Power Auger Mount for Sled

irishfield

Saw TroutMuskieHunters post the other day about his ATV auger mount and that reminded me I still had some work to do... so I could carry my "arm saver". Threw this one together from scrap wood, an old 1/2 quart can of Tremclad.. some bungees and some eye hooks. The tail light on sled is still visible.. but I added clearance lights just in case someone runs up close in the dark. They were sitting on the bench behind me.. so why not!

Nice Job Wayne. Great set up

I've wondered in the past if the gas/oil would leak when the augers are put on their side.

I guess not as I see many doing it.

Cheers

Craig

I was going to mount it on the nose of the sled first... handles up and down instead of sideways as mine has the filler pointing the way it does. Many point up when on their side. Decided it was too much work to make a mount up there.. make it swing out of the way etc so you could open the hood on the sled and put it back there. I can still open my "glove" box below the brake light and I think it's high enough to clear the snow when in deep. I have the tank full and the vent screw closed. No leakage. I did have some gear box oil leaking though.. and snugged all the gear case bolts.

This picture before paint shows the structure better. The 2 x 4 under the handles is carved out to fit the slope of the handle bars.

Edited by irishfield

Looks good, now all you need is a cover for the power head. It's gonna take a beating behind that machine. Don't be surprised if you get to your spot, and the auger is a block of ice! Been there, done that, and it sucked!!

You need a portable, with a good cover to haul that auger around! :)

Sinker

I'm ticked with myself. Ordered spare blades for my hand auger and an extension for the power auger from wholesale sports out west and they have a head cover for $25. My order is already shipped so... I'll see what I can find around here first.

Edited by irishfield

Sinker... how's this ! lol Found the gym bag in a box of throw outs from our daughters room. Brand new bag (free from dupont ski day) with a broken zipper. Works perfect as is... as the double zipper has a filler panel between them. I can zip up the one good zipper and wrap the other side up with the strap. Bonus is it has zipper pockets that fit the auger extension and a few small items.

Guest skeeter99
Sinker... how's this ! lol Found the gym bag in a box of throw outs from our daughters room. Brand new bag (free from dupont ski day) with a broken zipper. Works perfect as is... as the double zipper has a filler panel between them. I can zip up the one good zipper and wrap the other side up with the strap. Bonus is it has zipper pockets that fit the auger extension and a few small items.

Hey

I kept it simple I used the bag from one of my old helmets with the adjustable gromets, covers the power and such like a glove and is fully adjustable

Great idea skeeter99..... but I only have the one on my brand new helmet. I've got to go over to the sled store tomorrow to get the wife a new visor.. maybe I'll see if they have a helmet bag kicking around as well.

Edited by irishfield

• 3 weeks later...

Worked nice too this weekend. Real easy to get it off the mount and start drilling holes.

Also found because of the way I built the shaft support to hug the very top of the spiral of the auger... I can take the power head off and put in the truck... and leave the auger inplace for travel when the sleds on the truck.