Voicing my displeasure... with CTC

Headhunter

In most cases I am pretty happy with my local Canadian Tire. It has been family run for he last gazzilion years. They have expanded it from less than 30,000 Sq' to over 200,000 Sq'. The only negative is that I think they are losing the plot a little bit in some of the areas they are expanding into. WalMart they are not!

Service has always been pretty good.

If you want to get me going on misleading advertising try Zellers, HBC, Sears........they do it continually. So much so that I have spent my last dollar at any of those 3.

I had a bad experience getting chased around last spring trying to get a metal detector they were advertising. They sold me a model number that had been discontinued after being sent to THREE different stores that showed them having the item. I finally mailed a letter to CTC head office, customer relations, and copied it to the managers of the 3 stores that had it listed in stock. Within a few days I recieved a call from a customer service manager, who offered to courier me the right detector, at the advertised price to me at their cost. She also said I'd be receiving a letter of apology, which I did! Plus . . . a $50.00 cheque for my trouble! I posted this in May of last year, with a photo of the letter & cheque. Jumping up and down & foaming at the mouth here will get you NOPLACE. First . . go to the store nearest you with the ad, ask for the product . . . . if they do not have it, and either can't prove they've ever had it, or admit this, ask for the manager. THIS is where you start documenting things . . . date . . . time . . . who you spoke to, and the gist of the conversation. If you get dicked around, leave, call a few more stores in the area AFTER checking their sites to see if your item is stocked. If they don't have it either, as for the customer service rep. Again, DOCUMENT everything, including the name of the rep, also explain you would like the name of the store manager, because you will putting your complaint on paper. Then, call head office, as for the name of the customer service manager and their mailing address. Then write a letter explaining you've been a loyal customer for XX amount of years, but lately the service has been getting very poor, then explain your plight and ask if this is a good way to treat a log-time customer? And what you think is fair. AT NO TIME DO YOU BECOME IMPOLITE, OR DEMANDING . . . this will getcha NOWHERE. The names you are writing MUST be spelled properly, the spelling in the rest of the letter should NOT have mistakes of inconsistencies. When you're finished your letter, check it twice, then check it again . . . there's nothing that has more power than a well written, factually correct letter of complaint! Do this, follow it to a 'T' and I guarantee you'll get results!

Well said.....

Well, to be honest with you, while there may be some problems with CTC they treat me like royality. I have taken defective things back there without a receipt many times over the years and they have always been able to work something out that I thought was fair and reasonable. Sooooooo, Are they perfict? No! Will I continue to shop there because of their customer service, prices, and selection? You bet I will!

BTW HH, I checked all the CTC stores in our area and they are all out of stock too!

I went there a few weeks ago to get the rangefinder on sale for 99 bucks and they didn't have it so I got a rain check, I still haven't received a call and I went in again and was told last week they don't expect any until the 17th at the earliest. I don't understand why they advertise and then have it backordered :wallbash:

I just got a raincheck for one in St.Catharines today, the guy in sporting goods department was really good. He said they should get them in in 7-10 days and they would call and leave a message. He said these sleds have been in the flyer for a few years but the old ones were really wide and they never sold well. He said the new ones are much smaller and generating alot of interest so they will be adjusting going forward. He said they let the stores know what will be in the flyer but it's up to the store if they want to stock the item or not. On a side note also said they have sold more icefishing rods this year then they ever have so it's hard to predict demand....I'll let you know if I get it as promised or will it be next year......

Edited by BigSmallie

Its funny how these Canadian Tire Stores Work. In North Battleford they have nothing left on Sale. Its in the Truck on its way but it Rolled in the Rocky Mountains somewhere. Or, the computer says we have two left but we cant find them.

