2006 Ranger 175vs

Stoty

It works both ways. I know guys with little boats always seem to want to have that little bit of extra speed, comfort, storage and safety. The guys with the bigger rigs want a smaller rig that will be easy to fit in a garage, easier on gas and easier on the wallet. If you're not planning on fishing any big tournaments in the near future, you will be totally satisfied with a 17 & 115. My third boat was very similar to what you're looking at and although I'm on my 2nd 20 footer, I miss that 17 foot boat a lot. I may even downgrade at some point as the options for big tournaments up here are becoming very limited. Also remember, there are circuits out there dedicated to 115 HP & under, so if you fished one of those events, your rig would obviously be one of the top dogs and you'd be at no competitive disadvantage.

I also know what it is like to have a dream boat. Mine was always Champion. Picked my first up in Denton Texas after about a 21 hour drive. I think I floated on air the entire tow home. Still think fondly about it.

$17 is a very fair price on that rig. Have a mechanic take a look at the motor if it is out of warranty for some peace of mind. Also the trailer. The boat itself is a Ranger, that speaks for itself and their customer service is legendary and warranted.

It is a great first boat and certainly not what most would consider a starter boat. You will love it.

Once you are comfortable and want to squeeze the last few ounces of performance out of it, talk to Paul at Top Gun Marine. He did wonders for all my little boats and is still the only person I trust with my boat and motor after 3 marinas I won't mention that tried to jack me. You can ask misfish too, he dealt with Paul and he knows that Paul will do you right at a price the competition will not want others to know about.

Enjoy the boat!

Charles

Paul at Top Gun Marine does fix Yamaha motors ,he fixed mine a couple of times last year. The first time I took my boat to him, I felt like I was getting the run around by another marina and he had me back on the water in three days. :thumbsup_anim:

Where is Top Gun Marine?

I will be having a mechanic look at the boat (if I buy it), when I get it back home.

I am trying to see if the guy selling it will hook up the hose to the motor or put it in a bucket, so I can hear it running.

Can you tell a lot about a motor by the looks of the inside of it?

Are there things I should be looking for?

yes have him show you the lower unit fluid, granted he could have changed it and such, a simple compression test on the engine and the lower unit should tell you what you need, I dont know if that engine has a diagnostic port on it to connect, if it does that would answer every single question on it..

the engine isnt that old look at the power head if it looks like it hasnt over heated ( chipped paint or a different color ) then it more then likely is ok, pull the plugs look for fouling, but again lots of these things can be covered up and a compression test by a mech is the best bet and well worth the 150 or so it will cost.

I would also ask who serviced it and go there and ask, also any reciepts on work done...I was lucky I bought my boat from a trustworthy person, and the marina that serviced it gave a thumbs up knowing the boat inside and out, but there are some that will sell crap that cosmetically looks ok a test tank or a run on muffs wont tell a darn thing other then it turns over and spits water

Edited by aniceguy

compression test and a leakdown test!!!....both should be done proir to buying

have any idea how much a replacement motor will run.....still no garuntee it not blowin up on ya ....but a piece of mind none the less ....do it before you buy....17k is 17k

all the best with your new toy

It's an '06 so I am sure it's alright.

Oh.... to be young and naive again! And I mean that in a nice way Jamie.

Take someone with you to look at it. Compression test can be done on site by cranking the sucker over. Leak down test can be done with a portable air pig.

Edited by irishfield

The lower unit oil and engine oil had better have been replaced after he drained it. Nothing worse than an empty case and bare gears thru the winter/condensation etc. If he's leaving them empty thru the winter....walk.

Edited by irishfield

the hull imo shouldnt have any stress crack issues....with a 115 I dont think it can go fast enough to pound hard enough a simple but hard look should tell if the hull was ever repaired, ( bright light looking for blemish or glass blending) but the engine is a whole diferent world..sure visually you can take a guess on the powerhead, looking at the plugs lower unit fluid etc, but lots of that can be masquaraded, compression test is the only choice, I would tell him thats your intent that you ll do the deal but on that condition and find a local marina up there to do it before any exchange of loot, if it fails its his bill it if passes its your bill to pay...IMO that should flush out his true intentions

and here I agree with wayne if there is no fluid in the gear case or if it hasnt been fogged I would raise the flag

Edited by aniceguy