Need a good soup/stew recipe

Daplumma

Not sure this is what you want,but here it is anyways.

In a large skillet pan,you want to fry up some diced onions,red and green peppers and 10 gloves of garlic,sliced or crushed,what ever you prefer. Allow to cook down til tender to the touch. Now add in a can of chicken broth and a can of chillie tomatoes. Allow to simmer and let the flavors get happy happy. About 1 hour.

Once thats done,you pour it into a oven deep dish. Now you place the fish filets on top and put in the oven for 30-45 minutes,uncovered.

I like to boil up some nice whole grain rice to put it on top off.

Simple,and a very healthy meal.

That sounds great,how many peppers and onions?Not sure what Chile tomatoes are.

Joe

One large bell pepper of both. The Chillie tomatoes you can buy in a can. Aylmers. But I like to cut up my own and add some fresh red chillie peppers finley chopped. I remove the seeds as that can get awee bit hot for those that dont like it that hot.

I take a small pot and stew the tomatoes and chillie peppers for a good hour or so, I also add salt and pepper to taste,then add into the mix of peppers and onions.

This sauce is also great over some linguini. But if you do,I would reccommed steamed muscles.

On the side,some nice garlic chese bread.

I learned from one of the best chefs when I was young,and have taken from him and made my own dishes.

No one seems to complain,,,,Well they do when it,s all gone. :wallbash:

i'll try and put down my dads chowder recipe if i remeber right, sorry no measurements as he usually makes a 5 gal. pot at a time and it disappears in no time

fry a couple slices of salt pork in bottom of pot, (no oil) remove when cooked, cut up in little pieces , (meat only remove fat)

fill half the pot with water and some diced potatoes, (about 1/3 pot i'd say) once mostly cooked remove and much up half and put back in pot, keep rest for later

add celery, onions, little bit o'garlic

add lots o'fish (usually different varieties, one year we had 12 diff. kinds) sometimes puts shrimps also

add can of clams w/ juice

paprika,salt,pepper

once cooked add half & half cream and remaining potatoes,

once slowly boiling mix up some cornstarch and put in to thicken

nice hunk of french bread for dippin

i think thats it or close to it anyways

when "taste testing" you'll always think it needs salt, you'll never seem to be able to put enough, so just let ppl add to their bowl to their own taste,

good luck

edit, forgot to return salt pork meat with fish

Edited by walleyejigger

crock pot is my fav,

throw all kinds of stuff in pot and let cook all day, turn ANY tough cut into the tenderest meat ever

fav recipe,

tough roast of deer, moose or bear, in pot, mix a pack of lipton onion soup with cup of water, pour over roast, trow in potoatoes and carrots and let cook all day, keep adding water a bit of water if ya have too, if ur gonna be away all day u can put lots o water right away

mmmmmm mmmmmm good

Guest skeeter99
I HATE CROCK POTS.

LAZY LAZY LAZY. J/K They do have thier place,,,,,,,,,,,,,I GUESS.

I dont call it lazy I call it extremely smart /time saving/effecient

i put my chilli on a 5 am before I go fishing and when I get home at 8 pm dinner is all ready and nice and hot

no screwing around for another 1.5 hours to make dinner

Edited by skeeter99

I usually use frozen cod or haddock in my version of ''fisherman's pie''...

about 1 lb of any white fish cut in cubes

a bit of salt and pepper

couple of large handfuls of peas

1/2 tin Campbell's cream of mushroom (or celery) soup (as is from tin)...

6 medium potatoes boiled then mashed with butter, milk. salt and pepper

place on top of above ingredients in a casserole dish

Sprinkle some Grated cheddar cheese on top...

bake in a 400*f oven for 20-25 minutes if fish is thawed...30 minutes if fish is frozen...Enjoy

I have on occasion added some cleaned raw shrimp and/or scallops with the fish...

