Looking at a couple of GPS units

fishnsled

I was a Humminbird user and upgrade to lowrance 2 yrs ago. I now have the previous version of the 522. IMHO Lowrance has superior performing products while Humminbird has more features. I'll take performance over features any day.

Cheers

Ted

I've got the Eagle 642c, love it. Price at Radioworld seems high though. I got mine at JB's for more the price range of the two you listed I think. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Not much input on the Bird, sorry.

http://radioworld.ca/product_info.php?cPat...roducts_id=3034

Few differences that you'll probably never notice

Edited by muskybugged

Never used either of the models your looking at there Will, but if it means anything, I use Lowrance for both my GPS and sonar units and am very happy with the way everything works.

Their repair facility is also just out in Mississagua too if you ever need any work done to them.

We run a 747C with external GPS along with an Eagle Intellimap 500C Chartplotter with Navionics Gold+ chip. It's nice to have the chartplotter with full screen navigation. I'm not a fan of the split screen, unless you have a highend unit with a monster screen)

mm_747c-pic.jpg

IntelliMap-500c_xlarge.jpg

I have a Lowrance 520c unit and it's a great unit. Same as the 522 but with remote GPS antenna.

What's nice about the Lowrance products is they can be networked together if you want one on the console and one up front at the bow while using the trolling motor.

Most PRO's go with Lowrance and just today Lowrance announce it's new 2009 HDS units can add side imaging. This will definitely blow away Humminbird.

Bob

Some great input guys, thanks.

Never used either of the models your looking at there Will, but if it means anything, I use Lowrance for both my GPS and sonar units and am very happy with the way everything works.

Their repair facility is also just out in Mississagua too if you ever need any work done to them.

Good point Lew. I checked and the Humminbird facility is in North Bay. Hopefully you never need one but good to know.

I have a 520C and external antenna so I could hook it up to my 27 on the consol. You can ethernet link screens, and Neima link GPS it to another graph, hook up gauges, fuel system, downriggers, etc....it gets one of the satelite radios thingys too (XM i think).

also, I made a way cool portable unit out of the 520 with a power cord and transducer from Anging Outfitters.....took a case I had and a 12vlt rechargable and made a great ice, and canoe rig.

RR