Any downhill skiers here

misfish

The mrs,s an I, have been doing things that we have not done. Well shes done more then I.Eating seafood for her. :worthy::thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

The one thing I have always wanted to try was downhill skiing.

I know we can rent them and all that.

Just need some pointers on the do,s and dont,s.

Edited by misfish

Have you ever water skied before? I ask for balance and movement. And remember, you are never to old for a lesson!

I use to water ski all the time.

The difference to me is I could let go of the rope and go down EASY.

Dont think when I go down on the hard stuff,it will be so nice.LOL

Same idea of keeping your knees bent and using your hips and balance to turn. just don't cross the tips! going down, wait let me reword that... falling down isn't so bad as long as you go to your butt/hip and keep your hands out front.

Brian

Give Snow valley a try one night .Tuesday to Thursday are less busy ( closed monday)

Good easy hills to start you off . gettin on off to wropes or lifts can ebe the hardest .

they have group lesson at pretty resonable rates, includes rentals.

If you have ever had skis on before ( x country or water) it will help .

TB

Brian me brudder! I could understand you and your sweetie wanting to go out and do different tings togedder but by de lard tunderin', don't be strappin' lumber to your feet an throwin yeseves off a cliff! How about snowshoes? Cross country skiing maybe? I wouldn't even be offended if ya curled!

Cross country skiing maybe?

Roy, I phoned Hardwood hills about that me brudder. For some reason,they dont allow you to sling a shotgun for the wabbits. :dunno::dunno:

Give Snow valley a try one night .Tuesday to Thursday are less busy ( closed monday)

Good easy hills to start you off . gettin on off to wropes or lifts can ebe the hardest .

Thats where I was thinking Dave. They have the tube run,but,I did that behind a boat too.Now thats pain if you wipeout.

Edited by misfish

When I first started dating my wife she was really into it, I used to go skiing with her all the time.

Never had any lessons but I was a natural and managed quite well, 'till one day when my overconfidence got the best of me.

We were at Ellicotville (or Alcoholville as I liked to call it :) ) and I somehow ended up at the brink of their black diamond trying to decide yay or nay.

It was pure ice, no powder and peppered with nasty little humps and bumps. Not even the experienced skiers were attempting it.

I figured....why not?

Anyone remember the opening shots on Wide World Of Sports where they show that clip of Todd Brooker (or was it Podborski?) crashing at Kitzbuhel where he goes cartwheeling end over end?

Well that was me :P .

That was the last time I ever went downhill skiing LOL!

(No relevance whatsoever to your question, but just thought I'd throw that in there :) )

snowboarding is BETTER! :P

You mean I can hang and say things like ,MAN THAT WAS A HANGER,OR MAN THAT WAS SO STOKED?

LOL One step at a time Pure. I tried skate boarding once,on the advice of my youngest. My first trick was a heel flip over a very low curb(dont ask how low) I went over alright. Yep two days off of work. :stretcher:

Have you considered ice fishing maybe?

Ya know what Roy,were doing that next weekend.Hope it,s not to cold.LOL

This weekend is bowling. Yeah I done that before,but it,s QUALITY TIME. :thumbsup_anim:

Seriously.

I do want to do this. We,ll be heading there saturday to see what it,s all about.Not sure if she will do it,but Im sure she,ll have a warm coco and a soft pillow for me to sit on.

Yes, there will be pics and a vid. I wouldnt want to deprive you all from a good laugh.

Oh, I'll be up in Barrie this weekend so I might just have to go by Snowvalley...

It's not hard, snowplow for speed, knees and hips bent and your hands in front of you like you are on a bike. Just don't cross your tips...

When I first started dating my wife she was really into it, I used to go skiing with her all the time.

Never had any lessons but I was a natural and managed quite well, 'till one day when my overconfidence got the best of me.

We were at Ellicotville (or Alcoholville as I liked to call it :) ) and I somehow ended up at the brink of their black diamond trying to decide yay or nay.

It was pure ice, no powder and peppered with nasty little humps and bumps. Not even the experienced skiers were attempting it.

I figured....why not?

Anyone remember the opening shots on Wide World Of Sports where they show that clip of Todd Brooker (or was it Podborski?) crashing at Kitzbuhel where he goes cartwheeling end over end?

Well that was me :P .

That was the last time I ever went downhill skiing LOL!

(No relevance whatsoever to your question, but just thought I'd throw that in there :) )

Man, you fish some of the same steelhead waters as I (the kitty,18) and ski the same slopes (holiday valley) and ive never run into you lol. Small world i guess.

Skiin is my second hobby after fishing,........well snowboarding now. I skiied for about 10 years and once they started getting rid of all the mogul runs around here (kissing bridge, holiday valley.......in ny) i switched to snowboarding. We used to ski the moguls non stop almost every run. But for some reason, they have diminished over the years. THat was really the only real fun i had on skiis........around here anywya. Killington VT. was another story.......much more challenging terrain. So i dunno, i got bored i guess you could say and switched to the board and havent looked back. I actualy found snowboarding easier to learn than skiing. Its tough to get the body language down, but once it clicks, its clicks. Its alot more fun in my opinion, and its not just for the young guys who can pull Wicked (the good wicked) phat (the good phat) sick (the good sick) tight moves out in the board park..........theres a ton of old guys out there carvin it up nowadays. Id strap the board on and go for it.

LOL.. like has been said.. take a lesson Brian, and NO I don't have the patience for it anymore and you're too big for me to ski backwards and have you hold my pole handles. Never really did have the patience.. it just got me on the slopes for free and I did have the quickest advancement from beginner to advanced in the Rideau Valley ski club .....as I believed the bunny hills were impossible to teach kids to ski on if they can't get any speed to glide/turn. I took them straight to Tiger Express, at Calabogie, about day 3 ! lol

As for "Snowboarding is better".... I'd just wish someone would tell them they're supposed to share the hill as well. All three of us.. wife, daughter and myself.. got pinged off last Sunday night at Blue. I'm still sore. We used to do stuff like that as kids.. crude plywood boards with bindings... broken skis cut off to what you would now call skates.. mono skis with a plate and two bindings.. and all of them got us thrown off the hills. Now they've found boards cut their grooming costs so let it rip !... just wish we had of patented some of that stuff....

Brian

If you have ever had skis on before ( x country or water) it will help .

TB

Couldn't agree more TB. Stay away from Blue Mountain for you virgin voyage.

Ice skating expirence helps too IMO.

I've got a nice set of 3 year old stuff, I don't use anymore.... If you are a size 10-10.5 boot, roughly 175 lbs should save you a few bucks.

Good luck!