If this is a meat stew, cut up yer meat in cubes or slices, dredge in seasoned flour, and fry in olive oil until browned on all sides. Remove from pan. Add onion and garlic and sautee until edges are starting to brown. Add meat, and some wine- white for chicken or pork, red for beef-, and simmer. Add some vegetables like carrots, potatoes, celery, right away, so that they mush up and thicken the gravy, and some chicken or beef stock as appropriate.

Simmer for an hour. You can add a tsp of bovril or chicken bouillion, a 1/4 tsp of thyme (savoury sage for chicken), and ground pepper. We also like some ground chilies by times.

Add some more chunky vegetables and more water or broth just until covered, and simmer until the new vegetables are tender. Thicken by mixing 1 tbsp of flour with 1/4 c of cool water or stock, whisked into stew. Add some Worcestershire and or HP sauces. Adjust salt and serve with my own fresh bread, some Strubb's dills, a sharp cheddar.

A Keith's or two might help.

I dont call it lazy I call it extremely smart /time saving/effecient

i put my chilli on a 5 am before I go fishing and when I get home at 8 pm dinner is all ready and nice and hot

no screwing around for another 1.5 hours to make dinner

OK LAZY my of been abit of an overkill word :whistling: . Yes they do have thier place,but I for one like to cook,enjoy to cook.Weather it be a fast 30 minute meal or if it takes me a coule of hours. It,s all good food.

OK, this is one that I don't usually share with anyone other than at our dinner table. The history is simple; we were out for dinner one evening at a "Fine Dining" place and one of the things on the menu was a "cream of garlic soup". Everyone that tried it loved it so I being me, decided "I can make this" (Famous last words)LOL.

Anyway, it took me a while but here is my version of it and I haven't had many complaints; I hope you enjoy:

Take 4 or 5 Buds (no not cloves) of garlic, peal off the outer (loose skin)

Cut off about 1/4 of an " off the top of the bud. (I save all the little pieces of garlic that I can out of the tops and throw them into the sauce pan later)

Place them upright in a baking dish and drizzle with about 2 tbs of olive oil over the tops. preheat oven to 350F and bake for about 1 hr until golden brown. Remove and let cool. When the garlic is cool enough to handle; press the individual garlic cloves between the thumb and finger to squeeze out the garlic.

In a large sauce pan: combine the garlic, 2 1/2 cups chicken broth and 1 cup of white wine. Bring it to a boil then reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes. Then stir in 2 1/2 cups whole milk, 1 cup heavy whipping cream, and 1/2 cup pealed and cubed potatoes (salt and pepper to taste) and simmer another 30 minutes.

Puree soup in a blender, return to sauce pan adjust salt and pepper, and simmer. Ladel into bowls and serve with buttered French bread.

Now, if you want the most decadent seafood chowder, just add about 1 cup small salid shrimp and 1 cup baby scalops after pureeing and just simmer long enough to JUST cook the scalops. (You could use any fish cut into cubes).

Enjoy!

This the ultimate comfort food recipe....

1.5 lb of ANY ground meat browned with a small onion diced. I have used beef, turkey, pork, veal. I have even used cooked salmon flaked with a bit of green onion

8 slices of cooked bacon crumbled or 4ozs of diced ham I have even used coined up pillars hot pepperettes to add a bit of spice.

Place them in a 9in deep pie plate

Shread 6oz of your favourite cheese and put over the meat.

In a 2CUP measuring cup take 1/2 cup of any egg based salad dressing. I like using half mayonaisse and half PC salsa ranch salad dressing. Add 4 eggs one at at time beating throughly with a fork after each egg. Lastly blend in 1/2 cup of half and half. Pour the mixture over the meat and cheese and bake until set in preheated 375 F oven. Usually takes about 30 to 35 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!!! This is excellent cold the next day with a salad as well.

I make this so often that when ground beef or pork is on sale I buy 10 to 15 lbs and brown it off and freeze it in 1 lb lots so I can throw this together even quicker.

Thats some good stuff guys.I printed out the thread for a rainy day.I sorta made a beef red wine sorta stew thing(tanx dooGles)) and served it over puff pastries,thanx for the input.Them chowdah recipes are what I crave and I will perfect my own one day.

Joe