Ambassadeur Record

solopaddler

I already did a search on the board and found some chatter on the Record reels, but I'm looking to be nudged one way or the other :) .

I'm in the market for a couple of larger reels to use for esox and found an online source where I can get the largest Record for $94 U.S.

Seems like a pretty good price but uncharacteristically I'm hesitant. My finger was hovering over the "pay now" icon earlier today and I chickened out. :)

What'ya say boys, yay or nay?

Mike

Do a search here: Stripers On Line The beach chuckers have a lot to say about ABU's and other good quality reels. Lots of info on tweaking them too. :P

You have to register to search. Can't you just tell me instead? :dunno:

BTW what in Gods green earth is someone in Yellowknife doing lurking on a board dedicated to surf fishing for stripers? LOL!

You know until this moment it never dawned on me that you might fish for other species.

I thought you came out the womb with a pin in your hand!

I wish I had something useful to say here, but it really dont other than that seems like a great price

You know until this moment it never dawned on me that you might fish for other species.

I thought you came out the womb with a pin in your hand!

I wish I had something useful to say here, but it really dont other than that seems like a great price

I despise being called a "steelheader", don't like to be pidgeonholed. "Pinner" is another new age term that makes me shudder LOL!

From May 'till October I fish for other species and frankly love it just as much as steelheading.

I have an Abu Record, I use it for all sorts of things - downrigging (very handy, I use the freespool and clicker when setting lines) and also for trolling or casting for esox and lakers. It has a flipping switch or something that momentarily disengages drag for depth or length adjustments.

I think I paid about $140 for mine.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewabugarciarecord.html

I have a couple of Records that I use on a regular basis. From drift fishing the Niagara for Steelhead to fishing Snook and Redfish in Florida.The reels have performed well under all conditions with no repairs or overhaul so far.The price sounds good as well.Good Luck!

Jamie

I despise being called a "steelheader", don't like to be pidgeonholed. "Pinner" is another new age term that makes me shudder LOL!

From May 'till October I fish for other species and frankly love it just as much as steelheading.

I never meant to say it as in hes just a steelheader, I just kinda chuckeled to myself when I thought holy crap...I bet he slays other species too!

I dont mind being called a steelheader, as long as its not of the elitist variety. A certain website that I refuse to visit ever again comes to mind...

Hope you get what you need out of the reel

I have one that I use for catfishing, to clarify I mean Blue cats and shovel head cats, I purchased it this past year and I have caught anywhere from 55-75 fish over twenty pounds on it , The reel casts great and Ive not had problems when retrieving under a load. The only issue I have with the reel is I like to leave my reels in freel spool as blue cats are very agressive. the record unlike the 6500s and 7000s series has a thumb bar and not a release on the upper side of the reel which you can visulize is in the open position, the record requires a little more attention, You might also want to look at the rocket reel

You have to register to search. Can't you just tell me instead? :dunno:

BTW what in Gods green earth is someone in Yellowknife doing lurking on a board dedicated to surf fishing for stripers? LOL!

Mikey

You of all people should know that tackle and techniques can cross over between species.

There is lots of good info on tackle and techniques on that board.

Mikey

You of all people should know that tackle and techniques can cross over between species.

There is lots of good info on tackle and techniques on that board.

Yeah, yeah whatever :blahblah1: .

I could maybe see you googling "Strippers online", but "Stripers online"? c'mon man!!! :D:D:D

Mike, I am far from a muskie guy, but I tossed a lot of big baits(10" weighted Suicks, DC10's, etc) for those fish this summer with a Record 60 and a 8' Shimano Compre..

Loved the reel, not a single problem with it.

Cool bro thanks. How'd you like the 8' Compre?

Really like the Compre, makes tossing those big baits so much easier. I also had a 6'9 Compre XH jerkbait rod and found that I could do everything with the 8'.

Really nice for figure 8's, you can really vary the depth with a long stick like that.(Not like I even got a wiff of a muskie on my setup, I caught my only muskie this year fishing for bass :) )

You are more them welcome to give it a shot for a few days, maybe even on some pike up at the camp? :) :)

Edited by BillM

Really like the Compre, makes tossing those big baits so much easier. I also had a 6'9 Compre XH jerkbait rod and found that I could do everything with the 8'.

Really nice for figure 8's, you can really vary the depth with a long stick like that.(Not like I even got a wiff of a muskie on my setup, I caught my only muskie this year fishing for bass :) )

You are more them welcome to give it a shot for a few days, maybe even on some pike up at the camp? :) :)

Sounds good bud. We'll have to get up to my place in QC in the spring for sure, we'll lay a beatin' on 'em. :)