thanks for thinking about the poor beginners. On behalf of all the newbie fishermen, I have a very simple request: please include a glossary & meanings of technical-&-exotic-sounding terms in English - that non-fisher(wo)men can also understand (and not make fools of themselves by asking stupid questions when they walk into a tackle store). Would that be too much to ask, or even hope for?

TJ, thanks for thinking about the poor beginners. On behalf of all the newbie fishermen, I have a very simple request: please include a glossary & meanings of technical-&-exotic-sounding terms in English - that non-fisher(wo)men can also understand (and not make fools of themselves by asking stupid questions when they walk into a tackle store). Would that be too much to ask, or even hope for?

Osmond please dont feel that your questions are stupid if you ask them then you are usually helping out many others that have the same question but were afraid to ask for just that reason.

I know I have asked many so called stupid questions over the years and have also answered many of them so please fire away with them all you will always get our smart arse answers but that is just the way it is trying to make the new people and old one feel welcome or a part of the family. And you never know you might find the correct one in there somewhere.

Cheers

I know I have asked many so called stupid questions over the years and have also answered many of them so please fire away with them all you will always get our smart arse answers but that is just the way it is trying to make the new people and old one feel welcome or a part of the family. And you never know you might find the correct one in there somewhere.

Thanks for the encouragement, MrEh. I'll surely remember this and not hesitate to ask questions, even if it's just to get some 'smart arse answers', which, by the way, I usually find more interesting & entertaining than the 'correct' ones :D .

Os