2006 GMC Canyon it is!!

Mattones

I have decided to buy a 2006 GMC Canyon Crewcab short box with a cap. :thumbsup_anim:. I am checking the rigg out this weekend to see what condition it in in. From the pictures and what I have been told on the phone it is IN mint condition.

$16,900 - 49,734kms. Not too shabby as I'm looking for low KM's on a truck under 20grand.

-----

Here is where I'm kind of stuck. I have a car I would want to trade in its a 98 Mazda 626LX with 205kms. Great shape. How should I go about trading that in and also offer a price?

Should I put in an offer in for $15,900. And what I want for my Mazda? or just a offer with no trade in? I was told by a co-worker that they may not want my old Mazda and deal with it?

I may plan to Finance or take a loan from the bank. Just gotta see which is cheaper.

Edited by Mattones

I really wonder why everything that everyone buys or sells is always absolutely MINT, I swear half the poulation out there hasn't got a freakin clue what MINT is, if it's 2 + years old with 50K km it can't be mint, it's USED, Pre Owned, MINT is when it rolls off the assembly line. A couple of months ago Ford was selling brand new pick ups in Barrie for 13K. It's a GM and a half truck to boot. Shop around some more. Sell your car privately.

Edited by Fisherman

I really wonder why everything that everyone buys or sells is always absolutely MINT, I swear half the poulation out there hasn't got a freakin clue what MINT is, if it's 2 + years old with 50K km it can't be mint, it's USED, Pre Owned, MINT is when it rolls off the assembly line. A couple of months ago Ford was selling brand new pick ups in Barrie for 13K. It's a GM and a half truck to boot. Shop around some more. Sell your car privately.

I figured that lol. I'lll have a close look when i get there

Trade it in and they will take it they need the sales right now.

Try to get the max for it as a trade in.

Good luck

Think i should? I figure i can get $1500-$2000 for the car.

Actually it already is 3 years old and going on to 4.

This better be a 4 wheel drive for that price.

If they don't bargain better than that say thanks but no thanks.

Just remember that there are lots of vehicles out there right now, take your time!

Don't ever show a salesman you are excited about a vehicle! Good salesmen are pros. They know how to sell, they do it for a living.

You only buy a car once in a while. Be careful!

Actually it already is 3 years old and going on to 4.

This better be a 4 wheel drive for that price.

If they don't bargain better than that say thanks but no thanks.

Just remember that there are lots of vehicles out there right now, take your time!

Don't ever show a salesman you are excited about a vehicle! Good salesmen are pros. They know how to sell, they do it for a living.

You only buy a car once in a while. Be careful!

Not its not 4x4. I cant afford the 4x4. Insurance will go up almost $1000 if I do. and I cant afford it. :wallbash:

This is one of the cheapest i have seen around on the web and in lots.

When i got my first car my boss had already talked him down and i just went in and bang. This will be a first for me to bargain. :whistling:

Edited by Mattones

When I was looking for my car last summer, I did a lot of reading in Consumer report. They suggested agreeing on a final sale price on the purchase vehicle before even mentioning the trade-in. Now they may ask if you have something to trade during negotiations in which case I suppose you kinda need to tell them, but I recommend getting a ballpark figure before you bring it up. If you proactively tell them they will be less inclined to negotiate. Don't forget a lot of car salesmen are hurting for sales right now, especially in the truck/suv lines (even though it is a smaller truck) play hardball with them, in these times you have the advantage! By the way congrats on the new truck! its always exciting!

I own a canyon 4x4 crew cab...love my truck...but would not get one that wasn't 4x4. I wont even say how much it cost new....but the incentives were right and the economy was different back then...lol a year and a half ago.

great little trucks...but that sounds very pricy if its not 4x4 considering how old it is. Lots of bargains to be had at the moment...its a buyers market...especially with the Big # who are up poop creek without a paddle.

I even saw an ad from a dealer in winnipeg for the Nissan version of the Canyon crew cab 4x4......and they were throwing in a new 4x4 quad and a Snowmobile in the deal.....ok the unit itself was 39,000, but buy it and sell the quad and snowmachine and there ya go!

All i'm saying is maybe dont leap just yet...i just did that as well with my snowmachine and got burnt with lots of regrets...not how i wanted to feel after buying my first ever snowmachine.........I hate giving advice probably because i'm crap at receiving it...and listening...but i would just like to say shop around a bit or bring that price around the 12,ooo dollar mark for starters.

Id wait for a 4 x 4 and still keep the car...the truck will burn a lot more gas city driving than the car.

The mazda isent worth fixing when something major goes. Which seems to be soon. 205km. Its already starting to sound horrible. It was a good car for the 2-3 years i owned it.

I own a canyon 4x4 crew cab...love my truck...but would not get one that wasn't 4x4. I wont even say how much it cost new....but the incentives were right and the economy was different back then...lol a year and a half ago.

great little trucks...but that sounds very pricy if its not 4x4 considering how old it is. Lots of bargains to be had at the moment...its a buyers market...especially with the Big # who are up poop creek without a paddle.

