Flasher or Underwater camera?

HUKDONFAWNIX

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about buying a new toy for ice fishing and before I do, I would like to hear some opinions if you would be so kind.

Should I buy a flasher or an Underwater camera? I'm leaning towards a flasher, but then I start to wonder which brand offers a better product.........Vexilar or Marcum?

Or should I buy an underwater camera?

:wallbash:

Any advice is greatly appreciated as always.

Thank you!

Flasher first, then a camera. :whistling:

You can't go wrong with any of the offerings out there (Lowrance, Humming bird, Vexilar or Marcum)

Figure out what features you need/want and use that to weed through the various models. Once you have that figured out pick which ever unit tickles your fancy because IMO each one is as good as the other.

camera's a pretty neat toy but definately get a graph or flasher first

like drifter above says, they are all pretty good.

the one mentioned in this thread looks pretty interesting too: http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27467 . i don't have experience with it but it looks like a good alternative to a flasher that is worth looking into as well.

Flasher first, then a camera. :whistling:

You can't go wrong with any of the offerings out there (Lowrance, Humming bird, Vexilar or Marcum)

Figure out what features you need/want and use that to weed through the various models. Once you have that figured out pick which ever unit tickles your fancy because IMO each one is as good as the other.

yeah! :lol:

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. One of the things that is making me hesitant about buying a flasher, is that I have been told they aren't the easiest things to use and/or analyze what it's telling you.

I'm a novice compared to most people on this board and have never used a flasher or watched somebody else operate one.

Are they difficult to use?

i would also look into the lowrance x67 ice machine!!!! it is a very good unit !!!

I would also look at this unit it sure is nice I bought the 522c GPS combo this year and am glad I bought it rather then a flasher.

One it has a flasher on it so I can use it if needed ( I have tried it a few times but go back to the sonar)

two it has real time line so you can watch your jig in real time just like the flasher I have been playing around with it and love watching the fish come up from the bottom right to my jig and know when to expect them to bite it sure does make life alot easier when you know they are sitting right at you hook

three you have a time line to the left of the real time box this will let you know what you missed when you were talking to your buddy or were changing setups or putting a minnow or what have ya you just look at the screen and you can see what was there in the last 20 sec or so

four you can zoom in on a section of water you are fishing and not look at the whole water column

five you can use it on your boat in the summer

there are more reasons give Angling outfitters a call in woodstock and ask them about what is best they will help you alot.

I have no problems with a flasher but had looked for a long time before I made my choice I dont regret it at all and will recomend this unit to anyone that is looking for a ice fishing unit it sure makes it alot more fun out there.

JMO

As far as bein' 'scared' of it . . . . when it comes to electronics, I'm 'thick as a brick,' but after watching the instructional video several times, it took me 5 full minutes to find & catch my first fish! Here's a sample of how simple the Vex is . . . take your choice, watch their video . . . good luck! http://www.vexilar.com/pages/support/support_videos.html

P. S.

If you're interested in a very good underwater camera, I noticed MikeH (one of our members) has a pretty decent one that he barely used, for sale, on this board. I had some fun watching the whities about 80' down, out off Willow Beach while fishin' with him a couple years ago. He rarely used it . . . to much hassle settin' it up!

Edited by Photoz

I have a camera and I say get the flasher first. Much more useful in deep water, dark water or especially muddy water. Both are great to have though!

All the companies make great products. If it were me, I'd buy a Vex.. just because that's what I used (borrowed from friends) and it worked great.

flasher first... x67c second... and camera third... dont forget with the camera you have to put the camera a 100 feet down the hole and when you move you have to bring all that cable back up..with the flasher and other sonar you just lift the tran out of water and your on your way to a new hole