Slammin' Simcoe Slabs

vanillagorilla

I was very fortunate today to be invited go out fishing with one of the true "Ice Gods" - Chris Currie, his friend Ian and my friend Paul. Chris was very concerned last night that the wind and the rain were really going to make it hard to get around. As usual the Weather forecasters got it wrong again.

We got out to Hank Heyink Fishing Huts from Jackson's Point around 7am. Ken was great and took us out to the far fishing grounds in a really cool Bombardier from the 50's with some other customers

_DSC1245.jpg

Chris the "Ice God" Currie got into some huge Whities instantaniously.

_DSC1250.jpg

The my buddy Paul had one smash his jig!

_DSC1267.jpg

Finally I got a fish and it just started screaming drag. This was no Whitie! It was a huge Laker.

_DSC1255.jpg

Chris and Ian landed it while I got my Camera. What a HOG!

_DSC1257.jpg

Then Ian & Paul both had a double header of 6-7 pound Whities. What pandamonium.

_DSC1262.jpg

Chris with another BEAST on a jigging spoon.

_DSC1270.jpg

I finally got my first Whitie! What a thrill!

_DSC1279.jpg

Chris landing another one of Ian"s Simcoe Slab on Ian's "ICKLE PICKLE SPOON!

_DSC1273.jpg

Chris trying to talk some sense into these fish.

_DSC1274.jpg

By the time all the dust and line settled we caught over 20 fish, with Paul "I DON'T REALLY LIKE ICE FISHING" catching over 11 fish which Chris, Ian & I caught 3 each!

_DSC1265.jpg

A Special Thank You goes out to Chris "THE ICE GOD" Currie for being a great guide for the day! He put us on the fish right away and kept them going all day! When the bite was at its peak the guy did not even bother fishing, he spent all his time landing our fish! He even makes a mean Moose Cheese Burger. What an incredible day on the "Hard Water", one which none of us will ever forget. Thanks again Chris from Paul, Ian & myself.

Great job with all those fish! Were you guys moving around all day or did you stay around Hank's hut that you had?

I went out the same day in a rented hut from Tim Hales. Lost one Whitefish and that was it all day. The other renters also had no luck either.

I have been getting many PMs about Chris and what camera I was using to shoot these images. Here is the skinny on both!

Chris is not a Ice Fishing guide on Lake Simcoe but is a Professional and well know guide on Lake Ontario for Salmon & Trout. His Charter business goes by the name of Riley Salmon and is situated in Scarborough and resides out of Bluffers Park Marina. Chris has been fishing lake Simcoe since he was in his early teen and knows the lake like the back of his hand.

In terms of the camera that I was using to take these photos, I was using a Nikon D300 DSLR. But let me tell you that you can get the same kind of quality shots from your everyday Digital Point & Shoot camera. I do sell some of my pictures to many diferent Fishing/Outdoor related magazines in both Canada & the US and until this year I only used a point and shoot camera from Kodak exclusively. I have been selling my photography now for over 3 years, and have used point and shoot digital cameras with resolution as low as 8 megapixles to as high as 12 megapixles.

The real secret to good fishing photos is having a camera with a high quality glass lens. All Kodak M & Z series cameras are equipped with a glass lens manufactured in Germany by the Schneider lens company. Then you need good looking fish. Chris supplied that! Then you need good models who know how to hold a fish in a natural pose (this is usually the most challenging). And last but not least you need good looking models. No comment required.

If anybody has anymore questions just let me know.