I even saw an ad from a dealer in winnipeg for the Nissan version of the Canyon crew cab 4x4......and they were throwing in a new 4x4 quad and a Snowmobile in the deal.....ok the unit itself was 39,000, but buy it and sell the quad and snowmachine and there ya go!

All i'm saying is maybe dont leap just yet...i just did that as well with my snowmachine and got burnt with lots of regrets...not how i wanted to feel after buying my first ever snowmachine.........I hate giving advice probably because i'm crap at receiving it...and listening...but i would just like to say shop around a bit or bring that price around the 12,ooo dollar mark for starters.

How much would you say you spend on gas at the pump when you are 1/4 from empty?

I have searched all over the GTA,Halton,Niagara Area and this was one of the cheapest around with the low Kms. (Posted above) Even on Auto Trader. I found a one for about 15,995 with 58,901 km

The truck i am looking at is 49,734km

for the price i posted above. about 1k more. I want to try and lower the dealer to 3k under the asking price.

Edited by Mattones

have you thought about going full size???

with your budget you can get a decent full size fully loaded truck

I actually looked into a few. Though cant find one with my price range with low Kms. It will be a daily use/ job site truck.

2007 FORD F-150 XLT CREW

2006-07 Dodge Ram

2006-07 SIERRA crew

Havent found really anything. Price is not so much an issue but insurance is pretty high as iv only been driving for just about three years. I have a heavy foot lets put it that way.

Edited by Mattones

How much would you say you spend on gas at the pump when you are 1/4 from empty?

LOL...thats tough cuz the price goes up and down by 30cents a litre every day it seems!!!

Its about a 60 litre tank empty...about 70 litres if i fill it up the tube. average price is around 80cents a litre at the moment here so i'd say it costs around $36 from a quarter tank left. take off my 3cents loyalty bonus for Fasgas and its around $30 for 3/4 tank

I would shop around if I where you. I just recently had to buy a truck too and like you traded my car.

its going to be different from dealership to dealership but you can count on getting less then going price of the car.

Like Irishfield said you don't have to pay GST on the trade in so your going to get a bit more value.

Don't be scared to buy something with a few more km's, your going to save yourself some deprecation in the end. you'd be surprised what 25,000 km can do to the value of your truck at the beginning of its life! I was heart broken when a car I paid over $40000 for was worth a little over $10000 a few years later. A lot of today's trucks come with a 130,000-160,000 bumper to bumper warranty, so even buying a truck with 60,000-80,000km your going to get a few years of no cost repairs before you have to start paying for fixing. Hey maybe by that time you'll want to trade it in well its still worth something!

anyways just my 2 cents, look around get what you want not what easiest.

heres a sweet little truck, I bought a titan and I love it

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.asp...mp;adid=7480154

Edited by troutguy

The Rangers are a good deal right now, but just check out all the financing details with a fine tooth comb to see if the low interest rates are really good and check with your bank before signing on the line. You are better off with a brand new truck than a used one especially with the deals now. If you are going to spend up to 20 G's then why buy used? Get a new one, it might have a couple less bells and whistles but there is nothing, NOTHING like a brand new car!

Remember the Ranger is a Mazda with a different tag on the grill.

Keep us up to date on what you buy and happy motoring.

The Rangers are a good deal right now, but just check out all the financing details with a fine tooth comb to see if the low interest rates are really good and check with your bank before signing on the line. You are better off with a brand new truck than a used one especially with the deals now. If you are going to spend up to 20 G's then why buy used? Get a new one, it might have a couple less bells and whistles but there is nothing, NOTHING like a brand new car!

Remember the Ranger is a Mazda with a different tag on the grill.

Keep us up to date on what you buy and happy motoring.

In early Dec I needed to get a new vehicle fast because I use it for work and my Astro Van crapped out on me...

I went to the Ford dealership and told him what I wanted---- A no bells or whistles plain-jane 09 ranger ext cab with a V-6 for under $400 a month he came back with $395, told him OK we`ll be back after looking around...

Next we went down the street to the mazda dealership told him what ford was offering and if he couldn`t beat it we were out of there... He came back with a loaded 08 mazda ext cab for $391 /month... needless to say I bought it and absolutely LOVE it... decent on gas compared to my van (roughly 450km per $60 fill up at 80 cents)

I`d look into getting new... you get the new smell and don`t have to worry about getting something that someone bought and drove the hell out of...

Good luck with whatever you decide

Doug

I'm not much a fan of the Rangers, Their dirt cheap yeah but I don't think ill buy one. If i buy a new 09 truck my insurance would sky rocket. lol

I found an 06 Canyon with 58,351km for $13,785. But its a 2.8 4 cyl which blows.

I have looked all over Auto-Trader and on car dealerships in their used section for the past month. The one i first posted was one of the cheapest with the low KM's.

Actually I don't think there would be any difference in the price of insurance between an '09 and an '06. The only way you will save on insurance is if you decide not to get collision. If you are borrowing that is not usually and option.

The '09 may even be cheaper to insure. You should contact your insurance company before buying.