Tying harnesses

john vail

My lake is a very typical shield lake, deep and clear with several deep basins. Because of the water clarity I started using 12lb fluorocarbon for my rigs (P-Line CFX 1st choice) and stretching them out a little longer.

My success has skyrocketed since I started doing this.

In more typical situations where're I'm facing more boggy tanin stained water I still use 20lb clear Trilene XT.

I tie all of my own and use 30lb mono. I have no real reason. When I started many years ago, I had a bulk spool of 30lb and found that it worked well so I stayed with it. I have a few made up in advance that I keep in ziploc bags (not coiled) so they're straight and work well. If I need another colour blade(s) beads or length of mono, I make make them right in the boat. I find that it's not worth having a lot of them already tied as they only take 2 minutes to make.

There's no reason why 20lb wouldn't work...that I could think of....

I guess I'm in the minority, I tie mine with 8lb XT, sometimes or 8XL. Works for me. I've tried some Floro but I didn't like it. :Gonefishing:

Really depends on the fluoro as to whether it's an advantage or not in clear water.

Some are stiffer and more abrasion resistant than others...

Everything is overkill with me, so it may not actually be a necessity. :) .

My sudden success could have more to do with the longer 5-6' leads than anything else.

(I'll have to experiment more this year).

There's no doubt that especially in the summer pulling spinner rigs is more of a reaction bite.

You're covering a lot of water quickly and triggering fish to hit.

Edited by solopaddler

I use 15# Gamma floro and it has held up very well on many of the lakes that I have fished. My main line is 10# so it will work well with the cranks that are list in the Precision Trolling book. With your drag set correctly and a good rod, you should be able to get many walleyes in the boat.

I did see some heavy line and "wire" used last yr while I was fishing the MWC in Dunkirk NY. The fish were deep 80-110 down and it did not seem to spook the walleyes.

Erie_harness.jpg