My 2009 Soft plastics

profisher25

You don't seem to have any Senko 4 or 6 inch worms.

The curly-tail ones you have are okay, but the straight "Bic Pen" style Yum-Dinger or Senko worms are my personal favourite. You can fish them wacky or weightless Texas rig them. For basic colours, I like Carolina Pumpkin with a Chartreuse tail, Watermelon with Red or Black fleck, Motor Oil, and Root Beer a translucent reddish brown colour that is called Camouflage by the no-name generic worm maker in my area. To start the day, I try to match the colour of the worm to the bottom...green over weeds, browns over sand or rock.

You don't seem to have any Senko 4 or 6 inch worms.

The curly-tail ones you have are okay, but the straight "Bic Pen" style Yum-Dinger or Senko worms are my personal favourite. You can fish them wacky or weightless Texas rig them. For basic colours, I like Carolina Pumpkin with a Chartreuse tail, Watermelon with Red or Black fleck, Motor Oil, and Root Beer a translucent reddish brown colour that is called Camouflage by the no-name generic worm maker in my area. To start the day, I try to match the colour of the worm to the bottom...green over weeds, browns over sand or rock.

Agreed

You should get some 5" YUM LPT dingers. Wacky worm style drives them crazy. My fav. coluors are black, blue and natural worm colours. Look into the Yamamoto worms too, but they tear very easily.

I just have to add something here. Suggestions for any bait is not 100%. I use senkos a lot, but there are different sizes, colours and brands.What works for one person, doesn't mean it will work for you. The size of hook, the setup, the rod, the weight, will all affect you catch rate. Not everyone out there is using the same things, in the same conditions. All I am trying to say, don't spend a lot of money on wasted baits. Buy a few different baits that you think will work in area. I have so many bass baits, but I usually leave 3/4 of them at home.

Hope this helps,

Daniel

I'd agree with what the others have said. I would add some 4 and 5" Senkos in the Bubblegum color. Maybe some more tubes also.

Is it better to store plastics in their sealed bags or take them out and store them in a PLANO box? Will the dry out? Lose there scent?

Like River Rat mentioned, hard to comment or make suggestions with out knowing what your intended target is, and I can`t make out the size of the baits from the picture.

Personally I have no problems with the u-tail worms, I used Zoom ss u-tails myself (6 inch), a good bait and I have caught a number of different species on them besides bass. Ring worms are also a favorite on mine, 4 or 6 inch( I don`t consider 7 inch worms 7,they get labeled 6). Berkley Power worms are also good baits.

Lizards worked for me, 4 to 8 inch a bigger profile bait than most worms and usually a bigger average size fish. Sort of the original creature bait.

2-3 inch sassy shad or grub on a jig head is a good poke around to see what is in the area lure, a pre-fish lure for me for bass on strange waters, just want to catch something to see what is holding in the area. They will catch bass, I have also caught pike, walleyes, and just about everything else on them. Not my choice on a tournament day unless I am pretty confident they will put what I am looking for in the boat, just prefer a larger bait, unless they ain`t working.

Like others have mentioned, no one lure is going to work every day, doesn`t hurt to carry a mix of styles and colors.

I don't think Profisher25 is fishing bass...are you ? Most of those baits look like walleye or crappy baits.

I thank the bass gods for being kind enough to provide me with the Senko, the Fluke and flappin shad, the horny toad / yum frog and the floating worm /trick worm.

RR

you forgot to mention "storms" 8* lizard in a sandy brown!!!!!

I don't think Profisher25 is fishing bass...are you ? Most of those baits look like walleye or crappy baits.

I thank the bass gods for being kind enough to provide me with the Senko, the Fluke and flappin shad, the horny toad / yum frog and the floating worm /trick worm.

RR

Yes , you are correct, its made up of bass, walleye, and panfish baits! These are the main species of fish i target with soft plastics. The predatory species i usually target with hard baits, spinners, and spoons.

At my camp (north of Sudbury) medium power bait tubes (must be smoke coloured) is THE go to bait for huge smallies all July and August. They gotta be smoke though...the smoke tubes get hammered non-stop while anything else produces many (I'm talkin' MANY) fewer strikes. I think the smoke colour most accuratly mimicks a crawfish which all bass up there that time of year seem to be full of.

this thread got me thinking so I paid a visit to the winter resting grounds of the boat to check a chip I bought for the new unit, pulled the cover and emptied 1 side of the compartments...I think I need to sell some stuff, on the other side sits 2 plano boxes of tubes, 2 boxes of jigs a box of jerk baits and crank baits and a box of frogs, never mind the 2 boxes of hooks....and Im not even going to talk about the dozens and dozens of bags in the front compartment

IMG_0007_0283.jpg

this thread got me thinking so I paid a visit to the winter resting grounds of the boat to check a chip I bought for the new unit, pulled the cover and emptied 1 side of the compartments...I think I need to sell some stuff, on the other side sits 2 plano boxes of tubes, 2 boxes of jigs a box of jerk baits and crank baits and a box of frogs, never mind the 2 boxes of hooks....and Im not even going to talk about the dozens and dozens of bags in the front compartment

IMG_0007_0283.jpg

This pic makes me want to take out all of my soft plastics out of their bags and put them in a container...

Mike I have kept most of my soft plastics in those style of boxes for years, some of the newer soft baits may need to be kept in their bags most don`t. Some baits I bought in quantities of one hundred or more didn`t come in zip lock bags. I put what wasn`t needed to load a box in a quart zip lock freezer bag and store them in 5 gallon buckets with lids.

Edited by OhioFisherman