Bait Store

Shoredump

Long time ready, first time poster.

Each year we have a group of guys that travel north to do some fishing near the Moon River. We have purchased bait from "Bait On The Lake" near Bracebridge ever since we started using live bait. John at BOTL is a great guy - but we are looking for other locations that may have 3 to 6 inch chubs, suckers, shiners between Barrie and Mactier. The key here is to not have to pass our destination, turn around and go back. We hope to save some time, gas and get on the water more quickly.

Any locations someone could recommend?

Thanks,

purk's is closed for the winter. If you take hwy 11 go to elwood eps just past weber's (big yellow bridge). It used to be called pete's bait shop

He goes up the 400.

There must be something near Severn.

You can get shiners from Simcoe bait and tackle but it is 5 mins off the highway and in Barrie.

You can always stop off at that truck stop rest area shop around king city (i know it is south of Barrie but it is right on the highway). It is called fish Ontario. Lots of guys here don't really like his prices though. I have been in teh shop but never bought anything there before.

BOTL is now at Glen Orchard (not far from Mactier) ...and yes John is a great guy... it used to be in Port Carling... I believe the other fellow in Bracebridge is still there (I never go up hwy 11 any more so I am not sure)

I have often got the great BIG suckers from behind the PetroCan station on the 400 as mentioned ... its just before the King side road exit and normally has quite a wide variety of choices ... and they open long before the sun comes up ... so you can double up with a timmies stop and minnow pickup ... havent been in there in a while so I am not sure if they were affected by the whole who-can-sell-what-bait-where rigmarole

I am pretty sure most of the other bait shops on that route tend to be closed for the winter including Perks, Pier 69, Marshes .. although I understand that there is someone in Mactier who also sells bait in the winter ...

You may want to call these folks to see as well : Moon Basin Marina & Cottages Mactier, 722 Basin Marina Rd. Mactier ON CAN P0C 1H0, 1 705 375-2288

Edited by camillj