As far as fishing, they never have any in store Sales. But when I check out the store in Prince Albert, three hours away, I'm in fishing heaven with all their sales. It was the same for Collingwood also. But I still say my favorite store is still CTC. Their flyer is something I always look forward to.

simply put canadian tire is a great store with the amount of things u CAN get there, but they are the absolute worst company of having items in stock. several times i have been disappointed with them not having items on sale. they have a bad habit of allowing their employees purchase sale items before the general public gets a chance and then they have no stock left. the rainchecks are great, WHEN its worth it and they actually get the product in quickly. and for anyone curious, no store in hamilton, stoney creek or burlington has any of the ice sleds left in stock.

Joe.. Joe.. Joe... we had this CTC piss and moan last year, but Stoty lead the charge ! lol

Ya, and what's your point Irish?

CT is managed poorly.

When you advertise things for sale...ALL stores should have it IN STOCK.

It's pathetic that some stores dont get the "on sale" item at all!!

It's common sense.

LOL Jamie... don't get your knickers in a knot! Just razzin Joe. You need to lengthen that fuse of yours... I think they sell stuff on the internet for that... :lol:

As for "sale" stuff being hit and miss..... no different at Rona.. Home Depot.. Home Hardware.. Walmart.. etc. It's demographics.... Can't see many store owners in downtown Toronto even thinking of ordering ice fishing stuff...although of course they probably should. Issue is they probably don't see much go off the shelves at retail price so don't order in extra for sales in case they get stuck with it.. since CTC policy is (or at least was) they can't trade product between franchises.

Edited by irishfield

Apparently they dont take the "Canadian" part in their name seriously.

We are in Canada, and more specifically Ontario.

Canadians ice fish. No matter if they live by the Bay of Quinte or downtown TO.

If the product manager reads this...ALL stores should have stock! LOL

LOL Jamie... don't get your knickers in a knot! Just razzin Joe. You need to lengthen that fuse of yours... I think they sell stuff on the internet for that... :lol:

As for "sale" stuff being hit and miss..... no different at Rona.. Home Depot.. Home Hardware.. Walmart.. etc. It's demographics.... Can't see many store owners in downtown Toronto even thinking of ordering ice fishing stuff...although of course they probably should. Issue is they probably don't see much go off the shelves at retail price so don't order in extra for sales in case they get stuck with it.. since CTC policy is (or at least was) they can't trade product between franchises.

It's not "hit and miss", it's "bait and switch".

They advertise that they have a certain product selling way below cost just to get you in the store. When honest companies do it, it's called "a loss leader" - the difference is, the honest company will actually have the item in stock even though they lose money on that item, because they hope to make it up on your additional purchases.

In Canadian Tire's case, they never did have the product in stock but tell you "sorry, we're sold out." "Oh - While you're here can we interest you in something else?"

And you defend this immoral practice? And, you call Stoty a "moaner, whiner, etc.." for complaining about it?

LOL whatever.

For all those who've been around the block for some time, remember Towers? They had the same shoddy track record for not carrying adequate inventories of advertised items.

Towers now that brings back some memories.... The Towers here closed and what store filled the hole in the mall? Zellers which was at best a step side ways. Them Zellers move over to where Kmart was and really took a dive in stocking items.

The only rival for Towers in incompetance was Consumers Distributing LOL

They have some in Espanola !!! :D

..and Burlington on Guelph Line..

..and Waterdown..

Thanks Wayne, just had my dad grab one for me from the Waterdown store this morning. :thumbsup_anim:

(BTW, if I can make a suggestion. To those of you who've got a problem with CT and are looking for an outlet to vent your frustration.....send all your thoughts to Cliff (ccmt) via pm!! :whistling::D:D )

Edited by solopaddler

Thanks Wayne, just had my dad grab one for me from the Waterdown store this morning. :thumbsup_anim:

(BTW, if I can make a suggestion. To those of you who've got a problem CT and are looking for an outlet to vent your frustration.....send all your thoughts to Cliff (ccmt) via pm!! :whistling::D:D )

There's a reason I haven't responded on this thread ya know!!!

You owe me a trip to the Manistee now...or something similar...

And umm...I'm keeping that shot and roe container you loaned me....LOL